Electronics Repair (sci.electronics.repair) Discussion of repairing electronic equipment. Topics include requests for assistance, where to obtain servicing information and parts, techniques for diagnosis and repair, and annecdotes about success, failures and problems.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Old January 8th 19, 10:33 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jul 2012
Posts: 872
Default curious symptom old Fisher stereo amp, inputs strange

John-Del:

On a lot of receivers/amps(esp. older ones),
'Tape Out' does mean 'coming from' the
tape/cassette deck, and 'Tape In' means
what is going out of the receiver/amp to
the record deck.

From my own experience.

  #2   Report Post  
Old January 8th 19, 10:36 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Mar 2012
Posts: 201
Default curious symptom old Fisher stereo amp, inputs strange

On Tuesday, January 8, 2019 at 5:34:00 PM UTC-5, wrote:
John-Del:

On a lot of receivers/amps(esp. older ones),
'Tape Out' does mean 'coming from' the
tape/cassette deck, and 'Tape In' means
what is going out of the receiver/amp to
the record deck.

From my own experience.


You have those backwards. On the receiver, the tape in "comes from" the tape.

The tape out comes from the pre-amp section prior to the volume control.
  #3   Report Post  
Old January 8th 19, 11:07 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jul 2012
Posts: 872
Default curious symptom old Fisher stereo amp, inputs strange

5:36 wrote:
"You have those backwards. On A RECENT receiver, the tape in
"comes from" the tape.
The tape out comes from the pre-amp section prior to the
volume control. "

See my edit(caps) above.

On older gear, pre-1980, the routing of
those ins and outs as I described them
stands. How do I know? Because I
assumed the same thing you stated
above, and got no audio! Once I
flipped both RCA pairs around, Voila,
everything was fine.
  #4   Report Post  
Old January 9th 19, 12:35 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Mar 2012
Posts: 201
Default curious symptom old Fisher stereo amp, inputs strange

On Tuesday, January 8, 2019 at 6:07:32 PM UTC-5, wrote:
5:36 wrote:
"You have those backwards. On A RECENT receiver, the tape in
"comes from" the tape.
The tape out comes from the pre-amp section prior to the
volume control. "

See my edit(caps) above.

On older gear, pre-1980, the routing of
those ins and outs as I described them
stands. How do I know? Because I
assumed the same thing you stated
above, and got no audio! Once I
flipped both RCA pairs around, Voila,
everything was fine.


I won't argue your results, but with 35 years of repairing audio gear, I have not seen one yet that has that property. The in/out label on any gear is usually for that particular unit. The same exists on tape machines. There are input and output jacks there as well. The "output" jack on the tape should be activated when the tape is in play mode, thus is an output.
  #5   Report Post  
Old January 9th 19, 01:00 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jun 2017
Posts: 320
Default curious symptom old Fisher stereo amp, inputs strange

On Tuesday, January 8, 2019 at 7:36:01 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Tuesday, January 8, 2019 at 6:07:32 PM UTC-5, wrote:
5:36 wrote:
"You have those backwards. On A RECENT receiver, the tape in
"comes from" the tape.
The tape out comes from the pre-amp section prior to the
volume control. "

See my edit(caps) above.

On older gear, pre-1980, the routing of
those ins and outs as I described them
stands. How do I know? Because I
assumed the same thing you stated
above, and got no audio! Once I
flipped both RCA pairs around, Voila,
everything was fine.


I won't argue your results, but with 35 years of repairing audio gear, I have not seen one yet that has that property. The in/out label on any gear is usually for that particular unit. The same exists on tape machines. There are input and output jacks there as well. The "output" jack on the tape should be activated when the tape is in play mode, thus is an output.


Same here.

I'm old enough and have seen enough to know I'll never see or know everything, but I've never seen a tape monitor setup where the tape out is an input.. I've got 45 years as a professional audio/video tech and have worked on many stereos, and this includes many vintage vacuum tube Scotts, Fishers, Eicos etc. from the 60s through the current HT surround receivers. But I'll never say never.



