Jim

Default first time post, Dell 1700fp LCD monitor, has Blue background color, won't adjust to normal

This is the first time I have posted a message so I'll apologise in
advance in case I screw up posting this.

Here is my problem. My monitor (17" Dell flat panel) has too much
blue color in it, otherwise the picture is fine. The monitor's self
test says it is OK. The monitor's color control menu works when I
adjust red and green but nothing changes when I try to adjust blue.
The ATI graphics card in my computer also has color adjust and again,
red and green change but blue does not. It is more accurate to say
the screen kind of "shimmers" when I try to change blue, but the color
does not change. Restoring factory defaults, no effect. Hooked up to
a different computer, still blue. Different cable, no change. Where
there should be a black background, such as during the self test or
screen saver there is a blue background.

Dell support, not interested, too old and I am not the origonal owner.
Local shop offered to have a go, no warrenty at all, in fairness to
the shop, I was talking to a sales person not a tech, I may go back
but I would like to have some idea what the chances of success are and
"no warrenty at all" does not inspire confidence .

I partly dissassembled it, exposed some circuit boards looking for
something obvious like a loose connection. That is about the extent
of my tech expertise. I pulled and remade the connections. No
change. I did not go all the way to the lcd panel since the
flourescent tubes work and I cannot do anything with the panel any
way. I have spent hours looking for troubleshooting hints on the net
but most of what I found pertains to CRT's. I did find this
newsgroup, maybe someone has seen this problem before.

The monitor's innards are Samsung.

If somebody can tell me what the problem is I would appreciate it. If
the fix is easy, I am up for it, but if it is beyond me at least it
would be nice to have some knowledge of the problem when I go back to
see a tech.

Thanks for reading this wordy post and for any help you can offer.

Jim
David

The problem if not in the very front end where the blue goes into the
monitor, is probably well beyond anything you will be equipped to take on.
LCD monitors have a signal process-digital process board with custom VVLSI
surface mount ic's and is a multi-layer pcb. You only hope is if you can
identify the very front analog end where the blue goes in an signal trace
and find a problem. Given the symptoms is really sound like a problem in
the signal process, not typically repairable except by a fully equipped
factory repair station. Then usually repaired by board replacement as well.

FYI the reason you have not found much in the way of troubleshooting on lcd
panels is they are not generally repairable, beyond the factory or highly
specialized service stations, except for the standard failures that a good
competant tech can repair without a manual. i.e. power supply failures,
high esr capacitors, etc.

David

Jim wrote in message
[...]

Ian Molton

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 01:34:05 GMT
Jim wrote:

Here is my problem. My monitor (17" Dell flat panel) has too much
blue color in it, otherwise the picture is fine. The monitor's self
test says it is OK. The monitor's color control menu works when I
adjust red and green but nothing changes when I try to adjust blue.
The ATI graphics card in my computer also has color adjust and again,
red and green change but blue does not. It is more accurate to say
the screen kind of "shimmers" when I try to change blue, but the color
does not change.

I assume you checked the fault isnt in your graphics adapter?

--
Spyros lair: http://www.mnementh.co.uk/ |||| Maintainer: arm26 linux

Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are tasty and good with ketchup.
Jim

Thanks for the reply David,

Sorry about the slow response, I am having a bit of trouble posting.

I had an idea that either high reliabilty or difficulty of repair
explained why I had not seen too much information on the net. If the
problem is not in the panel itself but in one of the circuit boards
that I can access then home replacement is an option, if the board is
not worth more then the monitor. I just need to know which board is
the problem. Seems odd that it passes its "self test". I also
noticed that one of the chips on the biggest board appears removeable.
I assume this is for programming. Any realistic chance this has gone
sour somehow? Also there was a harness connecting the big circuit
board to the panel that I only checked one end of due to the
requirement of further dissassembly to get at the panel end. Is this
cable attachment point at the panel end worth checking? Is it a
problem to dissassemble further?

Jim

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 20:45:02 -0500, "David"
wrote:

[...]

Jim wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Jim

Hi Ian,

Thankyou for posting.

The problem exists when the monitor is not attached to my computer
(blue background on screen in test) and also when it was attached to a
different computer, (blue background with white letters during start
up , that PC had no operating system). When my CRT monitor is
attached to this computer, no problem. I am pretty sure the problem
is in the LCD monitor.

Jim

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 09:46:49 +0000, Ian Molton wrote:

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 01:34:05 GMT
Jim wrote:

Here is my problem. My monitor (17" Dell flat panel) has too much
blue color in it, otherwise the picture is fine. The monitor's self
test says it is OK. The monitor's color control menu works when I
adjust red and green but nothing changes when I try to adjust blue.
The ATI graphics card in my computer also has color adjust and again,
red and green change but blue does not. It is more accurate to say
the screen kind of "shimmers" when I try to change blue, but the color
does not change.

I assume you checked the fault isnt in your graphics adapter?

Ian Molton

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 20:09:57 GMT
Jim wrote:

I am pretty sure the problem
is in the LCD monitor.

sounds like it...

does the LCDs OSD suffer the same problem ?

--
Spyros lair: http://www.mnementh.co.uk/ |||| Maintainer: arm26 linux

Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are tasty and good with ketchup.
Jim

Hi Ian,

Slow responding, Christmas rush at work, sorry about that. The LCD's
OnScreen Displays ( I hope that is what you are refering to) the menu
screens and messages are not the right colors. The Red Green Blue of
the test message, when there is no signal to the monitor, for example
is too blue.

Jim

Wed, 17 Dec 2003 22:27:05 +0000, Ian Molton wrote:

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 20:09:57 GMT
Jim wrote:

I am pretty sure the problem
is in the LCD monitor.

sounds like it...

does the LCDs OSD suffer the same problem ?

Ian Molton

On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 06:26:55 GMT
Jim wrote:

Slow responding, Christmas rush at work, sorry about that. The LCD's
OnScreen Displays ( I hope that is what you are refering to) the menu
screens and messages are not the right colors. The Red Green Blue of
the test message, when there is no signal to the monitor, for example
is too blue.

I very muich suspect you are out of luck then.