Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Cleaning a power amp

Hi,

ever since someone had the brain wave of putting "computer" fans inside power amps - service techs have had to deal with dust and fluff clogged heat sinks and filthy PCBs.

When such amps are installed in a music venue for years, cigarette smoke, artificial fog oil and moisture add to the mix making the result truly appalling.

In most cases thorough vacuuming and cleaning inside and outside surfaces with a damp cloth is sufficient. I know of techs using compressed air, but that seems terribly messy to me.

However, some example are so badly fouled the only way I have found to clean them properly is to submerge the PCB and heatsink assemblies in hot water and detergent and scrub them just like dinner plates and saucepans. In order to thoroughly dry the PCBs, I have used an oven set to low temp, hot air from a room heater or gun and simply the sun on a warm day.

This is obviously a very time consuming process requiring a lot of disassembly and reassembly, cleaning the fans themselves is one of the most tedious parts.

Recently I had to clean a couple of Crown XS700s that were completely fouled with black fluff that proved to be electrically conductive !!

Turns out they had been in the same rack with another amplifier that went up in smoke, filling them with carbonised fibreglass soot. This took more than the usual amount of time and care since a 2kW SMPS is built on the same PCB.

Anyone know an easier way or have useful comments?

..... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 2/10/2014 8:34 AM, Phil Allison wrote:

[...]

I suppose it depends on what sort of materials are on the pcb's etc but
I would be trying some suitable solvent like acetone or white spirit.
More costly but probably less time involved. It would need some capital
expenditure for a cleaning bay too.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Rheilly Phoull wrote:

I suppose it depends on what sort of materials are on the pcb's etc but

I would be trying some suitable solvent like acetone or white spirit.

More costly but probably less time involved. It would need some capital

expenditure for a cleaning bay too.

** Acetone and white spirit attack many plastics - plus the fumes are harmful.

PCBs that have solder flux all over them need to be washed in solvent ( ie denatured alcohol) after being washed in hot water .

FYI: I have often imagined a bath full of Freon agitated by ultrasonics as the perfect answer.

..... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

[...]

I wouldn't ever use acetone for that purpose... it's too hard on too
many plastics.

Bob Pease used to swear by the practice of putting PC boards into his
dishwasher, with "a full load of Calgonite" detergent (it's not full
of chlorine-based disinfectants), running them through the normal wash
and rinse cycle, and then drying. He swore that this was capable of
getting PC-board leakage down to levels below those that an expensive
"professional" solvent-based PC-board cleaning would deliver.

A manual rinse with deionized water before drying probably wouldn't be
a bad idea, if your local water is at all "hard".

I've heard of people using this approach on complete pieces of
equipment (after doing enough of a partial strip-down to remove
anything made of paper or cardboard) with some success. Depending on
how vigorously your dishwasher "sprays", it may be as effective at
removing build-up crud as a manual scrub would be.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 2/10/2014 10:34 AM, Phil Allison wrote:

[...]

[DISCLAIMER] None of what follows will be remotely helpful.

**Ah, that brings back memories. I used to keep a 5 Litre container of
Freon TF™, along with several spray cans (they even supplied a nifty
clip-on brush thingy). Brilliant stuff. No residue, did not hurt
plastics, non-flammamble, disolved the nastiest greases and oils, not
harmful to humans and possessed a low vapourisation temperature.

The perfect cleaner. Bummer about the ozone layer. The stuff was banned
decades ago.

--
Trevor Wilson www.rageaudio.com.au

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

David Platt wrote:

[...]

** That is an interesting idea.

Likely Bill Pease used PCBs that were not smothered in fluff and disgusting contaminants like I mentioned - let alone conductive carbon soot.

Also, many amplifier PCBs have speaker and mains AC relays that are not water sealed plus water traps like DIL ICs in sockets and small plug and socket connectors.

The Crown amps were a major pain as any soot impregnated fluff left behind after washing and drying was likely to cause mayhem.

..... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 02/10/2014 03:24, David Platt wrote:
[...]

Only military grade ICs are specced to hermetic sealed packages. For all
else, water is likely to migrate to the die with some probability
greater than zero, only needs going along one pin of one IC. Once water
is in there , how to expel, without leaving any trace? Is dry heating
all to 100 deg C, going to do that?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Nutcase Kook :

Only military grade ICs are specced to hermetic sealed packages.

** Horse manure.

For all

else, water is likely to migrate to the die with some probability

greater than zero, only needs going along one pin of one IC.

