Mr. Lee

Default Symphonic WF2702 Won't power up Ticking sound

I have two sets same date june 2002 doing the same thing power up the set
and you hear a loud arching ticking sound from the flyback about 6 times and
it stops. Hit the power button again it the same thing. Please any ideas??
Diode? flyback? in the power supply? thanks

Sofie

Mr. Lee:
Yes, you are correct......
Could be a bad diode? HOT? flyback? in the power supply?
--
Best Regards,
Daniel Sofie

"Mr. Lee" wrote in message
m...
I have two sets same date june 2002 doing the same thing power up the set
and you hear a loud arching ticking sound from the flyback about 6 times

and
it stops. Hit the power button again it the same thing. Please any ideas??
Diode? flyback? in the power supply? thanks

David

You need to do some basic tv troubleshooting, making appropriate
measurements of the power supplies, start up sequence of the horizontal
output. The kind of troubleshooting taught in tv repair 101.

Since you posted basically no pertinent or useful troubleshooting
information, very little assistance can be given at all indeed. i.e.
waveform analysis, basic voltage measurements, etc.

You need to realize that these are "junk" tv sets, something like $189 brand
new. Also manufactured by some off brand.

Given the age (and eastern rim source) of the sets I would start by checked
all the electrolytic capacitors with a good esr meter.

David

"Mr. Lee" wrote in message
m...
I have two sets same date june 2002 doing the same thing power up the set
and you hear a loud arching ticking sound from the flyback about 6 times

and
it stops. Hit the power button again it the same thing. Please any ideas??
Diode? flyback? in the power supply? thanks

He gave you a Microsoft answer - technically correct, but really
doesn't help. I assume you were hoping someone would recognize the
sysmptoms as a comon fault and provide guidance.

"Sofie" wrote in message
Mr. Lee:
Yes, you are correct......
Could be a bad diode? HOT? flyback? in the power supply?
--
Best Regards,
Daniel Sofie
Electronics Supply & Repair
----------------------------

"Mr. Lee" wrote in message
m...
I have two sets same date june 2002 doing the same thing power up the

set
and you hear a loud arching ticking sound from the flyback about 6 times

and
it stops. Hit the power button again it the same thing. Please any

ideas??
Diode? flyback? in the power supply? thanks

Sofie

chris:
The general symptoms that Mr. Lee posted (with absolutely NO technical
details or even basic troubleshooting results) could be caused by a vast
multitude of faults including the exact faults he correctly listed in his
initial posting and my reply:
"Could be a bad diode? HOT? flyback? in the power supply?" .... some of
these are quite likely to be the problem.
Without a technically experienced someone getting inside the television with
some basic test equipment how in the heck could anyone be any more specific
with where exactly the defective part is? ?
Based on Mr. Lee's replies, I would say that the best advice and "guidance"
he could receive is to TAKE it to a repair shop for a proper and safe repair
or at the very least, obtain a repair cost estimate so he can make an
intelligent repair decision with facts instead of internet guesses.
--
Best Regards,
Daniel Sofie

news

"Sofie" wrote in message
Mr. Lee:
Yes, you are correct......
Could be a bad diode? HOT? flyback? in the power supply?
--
Best Regards,
Daniel Sofie
Electronics Supply & Repair
----------------------------

"Mr. Lee" wrote in message
m...
I have two sets same date june 2002 doing the same thing power up the

set
and you hear a loud arching ticking sound from the flyback about 6

times
and
it stops. Hit the power button again it the same thing. Please any

ideas??
Diode? flyback? in the power supply? thanks

Sparkchaser

I know that Mr. Lee did not supply any technical information but he did
supply enough for someone that has seen these symptoms to recognize them
immediately. I too have a June 2002 unit and it has the exact same
problem. I also have some experience in troubleshooting televisions but
why would I want to troubleshoot this particular problem when it seems
that this is a common fail and hopefully someone has came up with a fix
for it already. I cannot speak for Mr. Lee but I know for certain that is
exactly what I am hoping for. If someone does know of a fix for this
problem I would greatly appreciate any and all information that is
provided.

