Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Cleaning a power amp

William Sommerwerck wrote:

"Phil Allison" wrote in message

** One maker of Mosfet power amplifiers (Perreaux of NZ) had a

major issue with PCB dust/fluff contamination - it made the amps

crackle loudly or even blow up spectacularly.

There were signal tracks that ran parallel along the main PCB,

spaced by about 0.4mm, that differed by 240 volts DC.

I remember Perreaux. I thought, with a name like that,

** The owner and chief designer was a "Peter Perreaux".

their products had to be dogs. Looks like they were.

**Not at all.

Aside from that one issue, their Mosfet power amps were brilliant.

Incredibly rugged and able to withstand all the common abuses that killed competing amps. This was due mainly to the use of Hitachi TO3 mosfets, fan cooling the power tranny and having massive heatsinks.

FYI:

Once I has seen the first example of the tracking problem, I warned all the owners I knew to bring their Perreaux amps for cleaning a spray coating BEFORE anything bad happened.

Problem solved.

.... Phil