Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Old style filament lamps?

On Fri, 29 Apr 2011 17:56:52 +0100, "Arfa Daily"
wrote:

"Terry Pinnell" wrote in message
.. .
lid (Adrian Tuddenham) wrote:

Terry Pinnell wrote:

lid (Adrian Tuddenham) wrote:

Terry Pinnell wrote:

(Re-posted from the lower traffic sci.electronics.misc group.)

Does anyone know where I can buy 'normal' filament lamp bulbs in the
UK
please? I just cannot get on with the new economy type. My remaining
stock
of 60W and 100W is dwindling rapidly.

http://www.wrightshardware.co.uk/Eaccess.htm

Thanks Adrian. Phoned at 7pm but I see they're closed all day Thursdays
anyway. I'll try again on Saturday after the Wedding. Doesn't look like
they have any online ordering but presumably they will despatch? Bath's
little too far to justify the trip!

He told me he intends to open the shop tomorrow (Friday).

I warned him that, if he had a website, people would expect him to do
mail order, but I don't know if he is ready for it yet.

Adrian: I phoned this morning but it appears as you suspected that Mr
Wright supplies only to those visiting his shop. He did say he'd have a
think and "talk to Adrian...". However, I'm pleased to say I've now found
another local source. I bought 20 x 60W and they've ordered the same
number of 100W.

BTW, I was surprised to learn that no 'pearl' types are now made, all are
clear glass.

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Yes Terry. See my other posts making mention of this. Apparently, pearlised
types were the first to be phased out, because they consume more energy to
make than clear ones. Oh brother ! And I suppose that CFLs, with their
hundreds of manufacturing processes, don't ... ?

Arfa

We should all know by now that the eco-nazis don't do energy accounting in
any reasonable way.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Yes Terry. See my other posts making mention of this.
Apparently, pearlised types were the first to be phased out,
because they consume more energy to make than clear ones.
Oh brother ! And I suppose that CFLs, with their hundreds of
manufacturing processes, don't ... ?

What about simple selfishness on the part of the consumer?

Suppose a 100W-equivalent CFL that draws 25W lasts only 1000 hours. In that
time you save 75kWh. At 10 cents per kWh, that's $7.50 -- three times the
cost of the bulb.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Terry Pinnell wrote in message
(Re-posted from the lower traffic sci.electronics.misc group.)

Does anyone know where I can buy 'normal' filament lamp bulbs in the UK
please? I just cannot get on with the new economy type. My remaining stock
of 60W and 100W is dwindling rapidly.

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK

In-Excess have loads of 60W and 150W conventional lamps, West End,
Southampton this pm, depots may vary across the country

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 29 Apr 2011 02:17:14 +0100, Arfa Daily wrote:

Maybe you can't see anything wrong with them, and they suit your eyes,
But they are no good for me on both counts. I, and many others both here
and over there, *can* see their deficiencies, and don't like them. As
indeed prompted the OP to make his post ...

Lots of things I don't like I had to adapt to because they were NLA or
not practical. I feel lucky at this point to afford electricity 24 hours
a day.

--
Live Fast Die Young, Leave A Pretty Corpse

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Apr 29, 4:50*am, "Arfa Daily" wrote:
"Phil Allison" wrote in message

"Terry Pinnell"
"Arfa Daily"

Maybe you can't see anything wrong with them, and they suit your eyes,
But
they are no good for me on both counts. I, and many others both here and
over there, *can* see their deficiencies, and don't like them. As indeed
prompted the OP to make his post ...

Arfa: Agreed. My feelings exactly.

** Arfa has admitted to being colour blind.

So you are too - *it seems.

Have trouble with 1% resistor codes do we???

12% of all males are colour blind - ie they fail one of the basic tests..

Only 1 or 2% of females are so afflicted *- *but THEY are the CARRIERS *!

.... *Phil

Yes indeed - I am colour blind, and if that is what makes the difference
between someone who does have an issue with CFLs, and someone who doesn't,
then 12% *- one eighth - *of the population being forced to suffer because
of this legislation, seems a pretty poor show of arrogance by the powers
that be, in insisting that we suffer in the way that we are being made to

Arfa

They want 'equality' - so now you're all equally miserable. Coming
soon to this side of the pond.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sat, 30 Apr 2011 03:18:52 -0700, "William Sommerwerck"
wrote:

Suppose a 100W-equivalent CFL that draws 25W lasts only 1000 hours. In that
time you save 75kWh. At 10 cents per kWh, that's $7.50 -- three times the
cost of the bulb.

