Posted to sci.electronics.repair
John-Del[_2_] John-Del[_2_] is offline

Default curious symptom old Fisher stereo amp, inputs strange

On Sunday, January 13, 2019 at 7:09:40 AM UTC-5, Tim R wrote:
On Friday, January 11, 2019 at 12:45:21 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Tim R:

Are there buttons or switches on that Fisher amp
for selecting pairs of speakers?

Yes.
There are two sets of speaker outputs, the A and the B.
There is a little square pushbutton, marked out for A and in for B.
With the headphone inserted, there is no sound from A whether the button is in or out. I've never put speakers on B so I've not tested that set.

Apparently you can't use two sets of speakers at the same time, or one set plus headphones. That seems curious to me. My other stereo amps don't work that way. But I'm not complaining, this little amp is perfect for what I use it for, a portable amp to get sound from a laptop I bring to various places.

To further complicate things, I remember working on some cheaper amps that would put the A speakers in series with the B speakers if both A and B were selected so as not to kill the outputs with too low impedance. So if you had a pair of speakers on A and nothing on B, pushing the B would kill all sound. Used to get a few nuisance calls over that.