** Shame how nearly all PCBs are washed ( ie defluxed) in hot water these days.

Wot a bull****ting fool you are.

..... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wednesday, October 1, 2014 8:34:03 PM UTC-4, Phil Allison wrote:

However, some example are so badly fouled the only way I have found to clean them properly is to submerge the PCB and heatsink assemblies in hot water and detergent and scrub them just like dinner plates and saucepans. In order to thoroughly dry the PCBs, I have used an oven set to low temp, hot air from a room heater or gun and simply the sun on a warm day.

Back in the late 70s when TVs had large,hot running modules and it seemed like everyone smoked, I used to wash these boards before rebuilding them.

What I would do is remove any component that could trap water, such as flybacks, smps xfrs, large inductors, tuning coils, tuner, etc. then wash the board in the sink with hot water and a cleaning solution my brother (research chemist) used to make for me by the gallon. It was also great stuff to clean white walled tires with (some kind of detergent and stoddard solvent mixture).

I would let them drip dry, then put them in a large cardboard box with a hole in one end the diameter of a hair dryer, and let the board dry for an hour or so. I'd clean by hand the parts I had previously removed and reinstall them in the board then repair or rebuild the board as needed. The modules were squeaky clean and shiny. There was NEVER an issue with submerging the boards in water, and I did not rinse them with anything more than tap water.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

There are foaming cleaners with citrus-based solvents (such as Curtisol --
which appears to be discontinued) that were used by antique radio collectors.
After sealing up components that could be damaged by water, the circuitry was
doused with the cleaner and allowed to sit for a while. It was then hosed off
and allowed to dry in a warm place.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 01 Oct 2014 18:52:06 -0700, Phil Allison
wrote:

...snip....

** Acetone and white spirit attack many plastics - plus the fumes are
harmful.
PCBs that have solder flux all over them need to be washed in solvent (
ie denatured alcohol) after being washed in hot water .

FYI: I have often imagined a bath full of Freon agitated by ultrasonics
as the perfect answer.

.... Phil

Years ago, we washed loaded PCB's in de-ionized water, then to accelerate
the drying process dissolved a bit of that water off the board with
alcohol. Later we found that inundateing the electrolytics with alcohol
did something to them that sounded a 'deathknell' for them over time. In
otherwords, the boards died a premature death, albeit a clean death.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I've had worse. In the RPTV days, some of them would get coolant leaks. The coolant is a mixture of 70 % ethylene glocol and 30 % glycerine. It starts out as nonconductive but when there is a voltage appled it become conductive and corrosive. It also soaks into the board itself.

I used to temperature cycle them a few times to "squeeze" the crap out of the board. Don'tcha think it might be a bad idea to make them our of porous material ? Oh yeah, sure is, wrecks the thing in some cases. In fact if it leaked on deflection or HV it could cause a fire, prompting them to put in a gutter.

Anyway, it doesn't sound like your boards would be impregnated with anything, at least it is all on the surface. I never submerged boards, just doesn't seem like a good idea. But I did take them to the sink and use hot water, and acetone, and alcohol. Of course I had the board clean out of the unit so any components that could be damaged I could avoid easily.

For scrubbing I used a small paint brush with the bristles cut short for stiffness. I started with acetone, then rinsed that off with hot water. Then doused it with 91 % isopropyl alcohol and kinda shook it down. Then a hair dryer. I found I had to repeat the process a few times because of the stuff in the pores but you will probably not have have particular problem.

You can get away with acetone if you don't drown the boards with it.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Phil Allison wrote:

Nutcase Kook :

Only military grade ICs are specced to hermetic sealed packages.

** Horse manure.

For all

else, water is likely to migrate to the die with some probability

greater than zero, only needs going along one pin of one IC.

** Shame how nearly all PCBs are washed ( ie defluxed) in hot water these
days.

Wot a bull****ting fool you are.

For new components, I agree with you. For boards that have run hot
for a long time, many power/thermal cycles, exposure to possibly
hideously contaminated air, I am not sure I agree. I think that
under such conditions, the sealing of the package definitely may
degrade. The chips themselves are passivated way better than in
the early days, too, and that helps.

On the other hand, getting things cleaned up well, and then make
sure to properly dry them before powering on, it should be OK.
Once the chips get warmed back up, the water will be driven out.
Gear that runs stone cold should definitely be dried carefully
(ie. some heat applied).

Jon
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I wonder if it would pay to use a conformal coating if you happen to know the customer is going to put the unit into the same environment again.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

I wonder if it would pay to use a conformal coating if you happen to know the customer is going to put the unit into the same environment again.

