Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Help with floundering son

Hi all,
The Sig Gen for guitar amps started me thinking.

My son is floundering, after two years at a university he has decided
that's not what he wants. I guess I could say I knew that
from the start, mom didn't. I would have liked to see him finish
and then flounder with job prospects, but he didn't.
He keeps saying he has an interest in music, he plays guitar, talks
about mixing but has no equipment except a computer.
I've got about $25,000 into his education so far and don't mind
spending some more to get him on a track.
What are some job categories in music, music recording, studio
recording. I don't know! What should he be learning?
I know this is very open ended, because he doesn't know what he wants.
Just venting and looking for ideas, he will do what he wants when he
finds it, but I figure my job is to put things in his path until he
trips on something.
As I told him when he went to college, explore everything on campus
until you find what tweaks you! I think he played video games instead.

Any Ideas?

Thanks, Dad
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"amdx" wrote in message
[...]

Armed forces including the CG.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

amdx wrote:

The Sig Gen for guitar amps started me thinking.

** Wot an unintended consequence .....

My son is floundering, after two years at a university he has decided
that's not what he wants. I guess I could say I knew that
from the start, mom didn't. I would have liked to see him finish
and then flounder with job prospects, but he didn't.
He keeps saying he has an interest in music, he plays guitar, talks
about mixing but has no equipment except a computer.
I've got about $25,000 into his education so far and don't mind
spending some more to get him on a track.
What are some job categories in music, music recording, studio
recording. I don't know! What should he be learning?

** There are private colleges in most big cities the offer courses in audio engineering, audio production and related subjects. If your boy gets a certificate from one AND also has diploma in education - he could get a cushy job working for one of these institutions.

I know this is very open ended, because he doesn't know what he wants.
Just venting and looking for ideas, he will do what he wants when he
finds it, but I figure my job is to put things in his path until he
trips on something.
As I told him when he went to college, explore everything on campus
until you find what tweaks you! I think he played video games instead.

Any Ideas?

** Well, you could buy him a wet suit, snorkel and spear gun.

Then he could make his living out of "floundering" ....

.... Phil
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wednesday, December 31, 2014 6:17:23 PM UTC-7, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Wed, 31 Dec 2014 18:15:15 -0600, amdx wrote:

I had a similar problem with a former ladyfriend's son. He was
studying to be an architect, but preferred to play guitar with his
friends. At one point, he announced that he was dropping out of
college to become a professional musician. His mother panicked and
volunteered me to talk to him on the assumption that my sledge hammer
style of diplomacy and tactless pragmatism might have some effect.

I expected a long dragged out battle, but instead found the right
pitch line on the first try. It told him that I knew plenty of
architects that play guitar on the side, but no guitarists that dabble
in architectural design on the side.

What would you have told him if his major had been art history?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 31 Dec 2014 18:17:18 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

...snip....

I expected a long dragged out battle, but instead found the right
pitch line on the first try. It told him that I knew plenty of
architects that play guitar on the side, but no guitarists that dabble
in architectural design on the side. I didn't even have to threaten
him with being grounded, disinherited and thrown out of the house. He
eventually finished college, apprenticed with the strangest
architectural firm in the area, got married (twice), and is now
gainfully employed. He occasionally plays the guitar.

So,...he never countered with the story about Jay Leno? Jay and his
friends were doing clubs to hone their art of comedy. His friends ALL kept
their day jobs, but Jay quit his. With NO way back, he becme a bit
successful, where as all his friends, having a 'lifeline' never went very
far in comedy. [as related by Jay Leno]

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 01 Jan 2015 07:49:58 -0700, RobertMacy
wrote:

On Wed, 31 Dec 2014 18:17:18 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

...snip....

I expected a long dragged out battle, but instead found the right
pitch line on the first try. It told him that I knew plenty of
architects that play guitar on the side, but no guitarists that dabble
in architectural design on the side. I didn't even have to threaten
him with being grounded, disinherited and thrown out of the house. He
eventually finished college, apprenticed with the strangest
architectural firm in the area, got married (twice), and is now
gainfully employed. He occasionally plays the guitar.

