Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default No more filament bulbs

It said in the paper tonight that they are starting to wind down
production of filament bulbs this year.

What are we meant to do with all the security lights where CFLs won't
work?

What about my sitting room lights on a dimmer?

What about my "candle" bulb fittings where a CFL won't fit?

How am I meant to recycle those pesky CFLs when I can't dispose of them
in the rubbish (landfill prohibition)?

Grrrr!
--
John Alexander,

Remove NOSPAM if replying by e-mail
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 14 Mar 2007 18:53:59 +0000, John wrote:

|!It said in the paper tonight that they are starting to wind down
|!production of filament bulbs this year.
|!
|!What are we meant to do with all the security lights where CFLs won't
|!work?

Have you tried that newer smaller ones?

|!What about my sitting room lights on a dimmer?

Redesign your sitting room lighting

|!What about my "candle" bulb fittings where a CFL won't fit?

The EU is proposing that sale of non CFL bulbs be made illegal in *five*
years time. Lots of time for CFL replacements for these to be designed and
marketed.
--
Dave Fawthrop sf hyphenologist.co.uk 165 *Free* SF ebooks.
165 Sci Fi books on CDROM, from Project Gutenberg

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John" wrote in message
It said in the paper tonight that they are starting to wind down
production of filament bulbs this year.

What are we meant to do with all the security lights where CFLs won't
work?

What about my sitting room lights on a dimmer?

What about my "candle" bulb fittings where a CFL won't fit?

How am I meant to recycle those pesky CFLs when I can't dispose of them
in the rubbish (landfill prohibition)?

Grrrr!
--
John Alexander,

ME ME ME!

Remove NOSPAM if replying by e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Fawthrop" wrote in message
On Wed, 14 Mar 2007 18:53:59 +0000, John wrote:

|!It said in the paper tonight that they are starting to wind down
|!production of filament bulbs this year.
|!
|!What are we meant to do with all the security lights where CFLs won't
|!work?

Have you tried that newer smaller ones?

|!What about my sitting room lights on a dimmer?

Redesign your sitting room lighting

|!What about my "candle" bulb fittings where a CFL won't fit?

The EU is proposing that sale of non CFL bulbs be made illegal in *five*
years time. Lots of time for CFL replacements for these to be designed
and
marketed.

More like, lots of time to stock up with decent filament bulbs.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

lots of time to stockpile filament bulbs and say **** em.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In uk.d-i-y, Dave Fawthrop wrote:
The EU is proposing that sale of non CFL bulbs be made illegal in *five*
years time. Lots of time for CFL replacements for these to be designed and
marketed.

What are the chances of a CFL oven lamp, I wonder.

AAMOI are 12V halogen spots doomed as well?

--
Mike Barnes
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Fawthrop" wrote in message
On Wed, 14 Mar 2007 18:53:59 +0000, John wrote:

|!It said in the paper tonight that they are starting to wind down
|!production of filament bulbs this year.
|!
|!What are we meant to do with all the security lights where CFLs won't
|!work?

Have you tried that newer smaller ones?

|!What about my sitting room lights on a dimmer?

Redesign your sitting room lighting

|!What about my "candle" bulb fittings where a CFL won't fit?

The EU is proposing that sale of non CFL bulbs be made illegal in *five*
years time. Lots of time for CFL replacements for these to be designed
and
marketed.
--

Yep I'm really looking forward to them inventing a micro sized CFL bulb in a
"G4" shape to replace the constellation of little 12V 10W halogens in a

Stockpiling soon!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Simon Stroud" wrote in message

"Dave Fawthrop" wrote in message
On Wed, 14 Mar 2007 18:53:59 +0000, John wrote:

|!It said in the paper tonight that they are starting to wind down
|!production of filament bulbs this year.
|!
|!What are we meant to do with all the security lights where CFLs won't
|!work?

Have you tried that newer smaller ones?

|!What about my sitting room lights on a dimmer?