  #6   Report Post  
Old January 9th 19, 01:11 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Dec 2017
Posts: 134
Default curious symptom old Fisher stereo amp, inputs strange

On Tuesday, January 8, 2019 at 4:34:00 PM UTC-6, wrote:
John-Del:

On a lot of receivers/amps(esp. older ones),
'Tape Out' does mean 'coming from' the
tape/cassette deck, and 'Tape In' means
what is going out of the receiver/amp to
the record deck.

From my own experience.


Agreed --- my vintage Sansui receiver works exactly that way.
  #7   Report Post  
Old January 9th 19, 01:46 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jun 2017
Posts: 320
Default curious symptom old Fisher stereo amp, inputs strange

On Tuesday, January 8, 2019 at 8:11:28 PM UTC-5, Terry Schwartz wrote:
On Tuesday, January 8, 2019 at 4:34:00 PM UTC-6, wrote:
John-Del:

On a lot of receivers/amps(esp. older ones),
'Tape Out' does mean 'coming from' the
tape/cassette deck, and 'Tape In' means
what is going out of the receiver/amp to
the record deck.

From my own experience.


Agreed --- my vintage Sansui receiver works exactly that way.



I have a 70s Sansewer receiver in my dungeon, I'll see how that one is configured. But I'm wondering if the tape mon connections are simply labelled "in" and "out", or if they're preceded by "connect to"...

  #8   Report Post  
Old January 9th 19, 06:59 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jan 2015
Posts: 10,095
Default curious symptom old Fisher stereo amp, inputs strange

On Tuesday, 8 January 2019 22:34:00 UTC, wrote:
John-Del:


On a lot of receivers/amps(esp. older ones),
'Tape Out' does mean 'coming from' the
tape/cassette deck, and 'Tape In' means
what is going out of the receiver/amp to
the record deck.

From my own experience.


Other way round. Confusion can come from the fact that on a lot of amps the selected input is connected directly to the tape output*, thus one can always use 'tape output' as an unswitched input. I say always... some amps won't work this way since there are buffers in the way, and they don't pass signal backwards.

*Phono inputs are of course preamplified first.


NT
  #9   Report Post  
Old January 9th 19, 08:30 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jul 2012
Posts: 872
Default curious symptom old Fisher stereo amp, inputs strange

wrote: "Other way round."

Nope. I hooked the thing up via literal interpretation, and
got no playback audio from tapes, and nothing recorded
to blanks.

Once I reversed them, like I said, everything worked as it
was expected to.

And as can be seen from Terry's testimony some posts back,
I'm not the only one experiencing gear labeled counterintuitively
to how it was supposed to be hooked up.

You weren't there in either of our cases, so you can't refute
either of our experiences.
Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Strange LCD monitor symptom. MASCOT V chip? mike Electronics Repair 2 March 14th 07 12:54 PM
FA/FS: (6) VINTAGE SANSUI-HARMON KARDON-JVC-RCA-FISHER STEREO/SURROUND SOUND/5.1-6.1 CHANNEL AMPS- EBAY- ALL REFURBISHED/TESTED- $25 EACH- 30 DAY WARRANTY NudoWhacker Electronics Repair 5 December 24th 06 02:48 AM
FA/FS: (6) VINTAGE SANSUI-HARMON KARDON-JVC-RCA-FISHER STEREO/SURROUND SOUND/5.1-6.1 CHANNEL AMPS- EBAY- ALL REFURBISHED/TESTED- $25 EACH- 30 DAY WARRANTY elkhound Electronics Repair 0 December 23rd 06 03:39 PM
How to connect JVC Stereo Cassete Deck(KD-AD2),Stereo Integrated Amplifier(A-S7),Stereo Tuner(T-V3) to RCA Television(FMR 7277ER) Thaqalain Electronics Repair 0 July 30th 05 08:33 AM
fisher stereo receiver raw38 Electronics Repair 4 November 21st 04 12:42 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:46 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2019 DIYbanter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about DIY & home improvement"

 

Copyright © 2017