Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Good Idea / Bad Idea - Weird Idea

Greg, (and anybody else interested)

I am a member of a number of different fishing tackle making forums, and
your post the other day reminded me of a trick one member in Malaysia came
up with due to the difficulty of ordering various tools. He roughs out
blanks for crankbaits, and then hand carves them to finish before adding
bills, hardware, and paint. It's a pretty common skills set practiced by
the hard bait members of the forums. Many of them use a small bench top
band saw for roughing out their basic shapes. A few use a scroll saws.
Neither was readily available where he was located so he came up with a
different solution. He mounted a jigsaw upside down to a small table with
the blade sticking up through a hole. Much like the cheesy table saw
adaptations we see using a circular saw. I don't know how safe it is, but
he claimed it worked really well for roughing out his wood blanks, and was
much easier than using a jig saw in a conventional manner to cut a blank out
of a board.

I hope I didn't just cost somebody a finger for passing this on.

John Smith
LOL