Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Sjouke Burry[_2_] Sjouke Burry[_2_] is offline

Default can I swap out 125 W mercury vapor medium base for 175 W mercuryvapor mogul base?

On 09.09.19 1:43, Larz wrote:
On 9/8/19 5:46 PM, Sjouke Burry wrote:
On 08.09.19 3:19, Larz wrote:
I picked up a surplus yard light called Electripak SV-175M thinking that
it was 175 watts. It uses a mercury vapor bulb, but the bulb inside
appears to be 125 W. Since I want to use 175 W mercury vapor instead,
is it possible to swap out the medium base for mogul base and use the
175 W mercury vapor bulb? It has an H42 ballast, no capacitor. Thank
you.

The ballast and supply voltage determine power, so your 175 watt lamp
will not get the power you want to feed it.
Lamp an ballast go together.

I'm changing out the ballast for the proper type. It comes with a
capacitor. There currently is NOT one with the existing 125 W bulb and
ballast and I am wondering if I should include it?

The cap might be for COS Phi correction, and have no influence
on the lamp/ballast combo, just correcting Phi back to zero.
In industrial applications that Phi correction is demanded by the power
company.