Old January 2nd 16, 05:43 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Baffled by cordless tool problem

On 1/1/2016 12:17 PM, gyro_john wrote:
Might this be a battery issue? ...
You might be able to check by swapping in a different battery pack.

I have tried different batteries - it is not a battery problem. Thanks
anyhow.

Old January 2nd 16, 05:44 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 12/29/2015 3:19 PM, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
On 12/29/2015 7:46 AM, John-Del wrote:

If you can't find the receipt, reflow the board (including the chip).

Thanks. I'll definitely try that if I can't get it fixed under warranty.

Bob

Long story short: warranty does not apply & I'm going to try to reflow
the board.

On cleaning the board I found some stuff that looked like the rubbery
caulk/adhesive that is used to stabilize components. On removing it I
found a TH device that has me puzzled. I'm worried that it might not
handle the reflow heat.

The pictures show it next to a brass (?!) heatsink that the power FETs
sit on and a close-up of it. The rubbery stuff covered it and bonded(?)
it to the heatsink. Thermal stuff?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nf2odbubz0...Board.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/axu84cbjlp...evice.jpg?dl=0

What is it? Do I need to remove it for reflow?

Thanks,
Bob
Old January 3rd 16, 03:23 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 1/2/2016 12:44 PM, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/nf2odbubz0...Board.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/axu84cbjlp...evice.jpg?dl=0

What is it? Do I need to remove it for reflow?

I think that it's a thermistor. It _looks_ exactly like this one:
http://www.dxmht.com/products/thermal-resistor.htm

Since it's soldered in, it should be OK for reflow.

Bob
Old January 3rd 16, 05:40 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Saturday, January 2, 2016 at 10:24:05 PM UTC-5, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
On 1/2/2016 12:44 PM, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/nf2odbubz0...Board.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/axu84cbjlp...evice.jpg?dl=0

What is it? Do I need to remove it for reflow?

I think that it's a thermistor. It _looks_ exactly like this one:
http://www.dxmht.com/products/thermal-resistor.htm

Since it's soldered in, it should be OK for reflow.

Bob

Huh.. learn something new every day. Never saw a thermal resistor in that package, but it sure looks like the one in the link.

It seems the board has a conformal coating on it. When resoldering a board like this, it's much easier to accomplish with the coating off.