Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Good Idea / Bad Idea - Weird Idea

Greg, (and anybody else interested)

I am a member of a number of different fishing tackle making forums, and
your post the other day reminded me of a trick one member in Malaysia came
up with due to the difficulty of ordering various tools. He roughs out
blanks for crankbaits, and then hand carves them to finish before adding
bills, hardware, and paint. It's a pretty common skills set practiced by
the hard bait members of the forums. Many of them use a small bench top
band saw for roughing out their basic shapes. A few use a scroll saws.
Neither was readily available where he was located so he came up with a
different solution. He mounted a jigsaw upside down to a small table with
the blade sticking up through a hole. Much like the cheesy table saw
adaptations we see using a circular saw. I don't know how safe it is, but
he claimed it worked really well for roughing out his wood blanks, and was
much easier than using a jig saw in a conventional manner to cut a blank out
of a board.

I hope I didn't just cost somebody a finger for passing this on.

John Smith
LOL

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, June 2, 2014 12:06:30 PM UTC-7, Bob La Londe wrote:

... He mounted a jigsaw upside down to a small table with
the blade sticking up through a hole. Much like the cheesy table saw
adaptations we see using a circular saw. I don't know how safe it is

I've done that. For thin material (1/4" plywood) it gives good control
and excellent cut visibility. In a pinch, just clamp the saw in the
vise, lock the power switch, and go! I use a power strip, the
cutoff switch there serves in an emergency.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bob La Londe" wrote in
:

[...]

The Shopmate Sabre-lathe Model 2610T0 used a jigsaw blade in such a
manner. There was apparently a table that came with the saw, and a
jigsaw blade would be mounted on the rear oscillating piece using a set
screw.

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

Water Heater Flushing: Good idea or bad idea? VQ Home Repair 16 November 20th 17 04:14 AM
Lowering Lathe Speeds With A Rheostadt. OK idea? Bad idea? KIMOSABE Woodworking 7 February 19th 09 05:30 PM
Good Idea - Bad Idea Carl Metalworking 0 December 16th 08 04:56 PM
Weird idea HeyBub Home Repair 27 January 9th 07 12:12 AM
Brilliant Idea or Dumb Idea charlie b Woodturning 10 September 24th 06 03:18 PM