Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Sony Bravia TV help

Hi Guys,
I've had this Bravia for 2 or 3 years, just know seeing how much is
available.

Anyway,
I want to have cable and OTA available. I don't see an easy way to do
it. If I put in an RF switch from cable to OTA, then I still need to
reprogram the tuner for digital channels. I think?
That's to involved just to see the local weather Radar.
I now I can buy an external tuner, is there another option?
Mikek
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thursday, March 26, 2015 at 9:55:29 AM UTC-7, amdx wrote:
Hi Guys,
I've had this Bravia for 2 or 3 years, just know seeing how much is
available.

Anyway,
I want to have cable and OTA available. I don't see an easy way to do
it. If I put in an RF switch from cable to OTA, then I still need to
reprogram the tuner for digital channels. I think?
That's to involved just to see the local weather Radar.
I now I can buy an external tuner, is there another option?
Mikek

There's got to be a better interface than RF to get from your cable box to the TV. Then you can use RF input for OTA and set channels as needed.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 3/26/2015 6:18 PM, wrote:
On Thursday, March 26, 2015 at 4:00:41 PM UTC-7, amdx wrote:
On 3/26/2015 2:55 PM,
wrote:
On Thursday, March 26, 2015 at 9:55:29 AM UTC-7, amdx wrote:
Hi Guys,
I've had this Bravia for 2 or 3 years, just know seeing how much is
available.

Anyway,
I want to have cable and OTA available. I don't see an easy way to do
it. If I put in an RF switch from cable to OTA, then I still need to
reprogram the tuner for digital channels. I think?
That's to involved just to see the local weather Radar.
I now I can buy an external tuner, is there another option?
Mikek

There's got to be a better interface than RF to get from your cable box to the TV. Then you can use RF input for OTA and set channels as needed.

I don't need or use a cable box.
I keep hearing rumors that the cable company is going to go that route,
but that's been over two years since I first heard it.

Mikek

Now you contradict yourself after first saying you want cable or OTA.

Plug the antenna into RF input for OTA then deal with whatever it is that is now not cable later.

One of us is confused.
In my OP I said, "I want to have cable and OTA available."
Emphasis on the "and".
I have cable from a company named WOW. (Wide Open West)
So, I connect the Cable to the TV and I have 2 through 70. and then 25
more digital channels between 98.1 and 117.13.
Recently my daughter moved into an apartment and wanted an antenna.
I built a couple and tried them out using my TV, I found some local, OTA
channels I would like, especially a weather radar signal that is not on
my cable.
So I would like to use both signals, and as I tried to describe,
if I have the tuner set for cable and programed, it won't receive
OTA signals, and if I set it for antenna and programed it won't receive
cable.
I suspect I'll need to buy a OTA tuner.
Mikek

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

One of us is confused.
In my OP I said, "I want to have cable and OTA available."
Emphasis on the "and".
I have cable from a company named WOW. (Wide Open West)
So, I connect the Cable to the TV and I have 2 through 70. and then 25
more digital channels between 98.1 and 117.13.
Recently my daughter moved into an apartment and wanted an antenna.
I built a couple and tried them out using my TV, I found some local, OTA
channels I would like, especially a weather radar signal that is not on
my cable.
So I would like to use both signals, and as I tried to describe,
if I have the tuner set for cable and programed, it won't receive
OTA signals, and if I set it for antenna and programed it won't receive
cable.
I suspect I'll need to buy a OTA tuner.
Mikek

Not necessarilly an OTA tuner. A simple cable box is essentially a
2nd tuner for the cable channels. You could rent one from your cable
company or buy one from Amazon. That might be cheaper than buying an
OTA tuner.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:
[...]

Most people use HDMI to connect from the cable box to the TV. Maybe you have a '70s cable box.

This frees-up the RF input for its intended purpose, Antenna, along with its own available channel selections.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:
[...]

