Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default I think I'm losing the plot ... d :-\

So. Today I had a four piece Sony on the bench. I looked at it a couple of
weeks ago, and determined that the problem with the CD tray only loading one
way was the motor driver IC, and that the reason the cassette decks didn't
work was because the belts were totally perished. Parts duly arrived from
Sony, so fitted the IC, and that put the CD to rights. On to the tape decks.
It's a pair of that rotten Sony design that needs you to remove the cassette
doors with function buttons in them, connected by ribbon cable, then the
whole front of the unit, then the board that goes right across the back of
both decks, then the two boards one on the back of each deck, then the white
plastic motor plate has to be removed from each deck, before finally, you
reach the belts. I do all this, fit the new belts, then put it all back
together again. Left hand deck runs fine. Right hand deck is having none of
it.

After much head scratching and bridging of switches to make it run without a
tape in, I discover that the rotating head for forward and reverse play,
isn't (rotating that is) and both pinch rollers are going in at once.
Careful examination of the deck in situ reveals that there is a lever at
the bottom, which is displaced. I click it back on, run the deck, and it
pops the lever off its clips again ... So, it all had to come apart again
and this time the capstans had to come out as well to get at the piece of
mech. I get everything back in place and work the mech by hand, and all ok,
so I put it all back together again, and now it plays in forward, plays in
reverse, but when you stop and try to play forwards again, it cuts out
because the trailing spool isn't going round. Why ? because there is now a
small loop of tape in the cassette that's just long enough to not be taken
up before the autostop cuts in. And why is there a loop ? Because as the
mech comes to a stop, it just for the tiniest moment 'flicks' the take up
spool in the 'wrong' direction. And why does it do that ? **** knows is the
simple answer ...

I have had it all apart so many times now that I have had the end of one of
the ribbon cables break. As the day has worn on, I have come that close to
throwing it up the wall and taking a hammer to the bits that come back down.
And then phoning the customer, laughing maniacally, and telling them exactly
what I've done to their pride and joy. And when I say "that" close, I really
mean THAT close. I have cursed at it, and even screamed at it, but it has
taken no notice of me at all. If any of you remember the Fawlty Towers
episode where the car took a beating with a branch from a tree because it
wouldn't start, today, the Sony was that car, and I was Basil ...

The older I get, the more I'm getting to hate my life at the bench :-(

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Jun 19, 9:20*am, "Arfa Daily" wrote:
[...]

THANKS! Nothing like knowing someone else is having a worse day to
make one feel just that little bit better.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Lee Lee is offline

On 19/06/2013 17:20, Arfa Daily wrote:

snip
I have come that close to throwing it up the wall and taking a hammer to the bits that
come back down. And then phoning the customer, laughing maniacally, and
telling them exactly what I've done to their pride and joy.

Are you sure you are not channelling Les Lawry-Johns?

If any of you remember the Fawlty Towers episode where the car took a beating with
a branch from a tree because it wouldn't start

Timeless classic, my favourite bit of the all-too short series

Lee
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I get everything back in place and work the mech by hand, and all ok,
so I put it all back together again, and now it plays in forward, plays in
reverse, but when you stop and try to play forwards again, it cuts out
because the trailing spool isn't going round. Why? because there is now a
small loop of tape in the cassette that's just long enough to not be taken
up before the autostop cuts in. And why is there a loop ? Because as the
mech comes to a stop, it just for the tiniest moment 'flicks' the take up
spool in the 'wrong' direction. And why does it do that ? **** knows is the
simple answer ...

If I understand your description correctly... it shouldn't matter whether it
flicks the take-up spool, because the "correct" way to design an autostop
system is to wait until the takeup hub stops turning. This is the way Sony's
WM-D6C -- and doubtless hundreds of other cassette decks -- work.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 06/19/2013 10:56 AM, Lee wrote:
On 19/06/2013 17:20, Arfa Daily wrote:

snip
I have come that close to throwing it up the wall and taking a hammer
to the bits that
come back down. And then phoning the customer, laughing maniacally, and
telling them exactly what I've done to their pride and joy.

Are you sure you are not channelling Les Lawry-Johns?

Link to all his articles:

http://www.vintage-radio.info/llj/

If any of you remember the Fawlty Towers episode where the car took a
beating with
a branch from a tree because it wouldn't start

Timeless classic, my favourite bit of the all-too short series

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYR3N-5rPJQ

John :-#)#

Lee

www.flippers.com

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message
[...]

