Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Crazy idea?

On 5/15/19 9:37 PM, Michael Terrell wrote:
On Saturday, May 11, 2019 at 6:52:09 AM UTC-4, Fox's Mercantile wrote:
On 5/11/19 2:15 AM, Michael Terrell wrote:
On Friday, May 10, 2019 at 10:04:33 PM UTC-4, wrote:

Were transistors or semi-conductors also around back then? Incidentally, I know little about science, math and technology, so you know: I'm just curious.

Yes:

Diodes were the first semiconductor electronic devices. The discovery of crystals' rectifying abilities was made by German physicist Ferdinand Braun in 1874. The first semiconductor diodes, called cat's whisker diodes were made of crystals of minerals such as galena.

An accurate, but totally useless answer that you cut and pasted from:
http://www.idc-online.com/technical_references/pdfs/electronic_engineering/History_of_diode.pdf

No, I have never been to that site, but nice try, Skippy!

It came from he https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_rectifier

So what, it was still word for word verbatim copy and past
Transistors weren't invented until 1947.

Generators were in use until the '60s, and mechanical regulators were
in use up to the 70's because prior to that they didn't have reliable
diodes and transistors.

So I repeat, in 1939, no.

Repeat it all you want. Bipolars were developed in the '40s, but Field Effect were much earlier. They were unable to manufacture them, until the metalurgy improved to an acceptable level to do more that create single FETs in the lab.

Blather all you want about lab curiosities.

His question, and the answer, were with regards to solid state devices
used in production on 1939 tractors.

There weren't any. So unless you can prove otherwise, go **** yourself.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thursday, May 16, 2019 at 10:08:37 AM UTC-4, Fox's Mercantile wrote:

There weren't any. So unless you can prove otherwise, go **** yourself.

Yet another lame cut & paste insult that only you lying, brain dead liberals can do, Skippy?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 5/16/19 8:40 PM, Michael Terrell wrote:
On Thursday, May 16, 2019 at 10:08:37 AM UTC-4, Fox's Mercantile wrote:

There weren't any. So unless you can prove otherwise, go **** yourself.

Yet another lame cut & paste insult that only you lying, brain dead liberals can do, Skippy?

Congratulations, you've proved my point.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I think the OP was asking a simple question about powering the 12 v clutch using the 6 volt supply from the tractor AND a 6 volt battery in SERIES.

YES, that will work fine.

If you want to get fancy you can hook up a DPDT switch so the 6 V battery is charged by the tractor when the battery is not being used to power the clutch.

mark

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I think the OP was asking a simple question about powering the 12 v clutch using the 6 volt supply from the tractor AND a 6 volt battery in SERIES.

YES, that will work fine.

If you want to get fancy you can hook up a DPDT switch so the 6 V battery is charged by the tractor when the battery is not being used to power the clutch.

mark

Actually I was thinking of using the tractor generator is series with
the existing tractor battey, not an extra battery.
Eric

ok, that would be a bit more complicated and risky.