Let me state it clearly.
I don't have a cable box!
I don't have a cable box!
I don't have a cable box!
Now maybe you get it.
But just in case, The cable comes out of the wall and goes directly into
the Sony Bravia TV. The only thing between the cable coming from the
street and the TV is a 4 way splitter. There is nothing else.
There is No Cable Box in my home, there has not been a cable box in my
home for the 21 years that I have lived there. The fact is I'm 60 years
old and have had cable since at least 1981, I have never had a cable
box. I once bought a houst that came with a 10ft satellite dish, it did
have box, but I got cable and I did NOT have a cable box.
Are you convinced, or are you going to insist that I have a cable box?
Mikek
PS.
I don't have a ****ing cable box!

---

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Friday, March 27, 2015 at 11:01:18 AM UTC-4, amdx wrote:

PS.
I don't have a ****ing cable box!

Just to be clear, you *don't* have a cable box, correct?

I think your problem will be solved shortly because cable system operators are removing the clear qam cable channels and forcing subscribers into paying monthly for a box, or doing without. In my area, there is only one cable system still using clear qam.

Some TVs have offer two RF inputs; one for cable and one for OTA, or at least they used to. To trim a couple of pennies from production, I think they've all be removed.

So for now, get an OTA box and hook it up to AV1, and your cable to RF and scan for whatever channels your operator gives you. By late summer, your cable provider will remove these channels "to improve your viewing options" (that's what Comcast told us) and you'll have just OTA either through your new box or the TV's tuner. If you want to continue receiving cable on that TV, you'll have to rent a box.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

What you want is not straightforward. OTA and cable frequencies overlap (you should check that), so you cannot mix them into a single tuner.

Solutions?
Buy a TV with two tuner inputs, or
If you want a single or few channels from OTA, there are amplifiers that can inject a single channel into broadband cable. Televes has some model with this capability, with an adjustable bandpass filter. You have to check that the channel you want to inject does not overlap any signal from cable.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 3/27/2015 11:18 AM, John-Del wrote:
On Friday, March 27, 2015 at 11:01:18 AM UTC-4, amdx wrote:

PS.
I don't have a ****ing cable box!

Just to be clear, you *don't* have a cable box, correct?

Sometimes I don't state things clear, looks like I did well this time.

I think your problem will be solved shortly because cable system operators are removing the

clear qam cable channels and forcing subscribers into paying monthly for
a box, or doing without.

I think I mentioned that, as a two year old rumor I've been hearing
about my cable co.

In my area, there is only one cable system still using clear qam.

We may be lucky we have two companies to choose from in my area.
But, they are cable companies :-)

Some TVs have offer two RF inputs; one for cable and one for OTA, or at least they used to.

Yes, I looked for that, no luck.

To trim a couple of pennies from production, I think they've all be removed.
So for now, get an OTA box and hook it up to AV1, and your cable to RF and scan for whatever
channels your operator gives you. By late summer, your cable provider will remove these channels
"to improve your viewing options" (that's what Comcast told us) and you'll have just OTA either
through your new box or the TV's tuner. If you want to continue receiving cable on that TV, you'll have to rent a box.

I watched a video this morning, it said the FCC mandated that the
customer has to be allowed an alternative, a cable card, the decripts
the signal. And of course now we are in another transition, and you want
an M card.
I found the video, it's 2-1/2 years old, but discusses something
the cable company doesn't want you to know.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YvnxDOo4ro

Mikek

If that all comes true, we won't buy TV's any more, just a monitor with
HDMI input.

---

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 3/27/2015 11:22 AM, Jeroni Paul wrote:
What you want is not straightforward. OTA and cable frequencies overlap (you should check that), so you cannot mix them into a single tuner.

Solutions?
Buy a TV with two tuner inputs, or
If you want a single or few channels from OTA, there are amplifiers that can inject a single channel into broadband cable. Televes has some model with this capability, with an adjustable bandpass filter. You have to check that the channel you want to inject does not overlap any signal from cable.

I suspect the answer is a box (uh oh) like this;
http://tinyurl.com/on9bvz2
Running an HDMI cable to the tv then just switch to HDMI on the TV
and I'm looking at OTA TV.
I don't need one this expensive though.
Mikek

---