Yes sorry. Senior moment. It's the *supply* spool that it momentarily
flicks, and the tape counter - and hence the autostop - pulses are derived
from that spool rather than the take up spool (in "forward" that is, because
in reverse play, the supply spool of course becomes the take up spool ...).
So it's fine in reverse play, rewind, and wind - because it's quick enough
to take up the slack and get the supply spool turning - but not in forward
play, because the capstan / pinch roller is pulling the tape slowly enough
that it takes probably 2 seconds to clear the loop, and the autostop trips
in probably 1.5 seconds. And of course, what does the autostop do ? Why, it
stops the deck, of course, and what does that do ? Right. It flicks the
supply spool and throws out another 2 seconds' worth of tape ... VERY
frustrating. You can make it play by hitting FF and then immediately hitting
play. No loop then and the supply spool is providing tape counter / autostop
pulses right from the off.

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Lee" wrote in message
On 19/06/2013 17:20, Arfa Daily wrote:

snip
I have come that close to throwing it up the wall and taking a hammer to
the bits that
come back down. And then phoning the customer, laughing maniacally, and
telling them exactly what I've done to their pride and joy.

Are you sure you are not channelling Les Lawry-Johns?

If any of you remember the Fawlty Towers episode where the car took a
beating with
a branch from a tree because it wouldn't start

Timeless classic, my favourite bit of the all-too short series

Lee

Yes indeed. Amazing to think that there was only ever twelve episodes, and
it made the career of Prunella Scales, and shaped that of John Cleese for
years afterward.

Ah, Les Lawry-Johns. Now there's a name from the past ... I used to enjoy
Les's scribblings, and Donald Bullock that came after him writing similar
'Day in the Life' articles each month. I wrote servicing reports and some
articles for Telemag for many years when John Reddihough was editor and
Tessa Winford was his assistant. Mainly stuff on hifi and general audio
equipment faults, but the odd bit of other subjects like lead free soldering
legislation. If you think that I sound like Les, I take that as a great
compliment ... :-)

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Arfa Daily wrote:
[...]

Is there any type of braking mechanism and if so, is it functioning
properly? Could the brake pads be worn out?

--
David Farber
Los Osos, CA

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Arfa Daily wrote in message
[...]

:-(

Arfa

You've got it easy. I watched a recent BBC4 doc on the automata makers of
the 1700s and 1800s. The one that played a standard flute, with full
fingering and embouchure. Then the animated whole town with was it 700
separate movements sequenced by an addressable, ie not sequentially stepped,
complex stacked multicam system like a very complex Strowger mechanism

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

You've got it easy. I watched a recent BBC4 doc on the automata makers of
the 1700s and 1800s. The one that played a standard flute, with full
fingering and embouchure. Then the animated whole town with was it 700
separate movements sequenced by an addressable, ie not sequentially stepped,
complex stacked multicam system like a very complex Strowger mechanism.

Some of this is shown in the film "Hugo".

I used to have a packet of drawings made by an automaton in the Franklin
Institute. It was on display churning them out, and used a Parker T-ball
Jotter.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

William Sommerwerck wrote in message
You've got it easy. I watched a recent BBC4 doc on the automata makers

of
the 1700s and 1800s. The one that played a standard flute, with full
fingering and embouchure. Then the animated whole town with was it 700
separate movements sequenced by an addressable, ie not sequentially

stepped,
complex stacked multicam system like a very complex Strowger mechanism.

Some of this is shown in the film "Hugo".

I used to have a packet of drawings made by an automaton in the Franklin
Institute. It was on display churning them out, and used a Parker T-ball
Jotter.

I think the addressable "strowger" was used in the writing automata scribe,
now I think about it.
Give it some ink for its quill pen and it wrote perfect cursive script on
paper. Change the "program" and the text changed, each cam was for a
separate letter formation

It's a plot I tell you.... The Medway Handyman UK diy 8 December 24th 12 09:37 PM
The plot sickens SteveB[_9_] Metalworking 7 October 17th 09 09:22 PM
Plot Plans TheScullster UK diy 3 March 23rd 07 03:15 PM
DPS losing the plot? John Stumbles UK diy 15 March 25th 05 09:27 PM