Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Baffled by cordless tool problem

On 12/29/2015 3:19 PM, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
On 12/29/2015 7:46 AM, John-Del wrote:

If you can't find the receipt, reflow the board (including the chip).

Thanks. I'll definitely try that if I can't get it fixed under warranty.

Bob

Long story short: warranty does not apply & I'm going to try to reflow
the board.

On cleaning the board I found some stuff that looked like the rubbery
caulk/adhesive that is used to stabilize components. On removing it I
found a TH device that has me puzzled. I'm worried that it might not
handle the reflow heat.

The pictures show it next to a brass (?!) heatsink that the power FETs
sit on and a close-up of it. The rubbery stuff covered it and bonded(?)
it to the heatsink. Thermal stuff?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nf2odbubz0...Board.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/axu84cbjlp...evice.jpg?dl=0

What is it? Do I need to remove it for reflow?

Thanks,
Bob