$0.10 per kw-hr is subsidized (baseline) electricity. A tolerable
average for domestic electricity is about $0.19 per kw-hr and about
$0.28 per kw-hr for commerical electricity. The highest rate for
commerical power shown is about $0.45 per kw-hr
http://www.pge.com/about/rates/

Throw in the cost of manufacture, cost of packaging, cost of replacing
the heat produced by the incandescent lamp in winter, and CFL looks
even worse. Light reading:
http://www.greenmuze.com/blogs/guest-bloggers/1031-the-dark-side-of-cfls.html
Some of the above is more than a little alarmist and paranoid, but
still interesting. For example, it takes 16 times as much energy to
produce a CFL bulb, but at $0.17 per kw-hr, the difference is cost is
negligible.

On the base of all my CFL bulbs, I scribble in pencil the date it was
installed. I've been doing this for about 10 years. I have yet to
see a CFL bulb that I use every day last more than about 3 years. CFL
bulbs that point down last maybe a year. However, I still have one 40
watt desk lamp bulb that is about 30 years old. Unfortunately, the
piece of paper that I was scribbling the results has disappeared. If I
find it, I'll post my numbers.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"William Sommer****** is Wrong Again"

Suppose a 100W-equivalent CFL that draws 25W lasts only 1000 hours. In
that
time you save 75kWh. At 10 cents per kWh, that's $7.50 -- three times the
cost of the bulb.

** A CLF that genuinely replaces a 100W bulb cost at lot more than $2.50
where I live.

Even a "no brand" 27W CFL ( direct from China import ) sells for $ 8 to
$10 each.

I worked out long ago that the break even point for a CFL occurs at about
1000 hours - but only about half of them make it that long ,without dying
or losing almost half their light output.

..... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"William Sommer****** is Wrong Again"

Wrong.

Suppose a 100W-equivalent CFL that draws 25W lasts only 1000 hours. In
that
time you save 75kWh. At 10 cents per kWh, that's $7.50 -- three times the
cost of the bulb.

** A CLF that genuinely replaces a 100W bulb cost at lot more than $2.50
where I live.

Well, it doesn't where I live. So who's wrong?
Even if the bulb cost $5, you'd still be ahead.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"William Sommer****** is a Lying **** "

Suppose a 100W-equivalent CFL that draws 25W lasts only 1000 hours. In
that
time you save 75kWh. At 10 cents per kWh, that's $7.50 -- three times
the
cost of the bulb.

** A CLF that genuinely replaces a 100W bulb cost at lot more than $2.50
where I live.

Well, it doesn't where I live.

** Blatant lie.

And STOP SNIPPING people's cases out of sight - you ****HEAD !!!!!!!

** A CLF that genuinely replaces a 100W bulb cost at lot more than $2.50
where I live.

Even a "no brand" 27W CFL ( direct from China import ) sells for $ 8 to
$10 each.

I worked out long ago that the break even point for a CFL occurs at about
1000 hours - but only about half of them make it that long ,without dying
or losing almost half their light output.

..... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Meat Plow"

** A CLF that genuinely replaces a 100W bulb cost at lot more than $2.50
where I live.

Even a "no brand" 27W CFL ( direct from China import ) sells for $ 8
to $10 each.

I worked out long ago that the break even point for a CFL occurs at
about 1000 hours - but only about half of them make it that long
,without dying or losing almost half their light output.

http://www.homedepot.com/

EcoSmart 27-Watt (100W) Daylight CFL Light Bulb (2-Pack)
Model # ES5M827250K Internet # 100677481 Store SKU # 599526

$3.97

** Says $5.97 when I look.

Plus delivery.

EcoSmart
23-Watt (100W) Soft White CFL Light Bulbs (4-Pack)

** 23W CFL does not " genuinely replace" a 100W bulb.

$3.97

** Says $7.97 when I look.

Plus delivery.

You a bigger liar than Sommer****** or is he a bigger one than you ??

..... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Sorry, Phil... How are you going to get out of this one?

http://www.homedepot.com/EcoSmart/h_...atalogId=10053

One buck apiece.

The posted reviews are mostly highly negative. I've had no trouble with any
of the Home Depot CFLs I've bought -- including these.

I put a free one they handed out at Christmas, 2009, in the "porch light" at
my door. It's been going for well over a year -- upside-down.

Home Depot apparently has major quality-control problems. No surprise for a
Chinese product.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"William Sommerwerck is a Lying Pig "

Sorry, Phil... How are you going to get out of this one?

http://www.homedepot.com/EcoSmart/h_...atalogId=10053

One buck apiece.

