Michael Brewer

Default Non-huge parliament or projection hinge: exists?

Does anyone know a source of parliament or projection hinges that are
not designed to support a stable door (or two)? I didn't think that
my intended use was really that rare for there to be any difficulty in
locating a suitable hinge, which makes me question: (i) either my
intended use; (ii) or whether I should go into business making and
selling non-huge parliament hinges.

I have a pair of internal doors I wish to hang such that they open 180
degress and back flush to the wall. There is an architrave around the
door frame, a fairly insubstantial one, standing proud of the
wall/door frame by only around 2cm.

So by my reckoning I need a projection hinge or parliament hinge where
the hinge pin sits away from the wall/frame by around 1cm (or maybe a
little over), so that when the doors are fully open the door is proud
of the wall by around 2cm (or a little over), thus clearing the
architrave.

I've looked in many hardware stores, on screwfix, I've even visited
Isaac Lord, with no luck. The smallest I could find was one that
gives a throw of around 8cm, which is completely over the top.

Am I looking in the wrong place? Is it really that uncommon to want
your doors to open flush against the wall to minimise the space that
they take up in the room when open? I reckon the doors will probably
be open 90% of the time so it's important that they are out of the
way.

Would it be recommended to use a normal butt hinge as a projection
hinge, obviously choosing one where the holes are positioned suitably
to allow the hinge to be set slightly away from its usual position
without the screws being too close to the edge of the door / frame? I
guess the archtirave could be changed to a more basic, slimmer,
version to help. I've also thought about using rising butt or
lift-off hinges (even though I don't need the doors to rise or lift
off) because the knuckle is more hefty and hence would give a larger
separation when open.

Can anyone help me out?

Thanks!

Mike
Jerry Built

Michael Brewer wrote:
I need a projection hinge or parliament hinge where
the hinge pin sits away from the wall/frame by around
1cm (or maybe a little over), so that when the doors
are fully open the door is proud of the wall by around
2cm (or a little over), thus clearing the architrave.

Various amall sizes are sold by BMs. A good hardware shop will
have them too, but good hardware shops are few and far between.

Would it be recommended to use a normal butt hinge as a
projection hinge, obviously choosing one where the holes
are positioned suitably to allow the hinge to be set slightly
away from its usual position
without the screws being too close to the edge of the door /
frame?

No reason why not, but you might have to re-drill the holes.

J.B.