Old May 17th 10, 03:27 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT - frustrated and baffled over garage door springs

My overhead garage doors use extension springs. I thought I might
convert to torsion springs and looked on the web for a kit. All I could
find was the springs themselves, and various other parts. No complete
installation package. And I did a LOT of searching - probably 2 hours'
worth.

This is strange - my conclusion is that the installation package comes
with the door (tracks, hinges, rollers, springs, etc) and that's it.
What about if you wanted to build your own door? You'd think that you
could get a kit SOMEWHERE.

It looks like I would have to buy all the parts separately - hoping that
I got ones that went with each other. And, of course, paying a
premium over what a package/kit would cost.

Frustrated and baffled,
Bob

Old May 17th 10, 04:14 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob Engelhardt wrote:
My overhead garage doors use extension springs. I thought I might
convert to torsion springs and looked on the web for a kit. All I could
find was the springs themselves, and various other parts. No complete
installation package. And I did a LOT of searching - probably 2 hours'
worth.

This is strange - my conclusion is that the installation package comes
with the door (tracks, hinges, rollers, springs, etc) and that's it.
What about if you wanted to build your own door? You'd think that you
could get a kit SOMEWHERE.

It looks like I would have to buy all the parts separately - hoping that
I got ones that went with each other. And, of course, paying a premium
over what a package/kit would cost.

Frustrated and baffled,
Bob

Talk to an installer. Most of them can get you the conversion parts easy
enough. We converted three doors at out station a while ago.

--
Steve W.
(\___/)
Old May 17th 10, 04:26 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message
My overhead garage doors use extension springs. I thought I might convert
to torsion springs and looked on the web for a kit. All I could find was
the springs themselves, and various other parts. No complete installation
package. And I did a LOT of searching - probably 2 hours' worth.

This is strange - my conclusion is that the installation package comes
with the door (tracks, hinges, rollers, springs, etc) and that's it. What
about if you wanted to build your own door? You'd think that you could
get a kit SOMEWHERE.

It looks like I would have to buy all the parts separately - hoping that I
got ones that went with each other. And, of course, paying a premium over
what a package/kit would cost.

Frustrated and baffled,
Bob

Join the garage-door-spring baffled. Beware torsion springs. They are
killers to install unless you're an expert.

Do a bunch of Web searching before installing.

--
Ed Huntress

Old May 17th 10, 04:30 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On May 16, 8:27*pm, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
My overhead garage doors use extension springs. *I thought I might
convert to torsion springs and looked on the web for a kit. *All I could
find was the springs themselves, and various other parts. *No complete
installation package. *And I did a LOT of searching - probably 2 hours'
worth.

This is strange - my conclusion is that the installation package comes
with the door (tracks, hinges, rollers, springs, etc) and that's it.
What about if you wanted to build your own door? *You'd think that you
could get a kit SOMEWHERE.

It looks like I would have to buy all the parts separately - hoping that
* I got ones that went with each other. *And, of course, paying a
premium over what a package/kit would cost.

Frustrated and baffled,
Bob

If you haven't seen it, Richard Kinch has an excellent article on his
adventures with garage door torsion springs: http://www.truetex.com/garage.htm
Old May 17th 10, 04:41 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On May 16, 7:27*pm, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
My overhead garage doors use extension springs. *I thought I might
convert to torsion springs and looked on the web for a kit. *All I could
find was the springs themselves, and various other parts. *No complete
installation package. *And I did a LOT of searching - probably 2 hours'
worth.

This is strange - my conclusion is that the installation package comes
with the door (tracks, hinges, rollers, springs, etc) and that's it.
What about if you wanted to build your own door? *You'd think that you
could get a kit SOMEWHERE.

It looks like I would have to buy all the parts separately - hoping that
* I got ones that went with each other. *And, of course, paying a
premium over what a package/kit would cost.

Frustrated and baffled,
Bob

You could go back in time and use what my granddaddy did, wire cable,
pulleys and boxes of sand and busted concrete. Lasted longer than he
did, which is more than you can say for a lot of the spring
counterbalances these days. Pure profit centers for the door
installers, they KNOW they'll be back. Not sure torsion springs would
be an improvement anyway. When they go SPROING, there's a whole lot
more energy involved.

Stan

Old May 17th 10, 07:42 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 16 May 2010 21:27:07 -0400, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

My overhead garage doors use extension springs. I thought I might
convert to torsion springs and looked on the web for a kit. All I could
find was the springs themselves, and various other parts. No complete
installation package. And I did a LOT of searching - probably 2 hours'
worth.

This is strange - my conclusion is that the installation package comes
with the door (tracks, hinges, rollers, springs, etc) and that's it.
What about if you wanted to build your own door? You'd think that you
could get a kit SOMEWHERE.

It looks like I would have to buy all the parts separately - hoping that
I got ones that went with each other. And, of course, paying a
premium over what a package/kit would cost.

Frustrated and baffled,
Bob

Why do you want to convert from extension springs to torsion springs?
Old May 17th 10, 09:13 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message
My overhead garage doors use extension springs. I thought I might
convert to torsion springs and looked on the web for a kit. All I could
find was the springs themselves, and various other parts. No complete
installation package. And I did a LOT of searching - probably 2 hours'
worth.

This is strange - my conclusion is that the installation package comes
with the door (tracks, hinges, rollers, springs, etc) and that's it.
What about if you wanted to build your own door? You'd think that you
could get a kit SOMEWHERE.

It looks like I would have to buy all the parts separately - hoping that
I got ones that went with each other. And, of course, paying a
premium over what a package/kit would cost.

Frustrated and baffled,
Bob

I suspect that you don't see kits for this as typically one piece garage
doors use the extension springs and the sectional doors use the torsion
springs.

What kind of garage door do you have?

--
Roger Shoaf

Old May 17th 10, 01:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On May 16, 10:41*pm, wrote:
[...]

Did he work out a way to lessen the force as the door went up?

Dave
Old May 17th 10, 02:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 17 May 2010 00:13:24 -0700, "Roger Shoaf"
wrote the following:

[...]

Oh, duh! I'd forgotten that the one-pieces were the only kind to use
extension springs. They had no tracks, which are required for
sectionals and torsions. His conversion will be highly unlikely.

It's time for a new door if you want torsion springs, Bob.

--
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our
inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter

Old May 17th 10, 03:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Frayed knot, I've seen sectional doors that use extension springs. A safety
for those springs is to install a slightly loose section of chain or cable
thru them (secured at both ends), so they can't fly if they let go.

--
WB

wrote the following:

[...]

garage door torsion springs Jake[_3_] Home Repair 8 December 7th 08 05:17 PM
Two kinds of garage door springs JoeSpareBedroom Home Repair 26 March 23rd 08 06:16 PM
Garage Door Springs jeff37 Home Repair 5 September 10th 07 06:28 PM
Garage Door Springs Daryl Home Repair 16 February 15th 06 08:15 PM
Garage door torsion springs. Rich Home Repair 24 October 11th 04 12:40 PM