Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Sony Bravia Question

I have had a Sony KDL-46EX711 tv for about a year.
When turned on, you first get a a Sony logo sound
and Sony on the screen and then it might be 6 seconds
before you can control any functions with the remote.
It acts like a computer booting up.
Recently, it stopped giving the Sony logos and comes on
showing what channel was last watched immediately and
you can change channel or volume immediately.

Why does it work the way I want it to NOW, after a year?

Mikek
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

En el artículo , amdx
escribió:

Why does it work the way I want it to NOW, after a year?

Maybe it quietly downloaded a firmware update?

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 03 Nov 2013 08:29:17 -0600, amdx wrote:

I have had a Sony KDL-46EX711 tv for about a year.
When turned on, you first get a a Sony logo sound
and Sony on the screen and then it might be 6 seconds
before you can control any functions with the remote.
It acts like a computer booting up.
Recently, it stopped giving the Sony logos and comes on
showing what channel was last watched immediately and
you can change channel or volume immediately.

Why does it work the way I want it to NOW, after a year?

Mikek

There was a firmware update on 8/27/2013:
http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model-home.pl?mdl=KDL46EX711&template_id=1&region_id=1&t ab=download#/downloadTab
http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/swu-download.pl?mdl=KDL46EX711&upd_id=8948&os_group_id =18
--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 11/3/2013 9:02 AM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Sun, 03 Nov 2013 08:29:17 -0600, amdx wrote:

I have had a Sony KDL-46EX711 tv for about a year.
When turned on, you first get a a Sony logo sound
and Sony on the screen and then it might be 6 seconds
before you can control any functions with the remote.
It acts like a computer booting up.
Recently, it stopped giving the Sony logos and comes on
showing what channel was last watched immediately and
you can change channel or volume immediately.

Why does it work the way I want it to NOW, after a year?

Mikek

There was a firmware update on 8/27/2013:
http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model-home.pl?mdl=KDL46EX711&template_id=1&region_id=1&t ab=download#/downloadTab
http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/swu-download.pl?mdl=KDL46EX711&upd_id=8948&os_group_id =18

I don't see the particular changes in the description, but if it was
an automatic update, the timing might be right.
Whatever the cause, it is a good change.
Mikek

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 11/3/2013 11:29 AM, amdx wrote:
[...]

I went a little further and found, it has the latest Firmware.
Version PKG4.117AAL.
So I think it did an automatic update. It has a wifi adapter attached.
I'm going to start wearing my pants while watching tv, just in case! :-)
More software controls on this that I don't have a clue about.
Mikek

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 03 Nov 2013 11:43:10 -0600, amdx wrote:

I went a little further and found, it has the latest Firmware.
Version PKG4.117AAL.
So I think it did an automatic update. It has a wifi adapter attached.
I'm going to start wearing my pants while watching tv, just in case! :-)
More software controls on this that I don't have a clue about.
Mikek

There is nothing wrong with your television set. Do not attempt to
adjust anything. We are controlling transmission. If we wish to make
it louder, we will blow your eardrums. If we wish to make it softer,
we might decrease the compression, but it's unlikely. We will control
the horizontal. We will control the vertical. We can screw with the
image and trash it with decompression artifacts. We can change the
resolution from a disgusting blur, or sharpen it to the crystal
clarity of 1080p. For the next few hours, cease complaining, fasten
your seat belt, and we will control all that you see and hear. We
repeat: there is nothing wrong with your television set. You are
about to participate in a great adventure. You are about to
experience the awe and mystery which reaches from the inner mind to
the bottom of your bank account.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Jeff Liebermann" wrote in message

There is nothing wrong with your television set. Do not attempt to
adjust anything. We are controlling transmission.

I always wanted to hear the Control Voice say...

"There is nothing wrong with your television. But if we keep screwing with it,
pretty soon there will be."

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

amdx wrote:

I went a little further and found, it has the latest Firmware.
Version PKG4.117AAL.
So I think it did an automatic update. It has a wifi adapter attached.
I'm going to start wearing my pants while watching tv, just in case! :-)
More software controls on this that I don't have a clue about.

I was going to ask how a TV can get a firmware update, but you have
answered it. Geez, that's bit scary. What if there was a power
failure or somebody shut down your network while it was downloading?
Bricked TV? Hmmm, if it can download an AUTHORIZED update, it could
download an UNauthorized one, too! Big brother, or a whole new kind
of cyber vandalism? How about turning EVERY home into a Nielson
home? When will all this stuff end?

Jon
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Jon Elson formulerede spørgsmålet:
amdx wrote:

I went a little further and found, it has the latest Firmware.
Version PKG4.117AAL.
So I think it did an automatic update. It has a wifi adapter attached.
I'm going to start wearing my pants while watching tv, just in case! :-)
More software controls on this that I don't have a clue about.

I was going to ask how a TV can get a firmware update, but you have
answered it. Geez, that's bit scary.

On the DVB-T2 network here the settop-boxes receives updates over the
air, on each mux a channel is dedicated to this and the program guide.

Leif

--
Husk kørelys bagpå, hvis din bilfabrikant har taget den idiotiske
beslutning at undlade det.