Redesign your sitting room lighting

|!What about my "candle" bulb fittings where a CFL won't fit?

The EU is proposing that sale of non CFL bulbs be made illegal in *five*
years time. Lots of time for CFL replacements for these to be designed
and
marketed.
--

Yep I'm really looking forward to them inventing a micro sized CFL bulb in
a "G4" shape to replace the constellation of little 12V 10W halogens in a
couple of my nicest lights.

Stockpiling soon!

[Local authority home energy audit Gestapo] "Your name vil also go on zi
list"

--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14 Mar, 20:50, "Graham" wrote:
"Simon Stroud" wrote in message

"Dave Fawthrop" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 14 Mar 2007 18:53:59 +0000, John wrote:

|!It said in the paper tonight that they are starting to wind down
|!production of filament bulbs this year.
|!
|!What are we meant to do with all the security lights where CFLs won't
|!work?

Have you tried that newer smaller ones?

|!What about my sitting room lights on a dimmer?

Redesign your sitting room lighting

|!What about my "candle" bulb fittings where a CFL won't fit?

The EU is proposing that sale of non CFL bulbs be made illegal in *five*
years time. Lots of time for CFL replacements for these to be designed
and
marketed.
--

Yep I'm really looking forward to them inventing a micro sized CFL bulb in
a "G4" shape to replace the constellation of little 12V 10W halogens in a
couple of my nicest lights.

Stockpiling soon!

[Local authority home energy audit Gestapo] "Your name vil also go on zi
list"

--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%

There's sure to be a huge black market for these bulbs, or ebay from
China, or market stalls.
AL

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-03-14 19:21:36 +0000, Dave Fawthrop
said:

On Wed, 14 Mar 2007 18:53:59 +0000, John wrote:

|!It said in the paper tonight that they are starting to wind down
|!production of filament bulbs this year.
|!
|!What are we meant to do with all the security lights where CFLs won't
|!work?

Have you tried that newer smaller ones?

|!What about my sitting room lights on a dimmer?

Redesign your sitting room lighting

|!What about my "candle" bulb fittings where a CFL won't fit?

The EU is proposing that sale of non CFL bulbs be made illegal in *five*
years time. Lots of time for CFL replacements for these to be designed and
marketed.

Really?

Including dealing with proper dimming and the pukey colours and dim output.?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 14 Mar 2007 19:38:03 -0000, "Grumps"
wrote:

|!"Dave Fawthrop" wrote in message
. ..
|! On Wed, 14 Mar 2007 18:53:59 +0000, John wrote:
|!
|! |!It said in the paper tonight that they are starting to wind down
|! |!production of filament bulbs this year.
|! |!
|! |!What are we meant to do with all the security lights where CFLs won't
|! |!work?
|!
|! Have you tried that newer smaller ones?
|!
|! |!What about my sitting room lights on a dimmer?
|!
|! Redesign your sitting room lighting
|!
|! |!What about my "candle" bulb fittings where a CFL won't fit?
|!
|! The EU is proposing that sale of non CFL bulbs be made illegal in *five*
|! years time. Lots of time for CFL replacements for these to be designed
|! and
|! marketed.
|!
|!More like, lots of time to stock up with decent filament bulbs.

Well I bought a Staple Gun about 30 years ago, with a good stock of staples
to fit. I am less than half way through that stock :-0

--
Dave Fawthrop sf hyphenologist.co.uk 165 *Free* SF ebooks.
165 Sci Fi books on CDROM, from Project Gutenberg
http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page Completely Free to any
address in the UK. Contact me on the *above* email address.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mary Fisher wrote:

ME ME ME!

You, You, You, what?

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Simon Stroud
writes
Yep I'm really looking forward to them inventing a micro sized CFL bulb
in a "G4" shape to replace the constellation of little 12V 10W halogens
in a couple of my nicest lights.

