Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default It's a plot I tell you....

I've concluded that tiles are sold as a loss leader & the money is made
on adhesive & grout.

Large tub of adhesive - enough to cover 8 sq mtrs - did it hell. Ran
out at less than 5 sq mtrs - applied with regular notched trowel, not
excessively.

Grout was the same. Tub also claimed "enough to cover 8 sq mtrs". &
didn't last till 6 sq mtrs.

So you have to go and buy another of each & use about a quarter of a
tub, storing the rest in the shed for 10 years in case it "comes in handy".

Paint is the same. Small can not enough, big can far too much - I
suspect they know the average room size & package accordingly.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 23, 5:12*pm, The Medway Handyman
wrote:
I've concluded that tiles are sold as a loss leader & the money is made
on adhesive & grout.

Large tub of adhesive - enough to cover 8 sq mtrs - did it hell. *Ran
out at less than 5 sq mtrs - applied with regular notched trowel, not
excessively.

Grout was the same. *Tub also claimed "enough to cover 8 sq mtrs". &
didn't last till 6 sq mtrs.

So you have to go and buy another of each & use about a quarter of a
tub, storing the rest in the shed for 10 years in case it "comes in handy".

switch to powdered? ;)

Cheers
Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
I've concluded that tiles are sold as a loss leader & the money is made
on adhesive & grout.

Large tub of adhesive - enough to cover 8 sq mtrs - did it hell. *Ran
out at less than 5 sq mtrs - applied with regular notched trowel, not
excessively.

Grout was the same. *Tub also claimed "enough to cover 8 sq mtrs". &
didn't last till 6 sq mtrs.

So you have to go and buy another of each & use about a quarter of a
tub, storing the rest in the shed for 10 years in case it "comes in handy".

Paint is the same. *Small can not enough, big can far too much - I
suspect they know the average room size & package accordingly.

Make your own. Sand cement and PVA.
Applying PVA to tile backs and floor also.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I've concluded that tiles are sold as a loss leader & the money is made
on adhesive & grout.

Large tub of adhesive - enough to cover 8 sq mtrs - did it hell. Ran
out at less than 5 sq mtrs - applied with regular notched trowel, not
excessively.

Grout was the same. Tub also claimed "enough to cover 8 sq mtrs". &
didn't last till 6 sq mtrs.

So you have to go and buy another of each & use about a quarter of a
tub, storing the rest in the shed for 10 years in case it "comes in handy".

Paint is the same. Small can not enough, big can far too much - I
suspect they know the average room size & package accordingly.

Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they are *not* out to get you

:-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

The Medway Handyman wrote:

So you have to go and buy another of each & use about a quarter of a
tub, storing the rest in the shed for 10 years in case it "comes in
handy".

That's the uk.d-i-y way.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/12/2012 14:54, Owain wrote:
On Dec 24, 5:44 am, "Brian Gaff" wrote:
And how many people can ever unblock superglue bottles and use it for the
next job.

Superglue may be best bought as 5 or 7 small tubes for £1 in Poundland
type places.

I presume it is actually superglue inside the tubes; Poundland UHU
sticks okay but not quite as smelly as I fondly remember it.

Owain

Bought something like that quite a few years ago. Very disappointed that
when we tried to use it the other day it simply did not set. Looked OK,
flowed OK.

Still - will probably buy some more small tubes next time I see some.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 24 Dec 2012 06:54:06 -0800 (PST), Owain
wrote:

On Dec 24, 5:44*am, "Brian Gaff" wrote:
And how many people can ever unblock superglue *bottles and use it for the
next job.

Superglue may be best bought as 5 or 7 small tubes for £1 in Poundland
type places.

I presume it is actually superglue inside the tubes; Poundland UHU
sticks okay but not quite as smelly as I fondly remember it.

I've been buying pound shop superglue in 8 or 10 or 12 tubes per card
and the glue works fine. I don't know whether this stuff has a shelf
life or not but I've found that, once I've opened a tube, the remainer
probably won't keep for more than a few days before it goes off solid.

I also had an odd experience with one tube that was pretty old but had
never been opened. I gave it a little shake to determine if it was
still liquid. It was. Not wanting to spurt liquid superglue out of the
nozzle, I gave the spout a quick, percussive flick to persuade any
glue there back into the main body and as I did so, I felt the whole
mass of glue turn instantly solid.

It's never happened again like that, but is there a known
chain-reaction type effect that I'd unfortunately unleashed?

Nick

Plot to Wreck America William Wixon Metalworking 0 January 14th 10 07:44 AM
The plot sickens SteveB[_9_] Metalworking 7 October 17th 09 09:22 PM
¯YWIEC LAKE PLOT [email protected] Woodworking 0 May 26th 08 10:15 AM
Plot Plans TheScullster UK diy 3 March 23rd 07 03:15 PM
DPS losing the plot? John Stumbles UK diy 15 March 25th 05 09:27 PM