Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Crazy idea number 423

Connect your mains water supply to a generator and get a constant free 150 watts.

--
Please keep your hands off the secretary's reproducing equipment.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:
Connect your mains water supply to a generator and get a constant free
150 watts.

Not constant, only when using water.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

F Murtz wrote:
Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:
Connect your mains water supply to a generator and get a constant free
150 watts.

Not constant, only when using water.

He could use water constantly, if you regard generating power from water
as "using" it.

--
Mike Barnes
Cheshire, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Mike Barnes
writes
F Murtz wrote:
Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:
Connect your mains water supply to a generator and get a constant free
150 watts.

Not constant, only when using water.

He could use water constantly, if you regard generating power from
water as "using" it.

Realistically, though, could it work, for those with high incoming mains
water pressure? Obviously not constantly, particularly if metered (!),
but could not the incoming main be routed via a dynamo of some type,
perhaps to charge batteries which would provide a constant power source?

Probably only practical for those home all day (more/regular water
usage), but would the power generated be sufficient to make the project
worthwhile?

Someone here (Tim?) has high water pressure. Project for this weekend?
You've got three days, too! :-)

--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tough Guy no. 1265" wrote in message
news
Connect your mains water supply to a generator and get a constant free 150
watts.

Been thought of years ago.
Byelaws against it in many areas.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Well, would this not rather reduce the flow rate?. If you had to pump the
water up to a holding tank it would obviously be using up more power than
you were generating. also of course, if you were not filling a tank or using
water at other times, you would not make any electricity.

What you would need is to tap into a main some place so water is more likely
to be being used constantly, but I suggest that doing that might just be a
little bit illegal.

I've often wonder about speaker phones powered by the telephone line
voltage. I used to have one that was quite loud, but one I bought more
recently from Argos is pretty rubbish on the volume side. However I did
notice that one could get enough current legally to trickle charge some
batteries of the aa type.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Tough Guy no. 1265" wrote in message
news
Connect your mains water supply to a generator and get a constant free 150
watts.

--
Please keep your hands off the secretary's reproducing equipment.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I've often wondered if it would be possible to harvest the static one gets
in some houses that gives you a jolt when you touch a radiator or whatever.
There is obviously some power there, but it seems its like charging a
capacitor up, rather than having any constant current usability.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"News" wrote in message
In message , Mike Barnes
writes
F Murtz wrote:
Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

News wrote:
In message , Mike Barnes
writes
F Murtz wrote:
Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:
Connect your mains water supply to a generator and get a constant free
150 watts.

Not constant, only when using water.

He could use water constantly, if you regard generating power from
water as "using" it.

Realistically, though, could it work, for those with high incoming mains
water pressure? Obviously not constantly, particularly if metered (!),
but could not the incoming main be routed via a dynamo of some type,
perhaps to charge batteries which would provide a constant power source?

Probably only practical for those home all day (more/regular water
usage), but would the power generated be sufficient to make the project
worthwhile?

Someone here (Tim?) has high water pressure. Project for this weekend?
You've got three days, too! :-)

pick object=nit
High pressure is not necessarily useful. I used to live in an old house
where the (static) pressure was very high but the flow rate was
miserable, due to small-bore pipes. The power generated would have been
truly pathetic.
/pick

--
Mike Barnes
Cheshire, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Brian Gaff
writes
Well, would this not rather reduce the flow rate?. If you had to pump the
water up to a holding tank it would obviously be using up more power than
you were generating. also of course, if you were not filling a tank or using
water at other times, you would not make any electricity.

Brian, yes, it would reduce the flow rate, but, if used by those who
already have high water pressure, could enough electricity be generated
to be useful, if doing so reduced their high pressure to 'normal'
pressure, thereby keeping the existing tank system, and sufficient
residual water pressure to fill the tank without a pump?

Moving on from there, what about other moving water? Could waste water
be utilised without reducing the flow too much? A few more volts every
time an upstairs toilet/bath/shower was used?
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , News
writes
In message , Mike Barnes
writes
F Murtz wrote:
Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:
Connect your mains water supply to a generator and get a constant free
150 watts.

Not constant, only when using water.

He could use water constantly, if you regard generating power from
water as "using" it.

Realistically, though, could it work, for those with high incoming
mains water pressure? Obviously not constantly, particularly if
metered (!), but could not the incoming main be routed via a dynamo of
some type, perhaps to charge batteries which would provide a constant
power source?

Probably only practical for those home all day (more/regular water
usage), but would the power generated be sufficient to make the project
worthwhile?

Someone here (Tim?) has high water pressure. Project for this weekend?
You've got three days, too! :-)

Not sure if that is me. You all know how challenging I find mathematics.

Starter for 1. Annual consumption around 227cu.m, pressure around 5bar
static. Presumably 1bar or so will be needed to overcome local pipe
losses and create the draw off flow.

I'm not convinced of the *physics* as I don't see energy stored in the
supply.

--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:
Connect your mains water supply to a generator and get a constant free
150 watts.

And if on a water meter, will cost you *far* more than just paying for the
electricity.

