Andrew Rossmann

Default Cable ready, or not? Help?

[This followup was posted to sci.electronics.repair and a copy was sent to
the cited author.]

In article ,
says...
I bought a LXI (Sears) 19" TV at an auction recently. (12 bucks, great
picture), Model 580.41008190, manufactured in 1991. It has an electronic
rotary tuner, non-remote, with on-screen channel display. According to its
date of manufacture, it SHOULD be cable ready, but for the life of me I cant
figure out how to switch it to cable mode. Is this some weird foreign model
(?), or is it just not cable ready? I'm stumped by this one. I've gone
over the entire case with a 500,000 candlepower light, no external switches
for switching to cable (old bad eyes).
Any help appreciated.

How are the channels tuned? By rotatry tuner, do you mean a limited
number of presets, with each preset having an individual tuning slug or
similar? If so, I would just run a VCR in front of it and use it's tuner.
You can just leave the TV on channel 3 or 4.

Otherwise, it may be able to pick up some of the lower cable channels,
depending on the tuning range available.

Did you know you might be able to buy the manual? Go to www3.sears.com
(or go through sears.com, then parts near the bottom of the screen.) Type
in your model number. The manual (L46-381360-3) is listed at $2.16.

law!!
http://home.att.net/~andyross