** One maker of Mosfet power amplifier( Perreaux of NZ) had a major issue with PCB dust/fluff contamination - it made the amps crackle loudly or even blow up spectacularly.

Two mistakes;

1. There were signal tracks that ran parallel along the main PCB, spaced by about 0.4mm that differed by 240 volts DC.

2. The PCB was bare - ie not coated in the usual green resist.

After some years of service, "tracking" began across that 0.4mm gap - after cleaning, one could see the area was darkened in many places.

The usual fix was to thoroughly clean the PCB with alcohol, scratch away any darkened material and then coat the PCB with a clear lacquer sold for the purpose.

With really bad examples, I peeled off the offending tracks and fitted plastic coated wires in place.

..... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"1. There were signal tracks that ran parallel along the main PCB, spaced by about 0.4mm that differed by 240 volts DC. "

Thats ****ing crazy. Really not, but it is pushing it, I cannot beleive they HAD to do that. They did it to induce hopefully unrepairable failures. Assholes, but oI do not say stupid or they fuxcked up, they are just assholes ot the world.

"2. The PCB was bare - ie not coated in the usual green resist"

No solder mask ? (that is what we call that **** here)

With the cost of solder, most people figured out it was a good idea to use a solder mask, and this was true long time ago. Were they high or stupid ? Or can you discern ANY logical reason they did this ? Of course they could hve been incompetent, most of the people I have ever met were.

I do not know. Iknow some **** but Iam not really an engineer. If soeone can figure ut anything about why they did **** like they did except for to make planned obsolescenc and **** to sell more product, tell me.

But all I see frm any of threm is **** service, it is a $ 5,000 toaster.

If we want to have a service indeustry at all in the next few yrrars, we really have to get people to stop buying this new **** and get into not getting rid of the old ****. there is no choice.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wednesday, October 1, 2014 5:34:03 PM UTC-7, Phil Allison wrote:

ever since someone had the brain wave of putting "computer" fans inside power amps - service techs have had to deal with dust and fluff clogged heat sinks and filthy PCBs.

When such amps are installed in a music venue for years, cigarette smoke, artificial fog oil and moisture add to the mix making the result truly appalling.

In most cases thorough vacuuming and cleaning inside and outside surfaces with a damp cloth is sufficient.

Recently I had to clean a couple of Crown XS700s that were completely fouled with black fluff that proved to be electrically conductive !!

I'd try Plasti-Tac and/or Handi-Tak. Hard to describe, these are clay-like sticky
products, you rub 'em like an eraser over the surface to be cleaned, then
knead them like bread dough and the crud mixes in and never is seen again.

For some scorched and corroded gizmos, I've also used glass-bead
blasting.

For anything large, though, the old (before water-clean flux) solution was
an alcohol/water azeotrope (mixture). Rinse, distill the dirty solvent, and use it
to rinse again. As many times as needed...

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 02/10/2014 22:40, Jon Elson wrote:
Phil Allison wrote:

Nutcase Kook :

[...]

Once the thermal cycling has broken the seal somewhere, then the gap is
of ideal capillary-action dimension to suck up any water
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Phil Allison" wrote in message

** One maker of Mosfet power amplifiers (Perreaux of NZ) had a
major issue with PCB dust/fluff contamination - it made the amps
crackle loudly or even blow up spectacularly.

There were signal tracks that ran parallel along the main PCB,
spaced by about 0.4mm, that differed by 240 volts DC.

I remember Perreaux. I thought, with a name like that, their products had to
be dogs. Looks like they were.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 2 Oct 2014 17:52:25 -0700 (PDT), Phil Allison

[...]

Another fun problem that they had with a mid 80s model amp was an
intermittent popping that might show up once a week or so. This was
caused by a small signal diode that when heated or cooled didn't
exhibit the symptom. I spent weeks on the first one before resolving
this issue.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

William Sommerwerck wrote:

"Phil Allison" wrote in message

** One maker of Mosfet power amplifiers (Perreaux of NZ) had a

major issue with PCB dust/fluff contamination - it made the amps

crackle loudly or even blow up spectacularly.

There were signal tracks that ran parallel along the main PCB,

spaced by about 0.4mm, that differed by 240 volts DC.

I remember Perreaux. I thought, with a name like that,

** The owner and chief designer was a "Peter Perreaux".

their products had to be dogs. Looks like they were.

**Not at all.

Aside from that one issue, their Mosfet power amps were brilliant.