So,...he never countered with the story about Jay Leno? Jay and his
friends were doing clubs to hone their art of comedy. His friends ALL kept
their day jobs, but Jay quit his. With NO way back, he becme a bit
successful, where as all his friends, having a 'lifeline' never went very
far in comedy. [as related by Jay Leno]

At some point, one has to decide between their day job and their
passion. The difference between Jay Leno, my architect, and I is that
Jay Leno is very good at comedy, while my architect friend and I were
quite mediocre at music. If he's good, encourage him. If he's lousy,
divert him to something else.

I hadn't heard the story about Jay Leno, but I can see a few problems.
The inspiration to bail out of a day job and go full time into
entertainment or music is usually inspired by a mentor, agent, talent
scout, or club owner. Like everything else, it's not what you know or
can do, but rather whom you know, good timing, attitude, and good
timing. The common term is "lucky break". A career commitment can
probably happen in a vacuum, but I doubt this one did. It's like
cats. Cats pick their own owners. Careers pick their own players.

Also, there's always a "way back" if comedy had failed. When you're
young, the job opportunities are much better than as we get older. Jay
could have gone back to pumping gasoline or whatever with little
effort.

Incidentally, I suspect that the difference between Jay Leno and the
rest of his crowd is that he's good at both delivery and writing his
monologs. He was forced to go back to writing his own stuff by the
writers strike in 2008, and did quite well.
http://nymag.com/arts/tv/features/43266/

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 01 Jan 2015 11:27:20 -0800, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

Locally, we have something even better than art history called "History
of Conciousness".

That's good; I thought the rest of the world had enough difficulty
defining "Conciousness"!

Is "better" used ironically?

Mike.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 12/31/2014 4:15 PM, amdx wrote:
[...]

Certainly depends on the college and the major...but...
I expect college to teach you how to THINK.
(military teaches you how to follow orders)
I don't like history/art type majors because they teach you what
someone else did. Not totally useless, but critical thinking is
more useful.

I learned more useful/practical stuff the first week on the job
from an excellent mentor than I did in five years of engineering school.
But if I hadn't had the background, I wouldn't have been able to
comprehend my mentor.

Smoking pot and playing video games is not "going to college."
Maybe a tiered approach.
Let the military teach him how to follow orders, then
order him to go to college.
You can always do whatever you want after a basic education.

You may have started too late.
My dad had a basic college education, a blue-collar job
and a TV repair business on the side.
He bought me a Heathkit short wave radio kit somewhere around age 8.
He steered me toward ham radio.
He paid me 50-cents to check all the tubes in a TV.
I had to keep accounts of my work and payments.
One day, he just took me aside and taught me long division.
He got me a job after school at a friend's TV shop.
I never thought about it at the time, but he may have been
paying my salary under the table.
There was never any question whether I'd be an engineer.
Wasn't my choice.
Nobody told me to do it.
It just happened...thanks to my dad.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 1/1/2015 4:52 AM, Phil Allison wrote:
amdx wrote:

[...]

Cute little play on words.

I'm surrounded by people earning money fishing, a few are doing very,
some making a living, and most don't own a car and live with someone
else when the boat isn't out. Some of those could have a little if they
didn't drink and use drugs when they hit land. (not saying they don't
take them with them fishing)
He has not shown interest in fishing, and that's ok. 40 year old
fishermen look like they're 55.
Mikek

---

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 1/2/2015 5:49 AM, mike wrote:
[...]

Maybe, I always had a bench setup with voltmeter, scope, sig gen,
power supplies, and parts. Showed him ohms law, and verified it.
He was ahead of me in math, so it was a breeze, when I needed help
I ask him. We once made an electric motor. As a project I suggested
we build an electric go kart. We did, but dad did most of the work, but
I did run through motor, axle ratio, tire circumference, speed calcs,
and he understood. he and the neighbor kids had fun.
I will say from the start both kids new they were going to college, my
daughter graduated H.S. 4th out of a 430 class. Somewhere around 10th or
11th grade, I figured out my son was probably smarter than my daughter,
he just didn't do anymore work than he had to. His grades got him into a
good university but he didn't work at it. Now I think it's just video
games and laziness that have brought him to a halt.
Mikek

---

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thursday, January 1, 2015 7:47:43 AM UTC-7, Robert Macy wrote:
On Wed, 31 Dec 2014 18:17:18 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

...snip....

