Bruce Wayne

Default dell p1110 monitor

Hey guys,
anyone know how to adjust the brightness from inside the chasis on this
monitor..the brightness controls on the front are set to 0 but the unit is
still a little too bright..I found the focus adjustments with the chasis
cover off..
TIA

Jerry G.

There must be some kind of defect. If the monitor is new, bring it for
warranty service. If it is an old one out of warranty, you can try to turn
down the screen bias (G2 bias) a little bit.

If you remove the rear cover, the bias control is located usually on the
back or side of the HV multiplier. It is a small control that would be on
this module. It should be marked screen. While running the monitor you can
observe the pix and back the adjustment off a bit. Next it, there may be
some focus controls. Avoid touching them, unless you want to refocus the
beam. Some mons have one control for beam focus, while others have two.

Take care to not touch anything in your monitor. It is easy to cause damage,
or be hurt. Use a plastic type, non conducting tool to do the bias
adjustment. This includes that the tool should also have a plastic or
insulated shaft. If you slip with a metal one and touch some components,
the repair will be very expensive, or you can also be hurt. Many
experienced techs do not follow this protocol, but this is taking a chance.

--

Greetings,

Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com

"Bruce Wayne" wrote in message
Hey guys,
anyone know how to adjust the brightness from inside the chasis on this
monitor..the brightness controls on the front are set to 0 but the unit is
still a little too bright..I found the focus adjustments with the chasis
cover off..
TIA

Wayne

On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 08:36:14 GMT, "Bruce Wayne"
wrote:

Hey guys,
anyone know how to adjust the brightness from inside the chasis on this
monitor..the brightness controls on the front are set to 0 but the unit is
still a little too bright..I found the focus adjustments with the chasis
cover off..
TIA

This is a known problem with the Dell P1110, and there is a hardware
fix to resolve it. Get someone else to do this if you are not
comfortable/safe working inside a monitor. Get the download from the
Sony section at this site...
http://www.geocities.com/monitorss/schematics.html

Wayne

Bruce Wayne

Damn..I am a total noob at this..I have found the focus controls but cannot
find the control marked screen. It does have 2 focus controls. If anyone
could point me to it in reference to the focus controls it would be of great
help...I don't want to get myself electrocuted..LOL

TIA

Bruce

wrote:

Hey guys,
anyone know how to adjust the brightness from inside the chasis on this
monitor..the brightness controls on the front are set to 0 but the unit

is
still a little too bright..I found the focus adjustments with the chasis
cover off..
TIA

This is a known problem with the Dell P1110, and there is a hardware
fix to resolve it. Get someone else to do this if you are not
comfortable/safe working inside a monitor. Get the download from the
Sony section at this site...
http://www.geocities.com/monitorss/schematics.html

Wayne

Steve(JazzHunter)

On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 17:51:13 GMT, "Bruce Wayne"
wrote:

Damn..I am a total noob at this..I have found the focus controls but cannot
find the control marked screen. It does have 2 focus controls. If anyone
could point me to it in reference to the focus controls it would be of great
help...I don't want to get myself electrocuted..LOL

The thing to try first is to let the monitor warmup then go to the
color menu and run "color return." (It only lets you do this after 20
minutes or so.) This is the auto white balance circuit which is
supposed to set the beam currents to a reference point. That has
restored proper brightness to a couple of Dell/Sony P1110 monitors
I've encountered.

There is no screen control. The two focus controls are horizontal and
vertical/edge horizontal. This overbrightness problem can be caused
by the resistor to the G1 pin going high. Or circuit drift may mean
that increasing the value of the G2 resistor (20 megs) will drop the
voltage enough to restore normal bias range.

. Steve ...

wrote:

Hey guys,
anyone know how to adjust the brightness from inside the chasis on this
monitor..the brightness controls on the front are set to 0 but the unit

is
still a little too bright..I found the focus adjustments with the chasis
cover off..
TIA

This is a known problem with the Dell P1110, and there is a hardware
fix to resolve it. Get someone else to do this if you are not
comfortable/safe working inside a monitor. Get the download from the
Sony section at this site...
http://www.geocities.com/monitorss/schematics.html

Wayne

Steve(JazzHunter)

On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 06:21:31 GMT, "Bruce Wayne"
wrote:

Thanks for all of your help guys....I will probably get a friend who is good
at component level stuff to take a peek....

However, try the menu item for color/color return first. This is a
user level control which may very well obviate the need for repair at
all, and it's OFTEN overlooked!

. Steve .

BRuce
.. .
wrote:

The thing to try first is to let the monitor warmup then go to the
color menu and run "color return." (It only lets you do this after 20
minutes or so.) This is the auto white balance circuit which is
supposed to set the beam currents to a reference point. That has
restored proper brightness to a couple of Dell/Sony P1110 monitors
I've encountered.

JM

Any idea if this also applies to the HP 4576A monitor? I've always thought
mine seemed to bright even with the brightness at zero. Somewhere in my
user's manual it mentions the P1110 monitor so I think they must be very
similar inside. Maybe this is the cause of my other problems, or part of
them (see newer post this). Mine doesn't seem to have a "colour return"
option in the user menus anywhere.

wrote:

Hey guys,
anyone know how to adjust the brightness from inside the chasis on this
monitor..the brightness controls on the front are set to 0 but the unit

is
still a little too bright..I found the focus adjustments with the chasis
cover off..
TIA

This is a known problem with the Dell P1110, and there is a hardware
fix to resolve it. Get someone else to do this if you are not
comfortable/safe working inside a monitor. Get the download from the
Sony section at this site...
http://www.geocities.com/monitorss/schematics.html

Wayne

Bruce Wayne

the color return option did not help..but you guys were able to assist me
with fixing the focus on my compaq qvision200 since it dose have both focus
and screen brightness adjustments inside the chasis...thaks again and happy
new year..

wrote:

The thing to try first is to let the monitor warmup then go to the
color menu and run "color return." (It only lets you do this after 20
minutes or so.) This is the auto white balance circuit which is
supposed to set the beam currents to a reference point. That has
restored proper brightness to a couple of Dell/Sony P1110 monitors
I've encountered.

Steve(JazzHunter)

On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 23:12:06 GMT, "Bruce Wayne"
wrote:

the color return option did not help..but you guys were able to assist me
with fixing the focus on my compaq qvision200 since it dose have both focus
and screen brightness adjustments inside the chasis...thaks again and happy
new year..

Well that's good ayway. It does like like a relatively
straight-forward job of changing the G2 or G1 resistor will be needed
then.

Ans Happy New Year to you too. g