Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Logitech M-BD58 rogue mouse.

Recently, my Logitech mouse went tits-up and took the entire motherboard USB
subsystem with it!

The MOBO is still useable, but sometimes there's weird "artifacts" on the
video. A USB expansion card has solved the interface deficiency.

My question is; are Logitech mouse notorious for this failure mode?

I went through a lot of USB optical wheel mouse that I didn't like, then I
got the Logitech which was OK - till this happened.

Thanks for any help.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tue, 19 Apr 2016 19:22:43 +0100, "Ian Field"
wrote:

Recently, my Logitech mouse went tits-up and took the entire motherboard USB
subsystem with it!

The MOBO is still useable, but sometimes there's weird "artifacts" on the
video. A USB expansion card has solved the interface deficiency.

My question is; are Logitech mouse notorious for this failure mode?

I went through a lot of USB optical wheel mouse that I didn't like, then I
got the Logitech which was OK - till this happened.

Thanks for any help.

Maybe a short developed in the mouse cable. If the motherboard
doesn't have a polyfuse on the USB +5V line (many cheap ones don't),
a short could burn out the trace and take out the USB subsystem.

Did you have the mouse cable routed in a way that could lead to
it getting abraded, pinched, or repeatedly bent sharply?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

Recently, my Logitech mouse went tits-up and took the entire motherboard
USB
subsystem with it!

The MOBO is still useable, but sometimes there's weird "artifacts" on the
video. A USB expansion card has solved the interface deficiency.

My question is; are Logitech mouse notorious for this failure mode?

I went through a lot of USB optical wheel mouse that I didn't like, then I
got the Logitech which was OK - till this happened.

Thanks for any help.

Maybe a short developed in the mouse cable. If the motherboard
doesn't have a polyfuse on the USB +5V line (many cheap ones don't),
a short could burn out the trace and take out the USB subsystem.

Did you have the mouse cable routed in a way that could lead to
it getting abraded, pinched, or repeatedly bent sharply?

Inspection shows the cable in good condition, but I've been too busy to
remove it and test it electrically.

The board is an MSI with an Intel 945 of some description (there seems to be
endless variants).

Somewhere I have an MSI; MS7204 (AKA 945P). But it has a huge CPU cooler
that overhangs the edge of the board and won't fit a case with any drive
bays.

The 945 (something or other) has a regular cooler - the one on the 945P has
lots of fins with copper pipes running through them. No idea whether they're
interchangable, but I'm not optimistic.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

Recently, my Logitech mouse went tits-up and took the entire motherboard USB
subsystem with it!

Any particular Logitech model number mouse?

The MOBO is still useable, but sometimes there's weird "artifacts" on the
video. A USB expansion card has solved the interface deficiency.

My question is; are Logitech mouse notorious for this failure mode?

I went through a lot of USB optical wheel mouse that I didn't like, then I
got the Logitech which was OK - till this happened.

No. Between me and my customers, I deal with hundreds of mice. The
overwhelming majority of which are Logitech. Among the USB flavor,
I've never blown a USB port with a mouse. In order to do that, one
needs to apply external power to the port, and shove it down the +5v
line. There's no way to do that by shorting any of the 4 wires in the
USB plug and all the Logitech mice with internal battery power are
wireless.

My guess(tm) is that you might be using a defective USB hub. Something
like this abomination, that connects the external power supply to the
+5v line.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uh6iKilgtG0

When I get back to work next week, I'm going to build a simple LED
tester for this problem, and test my rather large junk pile of USB
hubs for this problem.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

Recently, my Logitech mouse went tits-up and took the entire motherboard USB
subsystem with it!

Any particular Logitech model number mouse?

Oops. I didn't see the model number in the Subject line. Sorry(tm):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161911359106
I have seen hundreds of those over the years. They may have
mechanical switch failures, deteriorating rubber on the mouse wheel,
having the too small sticky dots (feet) fall off, or in extreme cases,
having the plastic ring around the dots wear off. No electronic
failures that I can recall, and certainly no dead USB ports on an
associated computahs. As I previously mumbled, look for a USB hub
problem or a problem with something plugged into the USB port that has
an external power supply.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tuesday, April 19, 2016 at 2:22:19 PM UTC-4, Ian Field wrote:
Recently, my Logitech mouse went tits-up and took the entire motherboard USB
subsystem with it!

The MOBO is still useable, but sometimes there's weird "artifacts" on the
video. A USB expansion card has solved the interface deficiency.

My question is; are Logitech mouse notorious for this failure mode?

I went through a lot of USB optical wheel mouse that I didn't like, then I
got the Logitech which was OK - till this happened.

Thanks for any help.

push hole in bottom rear mouse restores to pre-Logictech
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

Recently, my Logitech mouse went tits-up and took the entire motherboard
USB
subsystem with it!

Any particular Logitech model number mouse?

Yes - its in the subject line.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message
On Tuesday, April 19, 2016 at 2:22:19 PM UTC-4, Ian Field wrote:
Recently, my Logitech mouse went tits-up and took the entire motherboard
USB
subsystem with it!

The MOBO is still useable, but sometimes there's weird "artifacts" on the
video. A USB expansion card has solved the interface deficiency.

My question is; are Logitech mouse notorious for this failure mode?

I went through a lot of USB optical wheel mouse that I didn't like, then
got the Logitech which was OK - till this happened.

Thanks for any help.

push hole in bottom rear mouse restores to pre-Logictech

Apparently I may have jumped to conclusions.

The BIOS setup seems to have a ready supply of nasty surprises. For one
thing it forgets which drive to boot from at the slightest provocation - I
already tried a replacement battery, then another in case I got a dud.

Something else flipped at random so it wouldn't boot, so I hit F6 for
restore optimum defaults and then made sure the boot priority was right - it
booted, and the USB subsystem was back. Now I know I restored defaults
previously and it didn't get the USB back then.

This also wipes out the excuse for occasional video artifacts. This board is
probably in its death-throes.

The board is an MSI 945GZM and has a normal looking CPU cooler - a spare MSI
board I have is a 945P, but it has a huge cooler that overhangs the board
and won't fit a case with drive bays. Any idea what are the chances of the
Intel 945GZM cooler being OK on the 945P?

mouse food or mouse poison! Fergus McMenemie[_2_] UK diy 24 November 3rd 09 07:05 PM
Only good mouse is a dead mouse, yes, but how to get there? trader-of-some-jacks Home Repair 41 January 5th 09 02:43 AM
Rogue Traders raden UK diy 51 September 22nd 05 10:05 PM
Rogue Traders... r.p.mcmurphy UK diy 75 September 18th 05 11:21 PM
Country Mouse - City Mouse: A Reply To Scott Cramer. Tom Watson Woodworking 16 July 31st 03 04:59 PM