The posted reviews are mostly highly negative. I've had no trouble with
any
of the Home Depot CFLs I've bought -- including these.

** My post was:

" A CFL that **genuinely replaces** a 100W bulb cost at lot more than
$2.50 where I live."

Then you post an example of CFLs that are total crap.

Lasting only weeks and producing no where near the light of a 100W bulb.

And you cannot even divide 8 by 4 and get it right.

**** OFF you bloody IMBECILE !!

..... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Phil Allison" wrote in message
"William Sommerwerck is a Lying Pig "

Sorry, Phil... How are you going to get out of this one?

http://www.homedepot.com/EcoSmart/h_...atalogId=10053

One buck apiece.

The posted reviews are mostly highly negative. I've had no trouble
with any of the Home Depot CFLs I've bought -- including these.

** My post was:

" A CFL that **genuinely replaces** a 100W bulb cost
at lot more than $2.50 where I live."

Then you post an example of CFLs that are total crap.
Lasting only weeks and producing no where near the light
of a 100W bulb. And you cannot even divide 8 by 4 and get
it right. **** OFF you bloody IMBECILE !!

The only way to defend yourself against imbeciles is to speak the truth.

I haven't measured the output of a "100W" CFL. However, they're subjectively
quite bright, on the borderline of "too bright to stare at".

Are they as bright as a 100W incandescent? The light is spread over a larger
area, so it might not look as intense. Regardless, the opinions of some
reviewers that these are not "truly" 100W equivalents are suspect.

I have exactly the same four-bulb package shown. All the EcoSmart CFLs I've
bought have given good service -- at least one year of several-hours-daily
operation -- including the one in my den, which runs upside-down. When they
"die", they start erratically and fail shortly afterwards.

Why, Phil, do you want people to think you're a sociopath? Are you afraid
people might not respect you?

One of these days, you're going to run into someone less tolerant than the
people in this group, and he'll smash your head in. No doubt your dying
words will be "I was just joking". Well, I'm not amused, nor is anyone else
here.

Why don't you just join Bin Laden? You're probably too old for him, but one
never knows. Perhaps the two of you can drop in on Chris and Satan.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
"William Sommerwerck" wrote:

Why don't you just join Bin Laden?

You're suggesting he gets himself shot in the head?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Why don't you just join Bin Laden?

You're suggesting he gets himself shot in the head?

No, I just suggested he join him. The method is up to Phil.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"William Sommerwerck is a Lying Pig "

** My post was:

" A CFL that **genuinely replaces** a 100W bulb cost at lot more than
$2.50 where I live."

Then you post an example of CFLs that are total crap.

Lasting only weeks and producing no where near the light of a 100W bulb.

And you cannot even divide 8 by 4 and get it right.

**** OFF - you PSYCHOTIC MANIAC !!

..... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Phil Allison" wrote in message

"William Sommerwerck is a Lying Pig "

** My post was:

" A CFL that **genuinely replaces** a 100W bulb cost at lot more than
$2.50 where I live."

Then you post an example of CFLs that are total crap.

Lasting only weeks and producing no where near the light of a 100W bulb.

And you cannot even divide 8 by 4 and get it right.

**** OFF - you PSYCHOTIC MANIAC !!

Phil, you're so boringly predictable.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"William Sommerwerck is a Lying Pig "

** My post was:

" A CFL that **genuinely replaces** a 100W bulb cost at lot more than
$2.50 where I live."

Then you post an example of CFLs that are total crap.

Lasting only weeks and producing no where near the light of a 100W bulb.

And you cannot even divide 8 by 4 and get it right.

**** OFF - you PSYCHOTIC MANIAC !!

**** OFF !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

..... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 02 May 2011 09:48:09 +1000, Phil Allison wrote:

"Meat Plow"

** A CLF that genuinely replaces a 100W bulb cost at lot more than
$2.50 where I live.

Even a "no brand" 27W CFL ( direct from China import ) sells for $ 8
to $10 each.

I worked out long ago that the break even point for a CFL occurs at
about 1000 hours - but only about half of them make it that long
,without dying or losing almost half their light output.

http://www.homedepot.com/

EcoSmart 27-Watt (100W) Daylight CFL Light Bulb (2-Pack) Model #
ES5M827250K Internet # 100677481 Store SKU # 599526

$3.97

** Says $5.97 when I look.

Plus delivery.

Says $3.97 when I look. Less than $2.00 each. You called Sommerwick a liar
when he said they cost less than $2.50 each. I proved they did.

