Default monitor problem "double image"

I have this following problem and am wondering if anyone can help:

Graphics card: All-in-wonder radeon 7000, 64 MB
Monitor: Sony's trinitron based (not Sony), 0.25 dot pitch and 1280 x
1024 maximum resolution, non interlaced. Horizontal scanning
frequency: 30khz to 68kHz; vertical scanning frequency: 50 to 100 Hz.

1) When computer first starts, no images come up on screen, I have to
repeatedly turn on and off the monitor or wait for it to "warm up"
before I get a thin (multicolour) single vertical line in the middle
of the screen, then I have to wait and keep turning the monitor on and
off to get the a full screen image.

2) Once I have that (usually after about 5 mins), if I do get an image
on the monitor, it would be a "double" image if the resolution is set
to 1280 x 1024 (the highest resolution supported by the monitor). For
example, if there is a "A" on the screen, there will be another less
intense image of the letter "A" on the right hand side. Also, the
faulty output can produce "vibrating" images, meaning the images are
shaking left to right and vice versa. I have to go down to the next
lower resolution (1152 x 840) for a normal display on the monitor.
The shaking images can go either way: The shaky images become focused
again , so I get a normal image display; or it keeps shaking until it
remains as double images.

Anyone know if this is a monitor problem or graphics card problem. I
try using my system on another monitor. No problem there.

Right now, I can only use the monitor at 1152 x 480 or lower
resolutions.

Any help is appreciated.
Dave D

wrote in message
om...
[...]

No easy answer without diagnosing it. Obviously the monitor has a serious
fault which needs attention. If you play around with it, ie forcing it to
start up you will almost certainly cause very expensive damage, perhaps even
render it beyond economical repair. It appears to have a problem setting the
correct scan frequency, you should not use it under any circumstances or the
HOT and associated components and/or PSU will fail, no question. Not to
mention the vertical line will burn in on the screen and ruin the CRT.

Dave

load bearing double glazing TP UK diy 6 July 4th 04 12:00 PM
Intruder alarm Double Knock facility? Rafal UK diy 8 May 4th 04 01:18 AM
double dimmer IMM UK diy 4 February 12th 04 04:50 PM
Putting a double glazed pane in an old frame James W UK diy 29 February 1st 04 11:58 AM
Toshiba Television - distorted image Rob Electronics Repair 1 August 6th 03 05:27 AM