Posted to sci.electronics.repair
RobertMacy RobertMacy is offline

Default Cleaning a power amp

On Wed, 01 Oct 2014 18:52:06 -0700, Phil Allison
wrote:

...snip....

** Acetone and white spirit attack many plastics - plus the fumes are
harmful.
PCBs that have solder flux all over them need to be washed in solvent (
ie denatured alcohol) after being washed in hot water .

FYI: I have often imagined a bath full of Freon agitated by ultrasonics
as the perfect answer.

.... Phil

Years ago, we washed loaded PCB's in de-ionized water, then to accelerate
the drying process dissolved a bit of that water off the board with
alcohol. Later we found that inundateing the electrolytics with alcohol
did something to them that sounded a 'deathknell' for them over time. In
otherwords, the boards died a premature death, albeit a clean death.