I expected a long dragged out battle, but instead found the right
pitch line on the first try. It told him that I knew plenty of
architects that play guitar on the side, but no guitarists that dabble
in architectural design on the side. I didn't even have to threaten
him with being grounded, disinherited and thrown out of the house. He
eventually finished college, apprenticed with the strangest
architectural firm in the area, got married (twice), and is now
gainfully employed. He occasionally plays the guitar.

So,...he never countered with the story about Jay Leno? Jay and his
friends were doing clubs to hone their art of comedy. His friends ALL kept
their day jobs, but Jay quit his. With NO way back, he becme a bit
successful, where as all his friends, having a 'lifeline' never went very
far in comedy. [as related by Jay Leno]

Are you saying Jay Leno should have kept his day job, and maybe the
late night TV tragedy he ran for two decades would have never happened?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Tom Miller" wrote in message ...

"amdx" wrote in message
[...]

Find a (large as possible) PA hire company that wants some free or poorly
paid labour. This will be a lot of fun. (loading trucks, going to gigs,
roadying hard and enjoying it)

If he is really interested, he will closely watch and talk to the engineers,
learn a huge amount he never knew existed, and eventually be trusted to take
on live sound work and be properly paid for it.

Gareth.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

[...]

I hired my son when he couldn't find a job after graduating with a BA in
Economics. He doesn't live at home so he pays rent, has a steady
girlfriend, does everything one expects when living on their own, and he
is learning a trade. I don't expect him to continue in my field for too
much longer, but in the meantime we can talk and he has a breather while
he figures out his priorities. Plus he gets training in repairing
equipment, practical computer applications (online store), dealing with
customers, etc.

Not every parent has that luxury - being able to hire/train one's
offspring - so it is not a panacea, but it is at least helping him.

John :-#)#

www.flippers.com
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 05 Jan 2015 22:16:37 -0800, John Robertson wrote:

Larry Niven (right wing SF author) kinda had it right where his
cleverest aliens - the Puppeteers' - leader was called "The Hindmost" as
they lead for the rear, in other words they followed the crowd.

John :-#)#

And, long before him, Gilbert & Sullivan's Duke of Plaza Toro had the same
battle plan...

Mike.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

*
[...]

I'm surprised you care! Most people could care less about family
(yet, expect the perfect kid)
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 2015-01-01 00:15:15 +0000, amdx said:

Hi all,
[...]

Stop supporting him, let him get a job, and figure it out on his own.
Pressuring him into college in the first place was probably a huge
mistake.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 2015-01-01 00:15:15 +0000, amdx said:

Hi all,
[...]

But then years later, he'd be mad at him for not pushing the idea of college. Because on average, people who've continued education after high school earn more.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wednesday, January 7, 2015 8:32:12 PM UTC-5, F. George McDuffee wrote:
On Wed, 7 Jan 2015 13:22:51 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

What are some job categories in music, music recording, studio=A0
recording. I don't know! What should he be learning?=A0
know this is very open ended, because he doesn't know what he wants.=

=A0
Just venting and looking for ideas, he will do what he wants when he find=
it, but I figure my job is to put things in his path until he trips on=A0
something.=A0

======================

Your son is fortunate he has a concerned and involved
father.

This is a common problem in today's society/main stream
culture because most of our young people are now kept
separated from, and in many cases are not even allowed to
observe work (because of perceived legal liability).

I fear that you could even carry that thought a little further with all of the divorce and custody battles. They can't even spend time with both parents, let alone visit the places where they work.

If possible he should contact the university placement
office for extensive interest/talent testing and advise.
for example
http://tinyurl.com/p8oeyvv
http://tinyurl.com/nat2hz3
http://tinyurl.com/d5xgql5

Yeah, that and keep up with what his professors are into. Tell them his interests as they change and what opportunities are out there.

The music/entertainment field as a whole, while glamorous
and exciting on the surface (because this is what sells)
appears to be an extremely demanding field, requiring
extensive amounts of paid and unpaid work and long hours in
all areas, not just the performers.

