Kai Robinson

Default Dell D1028LR Monitor Problems

Hey there! I did exactly as you said - and lo and behold - CLEAR PICTURE!!!
from a monitor from a Skip!! The quality is amazing - and it was such a
small adjustment - theres loads of range left in it as well - although i'll
order a spare flyback just in case - where did you get yours from? Cheers!!

Kai

in article , u1061771156 at
wrote on 7/6/03 8:34 pm:

In article , Kai Robinson wrote:
Hello there

Just got this monitor from a scrapheap, for free. Nice monitor, although,
when its cold - everything is green, literally, awash with green, for about
5 minutes, and then the colour settles down. This i dont mind so much. What
i do mind though, is that no matter what resolution i use, the picture is
slightly out of focus - pictures are fine - but text can be a little furry,
and difficult to read....

I'm a dab hand with a soldering iron, having been subjected to GCSE
electronics, and i'm not afraid to open CRT casings - have dealt with iMacs
before and i know the discharge procedure

Thanks for any information you can provide, and Schematics would also be a
great help. Cheers!

Kai

I'm writing this at a Dell D1028LR that I've repaired twice so far...
for both of your faults!

The green is probably a bad soldered joint on the PCB that mounts on the
base of the tube. This is particularly likely if slapping the side of
the monitor make it better (or worse). You need to remove that PCB from
the tube base (2 plastic straps to undo first) then unsolder the screening
metalwork to get at the PCB itself to fix the soldering. You can trace the
circuit from the "G" pin on the crt socket and redo any joint that looks
even slightly suspicious.

The bad focus is, I think, a sign of trouble. If you search Google on
the model number you will find a long history of flyback transformer
failures that cause focus to drift, eventually far enough that the
controls can't fix it and even to where it arcs over inside the
crt socket (spark gap). You may get a bit more life out of yours by
adjusting the focus controls (top 2 controls on flyback transformer
for H and V focus.) Once the control gets to the end of the scale and
you still can't fix it, you need a new transformer. They were available
when I last replaced one for someone else, a year or so ago. For my own
one I partially dismantled the flyback and re-epoxied it, and so far
so good (about 18 month of daily use since), but this is not recommended
except for the excessively determined...!

Use a well insulated screwdriver to adjust the focus controls.

I only have a partial manually-traced schematic which covers the area
around the flyback transformer.

Best Regards,
Mike.