Old September 9th 19, 11:04 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default can I swap out 125 W mercury vapor medium base for 175 W mercuryvapor mogul base?

On Monday, 9 September 2019 00:43:23 UTC+1, Larz wrote:
On 9/8/19 5:46 PM, Sjouke Burry wrote:
On 08.09.19 3:19, Larz wrote:

I picked up a surplus yard light called Electripak SV-175M thinking that
it was 175 watts.¬* It uses a mercury vapor bulb, but the bulb inside
appears to be 125 W.¬* Since I want to use 175 W mercury vapor instead,
is it possible to swap out the medium base for mogul base and use the
175 W mercury vapor bulb?¬* It has an H42 ballast, no capacitor.¬* Thank
you.

The ballast and supply voltage determine power, so your 175 watt lamp
will not get the power you want¬* to feed it.
Lamp an ballast go together.

I'm changing out the ballast for the proper type. It comes with a
capacitor. There currently is NOT one with the existing 125 W bulb and
ballast and I am wondering if I should include it?

Who knows what that means. Ask us again, but clearly