Master TV

"Sparkchaser" sparkie@(email protected) wrote in message alkaboutelectronicequipment.com...
I know that Mr. Lee did not supply any technical information but he did
supply enough for someone that has seen these symptoms to recognize them
immediately. I too have a June 2002 unit and it has the exact same
problem. I also have some experience in troubleshooting televisions but
why would I want to troubleshoot this particular problem when it seems
that this is a common fail and hopefully someone has came up with a fix
for it already. I cannot speak for Mr. Lee but I know for certain that is
exactly what I am hoping for. If someone does know of a fix for this
problem I would greatly appreciate any and all information that is
provided.

I would lean towards flyback....Best check would be to scope collector
of horizontal output and look for ringing in waveform rather than a
nice clean parabola. See if B+ drops than maybe disconnect collector
and see if it stays normal. Make sure there's no shorts on secondary.
Though both sets have same problem it's probably not well known cause
not alot of these sets get fixed. But, some basic understanding of
electronics and a descent scope would allow a do it yourselfer to
repair this set at a resonable cost.
Master TV

"Sparkchaser" sparkie@(email protected) wrote in message alkaboutelectronicequipment.com...
I know that Mr. Lee did not supply any technical information but he did
supply enough for someone that has seen these symptoms to recognize them
immediately. I too have a June 2002 unit and it has the exact same
problem. I also have some experience in troubleshooting televisions but
why would I want to troubleshoot this particular problem when it seems
that this is a common fail and hopefully someone has came up with a fix
for it already. I cannot speak for Mr. Lee but I know for certain that is
exactly what I am hoping for. If someone does know of a fix for this
problem I would greatly appreciate any and all information that is
provided.

Add.....set scope too 1uS and use x10 probe and set volts/div to max
and take out of calibration to be able to see entire waveform....Note:
if this is beyond your experience why not take a chance an order a
fbt...probably could get one for $20 or so...since you have two maybe
it's worth it. Nothing's for certain in electronics till you actually
put the part in but for what its worth my experience tells me there's
a very strong possibility its the fly.

Sparkchaser

Thank you very much mastertv for that very helpful information. I have a
tektronix storage scope so the info on scoping the waveform will be very
helpful. I have never attempted to ohm out a flyback before so can you
ohm it like a normal xformer or is there something else I should know
about the readings I should see? Once again your info is greatly
appreciated.

Master TV

"Sparkchaser" sparkie@(email protected) wrote in message alkaboutelectronicequipment.com...
Thank you very much mastertv for that very helpful information. I have a
tektronix storage scope so the info on scoping the waveform will be very
helpful. I have never attempted to ohm out a flyback before so can you
ohm it like a normal xformer or is there something else I should know
about the readings I should see? Once again your info is greatly
appreciated.

Your welcome.....don't bother with resistance checks of fly....just
scope collector as suggested....make sure you have no shorts on
secondary (meaning diodes off pins of fly. I'll draw a picture an
email it to you.
Master TV

"Sparkchaser" sparkie@(email protected) wrote in message alkaboutelectronicequipment.com...
Thank you very much mastertv for that very helpful information. I have a
tektronix storage scope so the info on scoping the waveform will be very
helpful. I have never attempted to ohm out a flyback before so can you
ohm it like a normal xformer or is there something else I should know
about the readings I should see? Once again your info is greatly
appreciated.

well....not much luck trying to email you a picture...sorry

Quality Of Tools cisco kid UK diy 145 June 14th 04 01:56 PM
Simple question regarding Ceiling tiles and sound? lbbs UK diy 5 March 26th 04 01:36 AM
Generator FAQ Gunner Metalworking 0 January 23rd 04 05:24 PM
Vampire Appliances Watson A.Name - Watt Sun Electronics Repair 71 October 23rd 03 12:02 PM