--
*Support bacteria - they're the only culture some people have *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/04/2015 17:32, Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:
Connect your mains water supply to a generator and get a constant free
150 watts.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Light-Shower.../dp/B001UIX4E0

OK, hardly 150 watts, but water powered.

Cheers
--
Syd
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 28 Apr 2015 08:28:53 +0100
"Brian Gaff" wrote:

I've often wondered if it would be possible to harvest the static
one gets in some houses that gives you a jolt when you touch a
radiator or whatever. There is obviously some power there, but it
seems its like charging a capacitor up, rather than having any
constant current usability. Brian

We used to have a dog which had fun touching its nose to the back of
our knees and watching our reaction as the static discharged and jerked
our muscles.

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 27 Apr 2015 17:32:35 +0100
"Tough Guy no. 1265" wrote:

Connect your mains water supply to a generator and get a constant
free 150 watts.

I've seen some basement emergency pumps that use mains water as the
power source, for use during a power outage, but this seems a bit off.

http://www.amazon.com/Basepump-750-E...ered+Sump+Pump

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:
Connect your mains water supply to a generator and get a constant free
150 watts.

And if on a water meter, will cost you *far* more than just paying for the
electricity.

Yes, "constant" would be silly. But if your water was higher pressure than
you needed and you were going to have a pressure reducing valve anyway,
then putting in a generator upstream that generated electricity when you
wanted the water flowing anyway might work, though I doubt it would be
economic domestically.

The same basic principle is actually used on a larger scale though:
http://magazine.good.is/articles/por...-turbine-power
"Fast Company points out that, in order to be cost and energy effective,
Portland's new power generators must be installed in pipes where water
flows downhill, without having to be pumped, as the energy necessary to
pump the water would negate the subsequent energy gleaned."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/04/2015 08:15, harryagain wrote:
"Tough Guy no. 1265" wrote in message
news
Connect your mains water supply to a generator and get a constant free 150
watts.

Been thought of years ago.
Byelaws against it in many areas.

Laws are meaningless to Tough Guy.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 28 Apr 2015 08:15:41 +0100, harryagain wrote:

"Tough Guy no. 1265" wrote in message
news
Connect your mains water supply to a generator and get a constant free 150
watts.

Been thought of years ago.
Byelaws against it in many areas.

Catch me if you can.

--
A bleached blonde and a natural blonde were on top of the Empire State Building.
How do you tell them apart?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 28 Apr 2015 17:16:14 +0100, Bod wrote:

On 28/04/2015 08:15, harryagain wrote:
"Tough Guy no. 1265" wrote in message
news
Connect your mains water supply to a generator and get a constant free 150
watts.

Been thought of years ago.
Byelaws against it in many areas.

Laws are meaningless to Tough Guy.

It's only illegal if you're caught. I'd say 99% of people break at least one of the following laws:
Speeding
Smoking marajuana
Downloading mp3s

--
A bleached blonde and a natural blonde were on top of the Empire State Building.
How do you tell them apart?
The bleached blonde would never throw bread to the helicopters.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 28 Apr 2015 10:55:30 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:
Connect your mains water supply to a generator and get a constant free
150 watts.

And if on a water meter, will cost you *far* more than just paying for the
electricity.

I live in a very wet area, there are no meters thankfully.

--
A man goes to the Doctor and says "Doctor I think my wife's been dead for two weeks."
"Dead for two weeks, how did you work that out?"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tough Guy no. 1265" wrote:

Connect your mains water supply to a generator and get a constant
free 150 watts.

I've seen some basement emergency pumps that use mains water as the
power source, for use during a power outage, but this seems a bit off.

http://www.amazon.com/Basepump-750-E...ered+Sump+Pump

That looks like an excellent product.

--
The wife said to me last night "If you turn the bedside lamp off I'll take it up the arse."
Maybe I should have waited for the bulb to cool down first.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I doubt there's much power in it at all. You can create statics like that by gently rubbing some plastic sheeting together, without expending much of your energy.

On Tue, 28 Apr 2015 08:28:53 +0100, Brian Gaff wrote:

I've often wondered if it would be possible to harvest the static one gets
in some houses that gives you a jolt when you touch a radiator or whatever.
There is obviously some power there, but it seems its like charging a
capacitor up, rather than having any constant current usability.
Brian

--
A minister gave a talk to the Lions Club on sex. When he got home, he couldn't tell his wife that he had spoken on sex, so he said he had discussed horseback riding with the members.
A few days later, she ran into some men at the shopping center and they complimented her on the speech her husband had made.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 28 Apr 2015 11:26:42 +0100, Syd Rumpo wrote:

On 27/04/2015 17:32, Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:
Connect your mains water supply to a generator and get a constant free
150 watts.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Light-Shower.../dp/B001UIX4E0

OK, hardly 150 watts, but water powered.

I can't see the advantage of knowing the water temperature by looking at it. What's wrong with feeling it, much more precise. I guess you could fit them in public showers so people could show off and have a cold shower in front of everyone.

--
A Catholic boy in confession says, €śBless me Father, I have sinned, I masturbated while thinking about my sister.€ť
€śThat's a disgrace,€ť said the priest, €śespecially when you have two gorgeous younger brothers.€ť