Deke

Default Cable ready, or not? Help?

I bought a LXI (Sears) 19" TV at an auction recently. (12 bucks, great
picture), Model 580.41008190, manufactured in 1991. It has an electronic
rotary tuner, non-remote, with on-screen channel display. According to its
date of manufacture, it SHOULD be cable ready, but for the life of me I cant
figure out how to switch it to cable mode. Is this some weird foreign model
(?), or is it just not cable ready? I'm stumped by this one. I've gone
over the entire case with a 500,000 candlepower light, no external switches
for switching to cable (old bad eyes).
Any help appreciated.

Thanks
Deke

Cyrus

You need Indoor matching transformer to make it your T.V. cable ready.
connect IM transformer wires to VHF section of your t.v. by loosing 2
screw. See picture of IM transformer at this site. Radio shack may also have
it too.
http://doityourself.com/store/6863559.htm

Regards
Cyrus
"Deke" wrote in message
news
I bought a LXI (Sears) 19" TV at an auction recently. (12 bucks, great
picture), Model 580.41008190, manufactured in 1991. It has an electronic
rotary tuner, non-remote, with on-screen channel display. According to

its
date of manufacture, it SHOULD be cable ready, but for the life of me I

cant
figure out how to switch it to cable mode. Is this some weird foreign

model
(?), or is it just not cable ready? I'm stumped by this one. I've gone
over the entire case with a 500,000 candlepower light, no external

switches
for switching to cable (old bad eyes).
Any help appreciated.

Thanks
Deke

Neil

This unit is NOT cable ready, without a external converter/channel selector.
My parents have the exact same model in the basement that they bought in 91,
and it was never cable ready. It always needed a external channel changer/
converter. This was quite common for TVs sold at this time.
Kim

"Deke" wrote in message
news
I bought a LXI (Sears) 19" TV at an auction recently. (12 bucks, great
picture), Model 580.41008190, manufactured in 1991. It has an electronic
rotary tuner, non-remote, with on-screen channel display. According to

its
date of manufacture, it SHOULD be cable ready, but for the life of me I

cant
figure out how to switch it to cable mode. Is this some weird foreign

model
(?), or is it just not cable ready? I'm stumped by this one. I've gone
over the entire case with a 500,000 candlepower light, no external

switches
for switching to cable (old bad eyes).
Any help appreciated.

Thanks
Deke

Sofie

Neal:.... you are correct............
Deke: .....you can use your favorite VCR to tune in the cable channels.....
and just leave the television on channel 3 or 4.
--
Best Regards,
Daniel Sofie

"Neil" wrote in message
m...
This unit is NOT cable ready, without a external converter/channel

selector.
My parents have the exact same model in the basement that they bought in

91,
and it was never cable ready. It always needed a external channel changer/
converter. This was quite common for TVs sold at this time.
Kim

"Deke" wrote in message
news
I bought a LXI (Sears) 19" TV at an auction recently. (12 bucks, great
picture), Model 580.41008190, manufactured in 1991. It has an

electronic
rotary tuner, non-remote, with on-screen channel display. According to

its
date of manufacture, it SHOULD be cable ready, but for the life of me I

cant
figure out how to switch it to cable mode. Is this some weird foreign

model
(?), or is it just not cable ready? I'm stumped by this one. I've gone
over the entire case with a 500,000 candlepower light, no external

switches
for switching to cable (old bad eyes).
Any help appreciated.

Thanks
Deke

Andrew Rossmann

[This followup was posted to sci.electronics.repair and a copy was sent to
the cited author.]

In article ,
says...
I bought a LXI (Sears) 19" TV at an auction recently. (12 bucks, great
picture), Model 580.41008190, manufactured in 1991. It has an electronic
rotary tuner, non-remote, with on-screen channel display. According to its
date of manufacture, it SHOULD be cable ready, but for the life of me I cant
figure out how to switch it to cable mode. Is this some weird foreign model
(?), or is it just not cable ready? I'm stumped by this one. I've gone
over the entire case with a 500,000 candlepower light, no external switches
for switching to cable (old bad eyes).
Any help appreciated.

How are the channels tuned? By rotatry tuner, do you mean a limited
number of presets, with each preset having an individual tuning slug or
similar? If so, I would just run a VCR in front of it and use it's tuner.
You can just leave the TV on channel 3 or 4.

Otherwise, it may be able to pick up some of the lower cable channels,
depending on the tuning range available.

Did you know you might be able to buy the manual? Go to www3.sears.com
(or go through sears.com, then parts near the bottom of the screen.) Type
in your model number. The manual (L46-381360-3) is listed at $2.16.

law!!
http://home.att.net/~andyross
Deke

Thanks Guys. I've worked on more than a few TVs in my life, this one had
me stumped. Thought I was losing it. I feel much better, its the damn
cheapo TV's fault. LOL...

Thanks again.

Deke

"Sofie" wrote in message
Neal:.... you are correct............
Deke: .....you can use your favorite VCR to tune in the cable

channels.....
and just leave the television on channel 3 or 4.
--
Best Regards,
Daniel Sofie
Electronics Supply & Repair
--------------------

"Neil" wrote in message
m...
This unit is NOT cable ready, without a external converter/channel

selector.
My parents have the exact same model in the basement that they bought in

91,
and it was never cable ready. It always needed a external channel

changer/
converter. This was quite common for TVs sold at this time.
Kim

news