RubyTwoShewz

Default Horizontal sync problem?

Hi all, I'm way out of my depth here and hoping for some advice on a
couple of fronts.

I have a Magnavox TS2560-B101 that my brother gave me when he bought a
big screen TV. I'm not sure how old it is, but I've had it a year or
two and worked just fine until tonight. Problem is, I don't have the
manual and I can't find one online.

So my first problem: where on earth is that little plastic door you
open to fool with the settings like vertical hold and things like that?
The remote on this includes settings like brightness, but no vertical
or horizontal hold. Do these things not exist anymore?

Second: The TV just went screwy tonight, and in reading online and
doing a search of this ng, I'm pretty sure it's the horizontal sync. It
starts getting this blob that moves from left to right, and then the
whole screen is diagonal and broken up. I checked a repair faq online
and it had some pictures, and my problem seems to be the horizontal
sync. It does it immediately when I start the tv, then sometimes clears
for a bit, then back and forth. This just happened an hour or two ago,
so I can't really tell you if it only happens when the set is cold and
so on. It seems very random so far.

I actually thought it was the cable at first, because I could turn on
the VCR and it didn't do it. While I was on hold with cable to report
the problem, I had a tape in for testing, and then it happened on the
tape as well. But it doesn't seem to be as prevalent on tape as it does
live tv if that makes sense.

In reading online, I read something about turning up the brightness,
and that did seem to help (though the breakup still happened eventually
and then went back to okay).

So, as a temporary measure until I can get a repairman here, I'd like
to find the control for horizontal hold and fiddle with that to see if
I can fix it.

Then, I need to call a repairman, and I'm new in town so don't know
anybody. Should I just call someone out of the phone book? Any tips on
not getting ripped off? (I have had some very negative experiences with
repairmen who realized I know nothing about appliances or home repairs.
I *know* there are decent repair guys out there...just how to find one
and kind of bluff that I know what's going on. Otherwise I end up with
a new picture tube.)

Thanks for listening and any advice you can give. This was totally out
of the blue and unexpected.

Ruby
Jerry G.

There re no hold adjustments in many of the TV sets. They use a PLL type
circuit that does the sync lock up.

Your set has some components that are failing. It is not an adjustment. With
proper troubleshooting it can be fixed. The tech will need the service
manual, unless he is very familiar with the circuit designs. It is a matter
of taking the necessary voltage readings in the problem areas to see if the
supply is okay, and then tracing out the signals to see where the fault is.

This is not something that can be easily fixed over an email.

You can probably purchase the service manual through Sam's Photofacts, or
contact the manufacture parts distributor directly.

--

Jerry G.
=====

"RubyTwoShewz" wrote in message
news:030620040120372261%rubytwoshewzREMOVETHISPLEA ...
[...]

Sofie

RubyTwoShewz:
This should NOT be an expensive repair at most shops familiar with the
Magnavox televisions of this and similar models if you STOP using the
television and get it into a service shop right away. If you continue to
nurse this along (there is NO little door with vertical and horizontal hold
controls) eventually there will be more drastic and much more expensive
failures. Right now, as long as the television turns on, the problem may
be limited to a few high esr electrolytics in the PS and maybe some faulty
solder connections......
..... DO NOT wait until it doesn't turn on at all.
At the very least you should TAKE it to a shop for a repair cost estimate so
you can make an intelligent repair decision with facts instead of internet
or telephone wild guesses. As long as the picture has been clear and
bright in the recent past, repairing the television may be a good
decision...... this vintage of Magnavox televisions were quite good and
very reliable.
--
Best Regards,
Daniel Sofie

[...]

RubyTwoShewz

LOL, I had it on kind of watching some news in the background, and it
seemed to be doing pretty well, only going crazy every now and then,
then returning to normal in a few seconds. But I immediately turned it
off when I read your message.

Thanks much for your post...I'm going to start calling around today and
try and find someone who is familiar with this brand of television.

Ruby