Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Logitech M-BD58 rogue mouse.

On Tue, 19 Apr 2016 19:22:43 +0100, "Ian Field"
wrote:

Recently, my Logitech mouse went tits-up and took the entire motherboard USB
subsystem with it!

Any particular Logitech model number mouse?

The MOBO is still useable, but sometimes there's weird "artifacts" on the
video. A USB expansion card has solved the interface deficiency.

My question is; are Logitech mouse notorious for this failure mode?

I went through a lot of USB optical wheel mouse that I didn't like, then I
got the Logitech which was OK - till this happened.

No. Between me and my customers, I deal with hundreds of mice. The
overwhelming majority of which are Logitech. Among the USB flavor,
I've never blown a USB port with a mouse. In order to do that, one
needs to apply external power to the port, and shove it down the +5v
line. There's no way to do that by shorting any of the 4 wires in the
USB plug and all the Logitech mice with internal battery power are
wireless.

My guess(tm) is that you might be using a defective USB hub. Something
like this abomination, that connects the external power supply to the
+5v line.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uh6iKilgtG0

When I get back to work next week, I'm going to build a simple LED
tester for this problem, and test my rather large junk pile of USB
hubs for this problem.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D