Well technically speaking LEDs...... But at this point in time they
are only on a par with tungsten halogen in terms of efficiency.

But they look lovely and sharp at low current.

--
Clive Mitchell
http://www.bigclive.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14 Mar, 18:53, John wrote:

It said in the paper tonight that they are starting to wind down
production of filament bulbs this year.

I wouldnt believe everything you read.

But I do beleive hm govt is dumb enough to do it.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-03-14 22:21:41 +0000, John said:

In article , Mary Fisher
writes

"John" wrote in message
It said in the paper tonight that they are starting to wind down
production of filament bulbs this year.

What are we meant to do with all the security lights where CFLs won't
work?

What about my sitting room lights on a dimmer?

What about my "candle" bulb fittings where a CFL won't fit?

How am I meant to recycle those pesky CFLs when I can't dispose of them
in the rubbish (landfill prohibition)?

Grrrr!
--
John Alexander,

ME ME ME!

No US US US!!!!

Definitely not. Collectivism never works.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Clive Mitchell writes:
In message , Simon Stroud
writes
Yep I'm really looking forward to them inventing a micro sized CFL bulb
in a "G4" shape to replace the constellation of little 12V 10W halogens
in a couple of my nicest lights.

Well technically speaking LEDs...... But at this point in time they
are only on a par with tungsten halogen in terms of efficiency.

Metal Halide -- already taken over from halogen spots commercially.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Fawthrop wrote:

Well I bought a Staple Gun about 30 years ago, with a good stock of staples
to fit. I am less than half way through that stock :-0

Not like the guys who were installing some flooring in a corner
of our office. We had to carry on working whilst they worked
through 10,000 staples in one afternoon.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember John saying
something like:

ME ME ME!

No US US US!!!!

The Ugly Americans won't go away just by shouting at them.
--

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Fawthrop wrote:

On Wed, 14 Mar 2007 18:53:59 +0000, John wrote:

|!It said in the paper tonight that they are starting to wind down
|!production of filament bulbs this year.
|!
|!What are we meant to do with all the security lights where CFLs won't
|!work?

Have you tried that newer smaller ones?

|!What about my sitting room lights on a dimmer?

Redesign your sitting room lighting

By doing what, exactly?

|!What about my "candle" bulb fittings where a CFL won't fit?

And oven lamps, and microwave lamps, and other low usage lamps (toilets)
that do not need to be on all the time.

Low energy lamps are not recommended for these uses. They do not like
short illumination.

The EU is proposing that sale of non CFL bulbs be made illegal in *five*
years time. Lots of time for CFL replacements for these to be designed and
marketed.

Who is this EU that dictates to us, without our 'democratically' elected
MPs voting on a yes or no.

Especially as we, the voters, do not even have a say in what is decided
on in this so called democratic presidential, non cabinet government. :-((

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:

Dave Fawthrop wrote:

The EU is proposing that sale of non CFL bulbs be made illegal in *five*
years time. Lots of time for CFL replacements for these to be
designed and
marketed.

lots of time to stockpile filament bulbs and say **** em.

Depends how old you are.

It's all right for us oldies, but imagine some one aged 15 doing that.
What filament lamps would he hoard?

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 14 Mar 2007 18:53:59 +0000 someone who may be John
wrote this:-

What are we meant to do with all the security lights where CFLs won't
work?

I doubt if linear halogen lights will be eradicated in the short
term. However, low powered dusk to dawn lights are better at
deterring criminals.

What about my sitting room lights on a dimmer?

Very inefficient. Dimmed bulbs consume nearly as much electricity as
undimmed ones.

What about my "candle" bulb fittings where a CFL won't fit?

http://www.lightbulbs-direct.com/var...l.asp?var=3293 and the
like won't fit?

How am I meant to recycle those pesky CFLs when I can't dispose of them
in the rubbish (landfill prohibition)?

Ask your council.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 00:24:20 +0000 someone who may be Dave
wrote this:-

Low energy lamps are not recommended for these uses. They do not like
short illumination.

