Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Self-Cleaning Oven Power Needs

I am getting ready to purchase a gas oven that is self-cleaning for my
1960's era house. The specs say I need a 15amp circuit for the
self-cleaning.

There is power to the current unit because it has a light and a clock

What was the typical rating of the wiring done back then, and how can I tell
the amperage?

Thanks for any help.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Perry Aynum wrote:
I am getting ready to purchase a gas oven that is self-cleaning for my
1960's era house. The specs say I need a 15amp circuit for the
self-cleaning.

There is power to the current unit because it has a light and a clock

What was the typical rating of the wiring done back then, and how can I tell
the amperage?

Thanks for any help.

15 Amp circuits have been the minimum "standard" house wiring for some
time with 20 amp circuits for the kitchen in newer homes. Wire size
needs to be #14 AWG minimum for a 15 amp circuit.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Perry Aynum" wrote in message
I am getting ready to purchase a gas oven that is self-cleaning for my
1960's era house. The specs say I need a 15amp circuit for the
self-cleaning.

There is power to the current unit because it has a light and a clock

What was the typical rating of the wiring done back then, and how can I
tell the amperage?

Thanks for any help.

That is a minimum standard outlet used for the past 60+ years. Since it is
a kitchen outlet, it may even be 20A. Take a look at the circuit breaker
and it should be 15A or 20A. . In fact, there should be nothing less than
15A in the breaker box.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Gas stoves usually do not use a lot of amps anyway. In fact the only
things that need electric is the clock and the electronic ignition for
the stove and oven, which don't use a lot of amps to begin with.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mike rock wrote:
Gas stoves usually do not use a lot of amps anyway. In fact the only
things that need electric is the clock and the electronic ignition for
the stove and oven, which don't use a lot of amps to begin with.

Hmmm,
And probably a solenoid mechanism to lock the door during cleaning cycle.

Posted to alt.home.repair

15 Amp circuits have been the minimum "standard" house wiring for some
time with 20 amp circuits for the kitchen in newer homes. Wire size needs
to be #14 AWG minimum for a 15 amp circuit.

Thanks. I know I have 14 AWG vs the 12AWG i.e. I've got the thinner stuff.

Thanks for all the replies.

Continual cleaning v/s Self Cleaning oven Which is better? RC Home Repair 35 March 11th 20 10:47 PM
Cleaning an oven Anthony Diodati Home Repair 13 August 28th 08 01:41 AM
oven cleaning [email protected] UK diy 3 December 30th 07 09:48 AM
Self Cleaning Oven - Just Say NO!! Charles Pisano Home Repair 21 September 16th 06 04:23 PM
self cleaning oven Travis Jordan Home Repair 13 June 6th 06 02:07 AM