Incredibly rugged and able to withstand all the common abuses that killed competing amps. This was due mainly to the use of Hitachi TO3 mosfets, fan cooling the power tranny and having massive heatsinks.

FYI:

Once I has seen the first example of the tracking problem, I warned all the owners I knew to bring their Perreaux amps for cleaning a spray coating BEFORE anything bad happened.

Problem solved.

.... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

No solder mask ? (that is what we call that **** here)

** Nothing, the copper tracks were tinned and left bare. Not uncommon in those days - ie the early 1980s.

With the cost of solder, most people figured out it was a good idea to use a solder mask, and this was true long time ago. Were they high or stupid ?

Or can you discern ANY logical reason they did this ?

** The reason is that were using old fashioned, manual PCB making methods -
when board patterns were laid out with black adhesive tape and pads on clear plastic.

.... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

" I warned all the owners I knew to bring their Perreaux amps for cleaning a spray coating BEFORE anything bad happened. "

A spray coating ? Loike a "conformal" coating they call here ? It basically clear paint really, it just insulates from everything. they use(d) it in car camputers for a long time, and a few other things.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Phil Allison wrote:

ever since someone had the brain wave of putting "computer" fans inside power amps - service techs have had to deal with dust and fluff clogged heat sinks and filthy PCBs.

When such amps are installed in a music venue for years, cigarette smoke, artificial fog oil and moisture add to the mix making the result truly appalling.

** Some pics for you:

1. QSC USA1300, after many years operating in a venue:

http://s10.postimg.org/6e3lpj3ft/qsc1.jpg

This amp has two similar PCBs, one inverted above the other.

2. Perreaux 6000B, used but still fairly clean.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...d=11796937 34

3. Perreaux 2150, in pristine condition (cos no fan), close spaced tracks visible.

http://people.physics.anu.edu.au/~am.../underside.jpg

4. Perreaux 8000C, front view in good condition.

http://www.audiocostruzioni.com/r_s/...ux%208000c.jpg

5. Perreaux 8000C, close parallel tracks visible in centre of each PCB.

http://www.audiocostruzioni.com/r_s/...dentro%202.jpg

This amp would be a sitting duck for the PCB "tracking" problem.

..... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"1. QSC USA1300, after many years operating in a venue:

http://s10.postimg.org/6e3lpj3ft/qsc1.jpg "

Damn, that looks worse than some of the **** came out of my house.

Couple years ago I had a house and three roomies. We were all heavy smokers and not just tobacco. Over the coursae of one winter when all the windows are closed, it was enough to fog up the mirror in my laser printer.

The copies were fading, fading, fading. I'm sitting there like "I can't be running out of all four toners at once". I actually thought it had a high voltagge problem. But nope, that mirror was all fogged up.

On top of that it was an older house with gravity heat. You should've seen the dust accumulation in my computers and ****.

But TVs and other equipment coming out of bars that have kitchens were worse. That grease is a pretty effective glue after five or ten years. But even worse than that believe it or not was brownwares coming ut of hospitals. I really don't know why though, don't they have clean air standards in hospitals ? I mean I know an HVAC guy, and also know that there are rquirements about air flow/change every so many hours and all that. In fact you would think they would have biofilters and all that ****.

Of course that was some time ago.

It's probably alot worse now.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 4/10/2014 9:36 PM, Phil Allison wrote:
Phil Allison wrote:

ever since someone had the brain wave of putting "computer" fans
inside power amps - service techs have had to deal with dust and
fluff clogged heat sinks and filthy PCBs.

When such amps are installed in a music venue for years, cigarette
smoke, artificial fog oil and moisture add to the mix making the
result truly appalling.

** Some pics for you:

1. QSC USA1300, after many years operating in a venue:

http://s10.postimg.org/6e3lpj3ft/qsc1.jpg

This amp has two similar PCBs, one inverted above the other.

**Puke.

--
Trevor Wilson www.rageaudio.com.au
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 10/04/2014, 4:36 AM, Phil Allison wrote:
Phil Allison wrote:

ever since someone had the brain wave of putting "computer" fans inside power amps - service techs have had to deal with dust and fluff clogged heat sinks and filthy PCBs.

When such amps are installed in a music venue for years, cigarette smoke, artificial fog oil and moisture add to the mix making the result truly appalling.

** Some pics for you:

1. QSC USA1300, after many years operating in a venue:

http://s10.postimg.org/6e3lpj3ft/qsc1.jpg

This amp would be a sitting duck for the PCB "tracking" problem.

.... Phil

I'd want a HazMat suit for working on the that one...

John :-#(#

www.flippers.com