That was the case in the early 1980s, when these bulbs were
introduced to the public. However, engineering has advanced since
then and there are models that cope with reasonably short on
periods.

Who is this EU that dictates to us, without our 'democratically' elected
MPs voting on a yes or no.

UK ministers go along to EU bodies and participate in the decision
making process. They then come back to the UK and claim that the
decision is nothing to do with them but was forced on them by the
nasty wasty EU. Some people believe those lies.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 07:47:02 +0000, David Hansen
wrote:

|!On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 00:24:20 +0000 someone who may be Dave
wrote this:-
|!
|!Low energy lamps are not recommended for these uses. They do not like
|!short illumination.
|!
|!That was the case in the early 1980s, when these bulbs were
|!introduced to the public. However, engineering has advanced since
|!then and there are models that cope with reasonably short on
|!periods.
|!
|!Who is this EU that dictates to us, without our 'democratically' elected
|!MPs voting on a yes or no.
|!
|!UK ministers go along to EU bodies and participate in the decision
|!making process. They then come back to the UK and claim that the
|!decision is nothing to do with them but was forced on them by the
|!nasty wasty EU. Some people believe those lies.

The EU has a voting system. I have been as a delegate in such a system
and had say to my people "Sorry, I voted against, but I was outvoted"
--
Dave Fawthrop sf hyphenologist.co.uk 165 *Free* SF ebooks.
165 Sci Fi books on CDROM, from Project Gutenberg
http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page Completely Free to any
address in the UK. Contact me on the *above* email address.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 08:02:23 +0000 someone who may be Dave Fawthrop
wrote this:-

The EU has a voting system. I have been as a delegate in such a system
and had say to my people "Sorry, I voted against, but I was outvoted"

Indeed. Voting systems also exist in the Westminster parliament and
the town hall.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-03-15 07:42:32 +0000, David Hansen

wrote this:-

What are we meant to do with all the security lights where CFLs won't
work?

I doubt if linear halogen lights will be eradicated in the short
term. However, low powered dusk to dawn lights are better at
deterring criminals.

Probably true.

What about my sitting room lights on a dimmer?

Very inefficient. Dimmed bulbs consume nearly as much electricity as
undimmed ones.

Aesthetic requirement. Customer requirements are not all about efficiency.

What about my "candle" bulb fittings where a CFL won't fit?

http://www.lightbulbs-direct.com/var...l.asp?var=3293 and the
like won't fit?

Visually, no.

How am I meant to recycle those pesky CFLs when I can't dispose of them
in the rubbish (landfill prohibition)?

Ask your council.

Tried that. Not interested.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
LSR LSR is offline

John wrote:
It said in the paper tonight that they are starting to wind down
production of filament bulbs this year.

What are we meant to do with all the security lights where CFLs won't
work?

What about my sitting room lights on a dimmer?

What about my "candle" bulb fittings where a CFL won't fit?

How am I meant to recycle those pesky CFLs when I can't dispose of
them in the rubbish (landfill prohibition)?

Grrrr!

What about lava lamps?

--
LSR

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15 Mar, 10:50, "LSR" wrote:
John wrote:

It said in the paper tonight that they are starting to wind down
production of filament bulbs this year.

What about lava lamps?

I guess you'll be required to fit a CFL and a heating element. To
shield the CFL from the element you'll need a dual pane glass
insulating unit, argon filled to meet BS 17459268949475483 for Lava
Lamps. This may only be fitted by an approved Fensa registered fitter
with the extra Lava module NVQ. The result will be lava lamps now cost
£150 and up. Oh, and energy efficiency is precisely the same.

And since the glass insulator seals are found to split in time, the
glass filling with nesting insects, you'll have to have your glass
insulating device replaced every 4 years at a cost of £149.95.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 14 Mar 2007 20:50:33 -0000, "Graham" wrote:

Yep I'm really looking forward to them inventing a micro sized CFL bulb in
a "G4" shape to replace the constellation of little 12V 10W halogens in a
couple of my nicest lights.