EcoSmart
23-Watt (100W) Soft White CFL Light Bulbs (4-Pack)

** 23W CFL does not " genuinely replace" a 100W bulb.

That's your opinion. Mine is a 23 watt does in fact "genuinely"
replace a 100 watt incadescent.

$3.97

** Says $7.97 when I look.

Plus delivery.

Say $3.97 when i look. You called Sommerwick a liar when he said they
cost less than $2.50. Here they cost less than $1.00 each.

You a bigger liar than Sommer****** or is he a bigger one than you ??

Phil, you are the most crooked poster here in SEC. Don't try to back pedal
your way out of this, the prices don't lie and your opinion about a 23
watt CFL not being a "genuine replacement" for a 100 watt incandescent
is just obfuscated bull****.

--
Live Fast Die Young, Leave A Pretty Corpse

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 02 May 2011 13:41:55 +1000, Phil Allison wrote:

"William Sommerwerck is a Lying Pig "

Sorry, Phil... How are you going to get out of this one?

http://www.homedepot.com/EcoSmart/h_...00686997/h_d2/

ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

One buck apiece.

The posted reviews are mostly highly negative. I've had no trouble with
any
of the Home Depot CFLs I've bought -- including these.

** My post was:

" A CFL that **genuinely replaces** a 100W bulb cost at lot more than
$2.50 where I live."

No, your point was to call Sommerwick a liar when he said he could buy a
CFl that was your bull**** description of a "genuine replacement" for a
100 watt incandescent.

You are the lying pig here Phil. You've been handed your ass on this one
stop trying to spin your words out of it.

--
Live Fast Die Young, Leave A Pretty Corpse
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Meat Plow is a Lying **** "

http://www.homedepot.com/

EcoSmart 27-Watt (100W) Daylight CFL Light Bulb (2-Pack) Model #
ES5M827250K Internet # 100677481 Store SKU # 599526

$3.97

** Says $5.97 when I look.

Plus delivery.

Says $3.97 when I look.

** You are damn liar.

EcoSmart
23-Watt (100W) Soft White CFL Light Bulbs (4-Pack)

** 23W CFL does not " genuinely replace" a 100W bulb.

$3.97

** Says $7.97 when I look.

Plus delivery.

Say $3.97 when i look.

** You are a damn LIAR !!!

You a bigger liar than Sommer****** or is he a bigger one than you ??

You a bigger **** than Somme****** or is he a bigger one than you ??

Whatever, BOTH of you are low life, stinking SCUMBAG TROLLS !!!

Bowel cancer is too good a death for PSYCHO ****S like you.

...... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

EcoSmart
23-Watt (100W) Soft White CFL Light Bulbs (4-Pack)

** 23W CFL does not " genuinely replace" a 100W bulb.

$3.97

** Says $7.97 when I look.

Plus delivery.

Say $3.97 when i look.

** You are a damn LIAR !!!

You a bigger liar than Sommer****** or is he a bigger one than you ??
You a bigger **** than Somme****** or is he a bigger one than you ??
Whatever, BOTH of you are low life, stinking SCUMBAG TROLLS !!!
Bowel cancer is too good a death for PSYCHO ****S like you.

If Phil is "sane" and thinks this is all very amusing... It's gone well
beyond that. It is no longer possible to distinguish sane from nutcase.

Either Phil needs to remit himself to the care of a physician, or someone
needs to drag him to an emergency room.

I am not joking.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default XXXX OFF TROLLS

On Tue, 03 May 2011 14:58:35 +1000, Phil Allison wrote:

"Phil Allison is a Lying, Trolling **** "

I corrected your troll to represent the truth.

--
Live Fast Die Young, Leave A Pretty Corpse
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 02 May 2011 20:36:32 -0700, William Sommerwerck wrote:

[...]

He doesn't take being wrong too gracefully does he? I could care less if
he pays a 100 bucks each for them. Just don't lie about it.

--
Live Fast Die Young, Leave A Pretty Corpse

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article , Terry Pinnell
writes

Does anyone know where I can buy 'normal' filament lamp bulbs in the UK
please?

Widely available at 99p for four in pound shops all over the UK.

--
Mike Tomlinson

Lightbulb Filament Replacement keith Home Repair 0 September 15th 10 03:19 PM
HP CRT filament question dodger741 Electronics Repair 4 May 28th 08 12:35 AM
No more filament bulbs John UK diy 93 March 18th 07 06:39 PM
O.T. Making clear lamps into amber lamps NokNokMan Metalworking 14 October 12th 05 06:46 PM
Latest Projects - Mission Lamps and Country Style Clock WillR Woodworking 4 June 1st 05 01:44 PM