Additionally, because of the glamor which attracts large
numbers of wannabes, the compensation for all but the very
top performers, and to a limited extent their "possse", is
low and large amounts of talent/inate ability and
practice-practice-practice is required.

If at all possible, try to get him internships in some of
the areas in which he may be interested such as record
production [mixer] or night club DJ, but as noted these are
galm jobs and are hard to get, even with no pay.

If he is not already playing in a garage band, and composing
music, he is advised to forget about the guitar as he will
be competing with people who have played since they could
hold a guitar.

A google search on {music relate employment} returned 169kk
hits. Many of these such as business manager, intellectual
property manager, event manager, etc. require a business
degree and experience A few of the sites include
http://tinyurl.com/q2wqo5j
http://tinyurl.com/nrxdka9
http://tinyurl.com/k2cuwt9
http://tinyurl.com/mk28e6u

Being in the right place at the right time, saying all the right things.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 2015-01-01 00:15:15 +0000, amdx said:

Hi all,
[...]

That really depends on what kind of degree you get, doesn't it?
I'd expect that a degree in "something or other studies" to be mostly
worthless.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thursday, January 8, 2015 at 7:37:33 PM UTC-5, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:
Ignoramus30544 fired this volley in
:

My guess is that it is due to substance abuse.

Might be, but I had almost $60K into a medical degree for my son when he
just bailed out.

In his case, it was "personality abuse"; his constant "wantsturbation"
was his downfall.

"Dad, I just don't like all the rules and restrictions. I want to be
free to do what I want to do, not what some stupid professor tells me I
have to do."

Yeah, a lot of people hear stuff like that on hate radio. The AM dial on radio spends all day telling you that college campuses are brainwashing people to become liberals, shed the values they grew up with, etc... So the people are scared that they'll lose their freedoms, so they take up guns, hate the government, etc...

To which I replied, "Try 'doing what you want to do' with no education,
no work experience, and no money."

It didn't sway him. He's a DOT weigh-station inspector now, making a
barely-subsistance hourly wage, when he could have been (a damned good)
surgeon -- he has the artistic and manual skills to have done it well.

You can't lead their lives for them.

In other words, some people can't learn from lecture. They only learn from experience.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thursday, January 8, 2015 at 7:37:33 PM UTC-5, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:
Ignoramus30544 fired this volley in
:

My guess is that it is due to substance abuse.

Might be, but I had almost $60K into a medical degree for my son when he
just bailed out.

In his case, it was "personality abuse"; his constant "wantsturbation"
was his downfall.

"Dad, I just don't like all the rules and restrictions. I want to be
free to do what I want to do, not what some stupid professor tells me I
have to do."

To which I replied, "Try 'doing what you want to do' with no education,
no work experience, and no money."

It didn't sway him. He's a DOT weigh-station inspector now, making
a barely-subsistance hourly wage ...

That's a government job. That's OK! He could let his chain of command know that he can go to night school and get a masters. Then he make weekly calls to the local bond broker bigwigs and state lawmakers on what state or federal government bond projects near his job site he could chip into (because you need a bond broker in order to buy any government bonds). If he tries to make his bond purchase choices the same as the main government big shots and business leaders in the town he lives in, he can go very far in government.

(he might even get a country club spot if he has good golf skills and good enough connections)
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sunday, January 11, 2015 at 5:56:29 AM UTC-5, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:
Larry Jaques fired this volley in
:

So show him some tough love. Cut him loose: He either learns and
makes it, or he doesn't, but it's up to him. G'luck!

Loose? He's 38, and on his own for 14 years.

The money's sunk -- He couldn't pay it back if I held a gun to his head.

This isn't a 'continuing problem' for me, it's just an unfortunate truth,
and an irk that won't 'de-irk', because of all the folks his age whom I
see in the same situation.

Sometimes I wonder if he'd have been more intent on finishing his degree
if he'd had to work for the tuition... no telling, now.

Yeah, but kids usually do what their parents did. So I guess he's copying you to a degree, right? I mean your generation had going-out-doors, joking with your friends, reading newspapers and books. All that helped in college.

His generation had Television, MTV and video games. That background makes college and competition tougher.

(so maybe he couldn't have just copied you)