Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Reading the bands on a Bumble Bee cap

According to a chart I have, they read similar to a resistor.

On those Bumble Bee caps, the first two color bands are the value, the
3rd band is the number of zeros. The 4th band is the tolerance (%).

After a gap, there are supposed to be two more bands that tell the
voltage. Yet, looking at a few of them that I have laying around, and
pictures of the ones being sold on ebay, I have yet to find any of them
that have TWO bands for the voltage.

For example, I have a picture of one right now that has ONE yellow band.
That means "4", which I would consider to be 400v. Is this correct?
Apparently this chart is defective, or else theye stopped using a dual
band for the voltage at some time.....

Most of the time, I've just read the schematic and not bothered with the
band colors, because nearly every cap I use as a replacement is rated at
a higher voltage than the originals anyhow.