john

Default RCA Projection TV ?

We need Model Number and Chassis number
as RCA has made hundreds of different Models.

kip

--
"Watch the return E-Mail addy its false"
"Marsha" wrote in message
Our RCA Big Screen Projection TV messed up right when the warranty ended!
The picture looks curved now, you can still watch it. At first the good
screen would try to come in & the curved screen would try to come in, &

one
morning while watching we heard a lot of noise & now it is just the curved
screen. Anyone know what went out & about how much to fix?
Thanks,
Marsha

RJ

Default RCA Projection TV ? Model# Chassis#

Thank-you Marsha, I will look and see what I kind find.

BobC

I suspect that at least one of the convergence amp is bad. This is a
fairly common failure; often from poor solder connections of bad
capacitors as the original cause.

This is probably a task for a good repair shop. The convergence
generally has to be realigned (adjusted) after one or more amps are
replaced. A general cost would be about $250 - $350. If it is done
correctly, there is quite a bit of labor involved. I generally spend
about a hour or so doing adjustments and checking things after the
problem(s) is corrected, Some shops are hasty and attempt to get it in
& out ???; in which case you can expect "colored borders" around objects
at various locations on the screen.

Marsha wrote:
Our RCA Big Screen Projection TV messed up right when the warranty ended!
The picture looks curved now, you can still watch it. At first the good
screen would try to come in & the curved screen would try to come in, & one
morning while watching we heard a lot of noise & now it is just the curved
screen. Anyone know what went out & about how much to fix?
Thanks,
Marsha

BobC

I should have addressed a possible pincushion problem. You did not
mention were the curves were. If the picture is hour-glass shaped
(sides are bowed in) but the colors seemed ok; then you are talking
about a pincushion problem. In which case the cost of repair is
probably less.

If one or more of the colors are apparently misaligned with each other
then the problem is in the convergence amps or their power supply. In
this case, the bowing could be either or both in the horizontal or
vertical. The key is that the colors would be obviously messed up.

Marsha wrote:

Our RCA Big Screen Projection TV messed up right when the warranty ended!
The picture looks curved now, you can still watch it. At first the good
screen would try to come in & the curved screen would try to come in, & one
morning while watching we heard a lot of noise & now it is just the curved
screen. Anyone know what went out & about how much to fix?
Thanks,
Marsha

Marsha

When this first started happening, we would turn on the TV & it would turn
on in the correct picture, then pop out to the curved picture, then pop back
into the correct picture & pop in & out for a bit, then have a good
picture. We thought maybe it was a sensor problem. The curved picture is
on the whole screen. The color & picture are good, just some scenes have a
curved look if the scene has a door frame in it or something else in the
background that is supposed to be straight. Where the time is you can only
see the first number, the rest is cut off. Still don't won't to pay to have
it repaired. We can buy a new TV for $300.00. It won't be a large screen,
but with our recent experience with this RCA, we do not care to ever
purchase another big screen tv. Thanks to everyone for trying to help.
Marsha
news

Marsha wrote:

Our RCA Big Screen Projection TV messed up right when the warranty

ended!
The picture looks curved now, you can still watch it. At first the good
screen would try to come in & the curved screen would try to come in, &

one
morning while watching we heard a lot of noise & now it is just the

curved
screen. Anyone know what went out & about how much to fix?
Thanks,
Marsha

RJ

You are right...in 1984 almost all sets were built well. But they are just
like VCR's...a $49.95 VCR will not last very long and there are very few
shops that will work on the "low-end" crap. I have a VCR made in 1986...it
is VHS/SVHS has HiFI heads and still works very well. Its initial cost was
$634.00. After ALL these years I WIN-----Wal Mart loses. I have NEVER under
stood this fact: Home electronics is the ONLY consumer product (including
Homes and Automobiles) that the price has gone down over the last 20 years.
Guess why? The QUALITY is gone in most cases. These broke, in debt, overpaid
yuppie wantabes that make up MOST of the consumer market can't afford
QUALITY in MOST cases.

Marsha

Well, we bought the RCA knowing they had a bad rep. We had to see for
ourselves, now we know, never again will we buy another Big Screen TV,
regardless of price.
"RJ" wrote in message
.. .
You are right...in 1984 almost all sets were built well. But they are just
like VCR's...a $49.95 VCR will not last very long and there are very few
shops that will work on the "low-end" crap. I have a VCR made in 1986...it
is VHS/SVHS has HiFI heads and still works very well. Its initial cost was
$634.00. After ALL these years I WIN-----Wal Mart loses. I have NEVER

under
stood this fact: Home electronics is the ONLY consumer product (including
Homes and Automobiles) that the price has gone down over the last 20

years.
Guess why? The QUALITY is gone in most cases. These broke, in debt,

overpaid
yuppie wantabes that make up MOST of the consumer market can't afford
QUALITY in MOST cases.

Leonard Caillouet

There was a lot of crap in 1984. I'd have a lot of newer sets over most of
the stuff made then.

Leonard Caillouet

"RJ" wrote in message
.. .
You are right...in 1984 almost all sets were built well. But they are just
like VCR's...a $49.95 VCR will not last very long and there are very few
shops that will work on the "low-end" crap. I have a VCR made in 1986...it
is VHS/SVHS has HiFI heads and still works very well. Its initial cost was
$634.00. After ALL these years I WIN-----Wal Mart loses. I have NEVER

under
stood this fact: Home electronics is the ONLY consumer product (including
Homes and Automobiles) that the price has gone down over the last 20

years.
Guess why? The QUALITY is gone in most cases. These broke, in debt,

overpaid
yuppie wantabes that make up MOST of the consumer market can't afford
QUALITY in MOST cases.

Tom MacIntyre

On Mon, 8 Sep 2003 19:05:06 -0400, "john"
wrote:

We need Model Number and Chassis number
as RCA has made hundreds of different Models.

kip

If the warranty just ended it makes it easier...what are they into
now, PTK 2??.

Tom