Posted to alt.home.repair
mike

Default Crazy idea? Painting Indian Peacock slate to bring it back to life.

We have a beautiful Indian Peacock slate corridor in the school I'm at.
Over time the sealer has worn away in some places and underneath is
dull and lacks the original pattern.

I wonder if it might be possible to "touch up" that slate which has
been revealed - we tried different shades of shoe polish, that did not
work. It wouldn't stick to the slate.
But what about oil paints or something else.

If we succeed witht the touch up, we will seal it again and it will be
good for a few more years.

Mike

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

mike wrote:
We have a beautiful Indian Peacock slate corridor in the school I'm
at. Over time the sealer has worn away in some places and underneath
is dull and lacks the original pattern.

I wonder if it might be possible to "touch up" that slate which has
been revealed - we tried different shades of shoe polish, that did not
work. It wouldn't stick to the slate.
But what about oil paints or something else.

If we succeed witht the touch up, we will seal it again and it will be
good for a few more years.

Mike

Why not clean it and use a commercial sealer?

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn

mike wrote:

We have a beautiful Indian Peacock slate corridor in the school I'm at.
Over time the sealer has worn away in some places and underneath is
dull and lacks the original pattern.

I wonder if it might be possible to "touch up" that slate which has
been revealed - we tried different shades of shoe polish, that did not
work. It wouldn't stick to the slate.
But what about oil paints or something else.

If we succeed witht the touch up, we will seal it again and it will be
good for a few more years.

Mike

I don't know what "Indian Peacock" slate is, but it seems color would be
restored if it is cleaned and similar sealer used???? Is the peacock
painted on? Hope you didn't use wax polish )

FWIW, I have painted concrete to hide stains caused by spilled wood
stain. Fairly good results using hobby acryllic paint, but doubtful it
would be good on a floor with significant traffic. Probably would soak
into slate a bit, but would not attempt it without trying out on scrap
first.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn

On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 14:05:56 GMT, Norminn
wrote:

mike wrote:

We have a beautiful Indian Peacock slate corridor in the school I'm at.
Over time the sealer has worn away in some places and underneath is
dull and lacks the original pattern.

I wonder if it might be possible to "touch up" that slate which has
been revealed - we tried different shades of shoe polish, that did not
work. It wouldn't stick to the slate.
But what about oil paints or something else.

If we succeed witht the touch up, we will seal it again and it will be
good for a few more years.

Mike

I don't know what "Indian Peacock" slate is, but it seems color would be
restored if it is cleaned and similar sealer used???? Is the peacock
painted on? Hope you didn't use wax polish )

It's a tiling slate with varying amounts of red mottling,
from India. Painting it is a bad idea. If it's
not split-face, then polishing might help, after which
you'd coat it with this goop:

http://www.glaze-n-seal.com/docs/fac...ler%20FS39.pdf