Old January 9th 19, 11:27 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default curious symptom old Fisher stereo amp, inputs strange

On Wednesday, January 9, 2019 at 3:30:16 PM UTC-5, wrote:
wrote: "Other way round."

Nope. I hooked the thing up via literal interpretation, and
got no playback audio from tapes, and nothing recorded
to blanks.

Once I reversed them, like I said, everything worked as it
was expected to.

And as can be seen from Terry's testimony some posts back,
I'm not the only one experiencing gear labeled counterintuitively
to how it was supposed to be hooked up.

You weren't there in either of our cases, so you can't refute
either of our experiences.

No one is calling you a liar, but after nearly 50 years repairing consumer electronics as a career, I've never seen one wired like that. To me, this means the examples you cite are aberrations or at least a very small percentage of the units in service. They could have been wired that way intentionally or maybe the jacks or TM switch were miswired. It's also possible the rear panel was simply silk-screened incorrectly or a revised version was released with the previous version's back panel.

As I pointed out above, the other possibility is that the INs and OUTs were prefaced by "connect to", which changes the context entirely. I recall some low end packaged component systems that did not use universal nomenclature, but had connection "instructions" on the back panel (ie: connect to tape deck output).

Old January 11th 19, 02:26 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

MIDI in and out confuses me though.

I've never been able to get it to work except by trying it both ways.

Weird thing on this Fisher amp. Putting in headphones (and it's a 1/4 inch jack) disconnects speakers automatically. There's no way to have both room sound and headphone sound. Still it's nice to have this working again.
Old January 11th 19, 02:29 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Friday, January 11, 2019 at 9:26:30 AM UTC-5, Tim R wrote:
MIDI in and out confuses me though.

I've never been able to get it to work except by trying it both ways.

Weird thing on this Fisher amp. Putting in headphones (and it's a 1/4 inch jack) disconnects speakers automatically. There's no way to have both room sound and headphone sound. Still it's nice to have this working again.

This is a very common setup. I have received units with no sound that turned out to be a failure of the headphone jack. Without the headphones, the jack shorts the signal line to allow it to continue to the amp. If the jack does not short, then no sound. Rare, but I have seen it a number of times over the years.
Old January 11th 19, 05:45 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

Tim R:

Are there buttons or switches on that Fisher amp
for selecting pairs of speakers?
Old January 13th 19, 12:09 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Friday, January 11, 2019 at 12:45:21 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Tim R:

Are there buttons or switches on that Fisher amp
for selecting pairs of speakers?

Yes.
There are two sets of speaker outputs, the A and the B.
There is a little square pushbutton, marked out for A and in for B.
With the headphone inserted, there is no sound from A whether the button is in or out. I've never put speakers on B so I've not tested that set.

Apparently you can't use two sets of speakers at the same time, or one set plus headphones. That seems curious to me. My other stereo amps don't work that way. But I'm not complaining, this little amp is perfect for what I use it for, a portable amp to get sound from a laptop I bring to various places.

Old January 13th 19, 03:08 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sunday, January 13, 2019 at 7:09:40 AM UTC-5, Tim R wrote:
On Friday, January 11, 2019 at 12:45:21 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Tim R:

Are there buttons or switches on that Fisher amp
for selecting pairs of speakers?

Yes.
There are two sets of speaker outputs, the A and the B.
There is a little square pushbutton, marked out for A and in for B.
With the headphone inserted, there is no sound from A whether the button is in or out. I've never put speakers on B so I've not tested that set.

Apparently you can't use two sets of speakers at the same time, or one set plus headphones. That seems curious to me. My other stereo amps don't work that way. But I'm not complaining, this little amp is perfect for what I use it for, a portable amp to get sound from a laptop I bring to various places.

To further complicate things, I remember working on some cheaper amps that would put the A speakers in series with the B speakers if both A and B were selected so as not to kill the outputs with too low impedance. So if you had a pair of speakers on A and nothing on B, pushing the B would kill all sound. Used to get a few nuisance calls over that.
Old January 13th 19, 08:23 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

Tim R:

Since there are speaker selectors then the speakers, in theory,
should not be canceled by plugging in headphones. On my 1990s
era JVC receiver, I have to remember to deselect all speakers
when listening via headphones, or I'll still be sharing what I'm
listening to with the wife - or the neighbors...! And speakers on
buss A, B, or both can still be driven with it while listening to
headphones, so I have to remember to select them out.

Sounds like yours has got some serious main board(motherboard to
us PC geeks) issues, or soldering issues.
Old January 14th 19, 03:00 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sunday, January 13, 2019 at 3:23:25 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Tim R:

Since there are speaker selectors then the speakers, in theory,
should not be canceled by plugging in headphones. On my 1990s
era JVC receiver, I have to remember to deselect all speakers
when listening via headphones, or I'll still be sharing what I'm
listening to with the wife - or the neighbors...! And speakers on
buss A, B, or both can still be driven with it while listening to
headphones, so I have to remember to select them out.

Sounds like yours has got some serious main board(motherboard to
us PC geeks) issues, or soldering issues.

Well, I dunno about that.
Most equipment I've had if the headphone jack was 1/8, it would disconnect speakers, and if 1/4, not.
But looking at this CA-400, I can only select A or B speakers. I can't choose none. So it makes sense that the headphone would disconnect them. Maybe it's working properly.
Old January 14th 19, 03:53 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

Tim R:

My old 1980s Sears one-piece Tuner/Phono/Cassette
had 1/4" headphone out, and it cancelled the speakers
when I plugged cans into it, just as the 1/8" on my
later bookshelf CD/Tuner/Aux.

That Fisher though sounds like one of a kind!
Old January 14th 19, 04:36 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 13 Jan 2019 19:00:48 -0800 (PST), Tim R
wrote:

[...]

It is. A very common configuration.