Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Anyone ever restuffed bumble bee caps?

I was watching some youtube videos for restuffing electrolytics and wax
paper caps. I see no reason to do the wax paper ones, but I may try a
electrolytic can some day. But nowhere did they show anyone restuffing
the bumble bees. I dont plan to do it, but I'd like to see if its
possible. Those were some of the most colorful caps ever made, and those
would be the ones I'd want to preserve, if I had a lot of time to waste.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tuesday, 11 December 2018 07:08:26 UTC, wrote:

I was watching some youtube videos for restuffing electrolytics and wax
paper caps. I see no reason to do the wax paper ones, but I may try a
electrolytic can some day. But nowhere did they show anyone restuffing
the bumble bees. I dont plan to do it, but I'd like to see if its
possible. Those were some of the most colorful caps ever made, and those
would be the ones I'd want to preserve, if I had a lot of time to waste.

Sounds difficult. Repainting some old round plastic film caps might be easier, perhaps adding putty to get the right shape/size.

NT
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tuesday, December 11, 2018 at 2:08:26 AM UTC-5, wrote:
I was watching some youtube videos for restuffing electrolytics and wax
paper caps. I see no reason to do the wax paper ones, but I may try a
electrolytic can some day. But nowhere did they show anyone restuffing
the bumble bees. I dont plan to do it, but I'd like to see if its
possible. Those were some of the most colorful caps ever made, and those
would be the ones I'd want to preserve, if I had a lot of time to waste.

I will usually restuff a can electro just to keep things tidy, but I never understood the need to restuff leaded caps. I restored an Fender amp for a guy who wanted the wax caps restuffed, and he paid for the time. So..

I've never restuffed a Bumblebee, but maybe locking it down and boring with a small lathe will give adequate room without destroying the case. Capping it with black epoxy and shaping with a Dremel may give the look you want.

What ever floats your boat.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tue, 11 Dec 2018 04:44:18 -0800 (PST), John-Del
wrote:

[...]

A yt video shows the easy way to restuff wax-paper types. He heats them
with a heat gun and pulls out the guts. Real easy.....
But the epoxy coated ones seem a lot more difficult.

Id like to design a tool to easily open the crimped over bottom edge on
alum can caps.