Posted to sci.electronics.repair
John-Del John-Del is offline

Default Baffled by cordless tool problem

On Saturday, January 2, 2016 at 10:24:05 PM UTC-5, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
On 1/2/2016 12:44 PM, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/nf2odbubz0...Board.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/axu84cbjlp...evice.jpg?dl=0

What is it? Do I need to remove it for reflow?

I think that it's a thermistor. It _looks_ exactly like this one:
http://www.dxmht.com/products/thermal-resistor.htm

Since it's soldered in, it should be OK for reflow.

Bob

Huh.. learn something new every day. Never saw a thermal resistor in that package, but it sure looks like the one in the link.

It seems the board has a conformal coating on it. When resoldering a board like this, it's much easier to accomplish with the coating off.