Stockpiling soon!

[Local authority home energy audit Gestapo] "Your name vil also go on zi
list"

Carnsill tax weekly evaluation.
Once they get rid of cash they will be able to watch everything you
buy anyway.
--
Mothers Day Offers
http://www.mothersdayoffers.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote this:-

The EU has a voting system. I have been as a delegate in such a system
and had say to my people "Sorry, I voted against, but I was outvoted"

Indeed. Voting systems also exist in the Westminster parliament and
the town hall.

You are probably better informed than I.

Are all these countless directives emanating from Brussels the result
of a democratic voting process ?

The ones I look at are usually just stamped "Done in Brussels"
(doesn't give much away, that) and countersigned by Belgian
bureaucrat.

"Done in Leeds"

DG

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote this:-

The EU has a voting system. I have been as a delegate in such a system
and had say to my people "Sorry, I voted against, but I was outvoted"

Indeed. Voting systems also exist in the Westminster parliament and
the town hall.

You are probably better informed than I.

Are all these countless directives emanating from Brussels the result
of a democratic voting process ?

The ones I look at are usually just stamped "Done in Brussels"
(doesn't give much away, that) and countersigned by Belgian
bureaucrat.

"Done in Leeds"

DG

.... and in parentheses.... (and you have been)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-03-15 10:50:07 +0000, "LSR" said:

John wrote:
It said in the paper tonight that they are starting to wind down
production of filament bulbs this year.

What are we meant to do with all the security lights where CFLs won't
work?

What about my sitting room lights on a dimmer?

What about my "candle" bulb fittings where a CFL won't fit?

How am I meant to recycle those pesky CFLs when I can't dispose of
them in the rubbish (landfill prohibition)?

Grrrr!

What about lava lamps?

Lava you than me....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 11:39:21 +0000, Owain
wrote:

Huge wrote:
I have been serially astonished at the speed with which the following
products disappeared from the mainstream; Betamax, LPs, CRT TVs and VHS.
Doubtless there are more.
I intend to start stocking up on the weird sizes and wattages of light
bulbs, starting now.

I think I might buy a spare dial for the telephone while I'm at it. The
impulsing can go out of spec after the first seventy years or so.

I have a spare dial, if you want one...

Actually I have about 20 spare dials.
--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 12:09:03 +0000 someone who may be Derek Geldard
wrote this:-

Are all these countless directives emanating from Brussels the result
of a democratic voting process ?

Many things emanating from the EU have been the result of consensus.
If one country objects then it doesn't happen. That is what is
called a veto and it is something the Mad Woman of Finchley bleated
about often.

As the EU became larger so this would have meant paralysis. As a
result for many decisions a change was made to a weighted form of
majority voting, much to the disgust of certain groups of party
politicians. That is the position at the moment.

Are these voting systems democratic? Depends what one means. They
are certainly a lot more democratic than a system where Mr Liar has
a large majority in the Westminster parliament despite less than 20%
of those eligible to vote voting for his political party.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
|!
|!On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 08:02:23 +0000 someone who may be Dave Fawthrop
wrote this:-
|!
|!The EU has a voting system. I have been as a delegate in such a system
|!and had say to my people "Sorry, I voted against, but I was outvoted"
|!
|!Indeed. Voting systems also exist in the Westminster parliament and
|!the town hall.
|!
|!You are probably better informed than I.
|!
|!Are all these countless directives emanating from Brussels the result
|!of a democratic voting process ?

Urban legends!
--
Dave Fawthrop sf hyphenologist.co.uk 165 *Free* SF ebooks.
165 Sci Fi books on CDROM, from Project Gutenberg
http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page Completely Free to any
address in the UK. Contact me on the *above* email address.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David Hansen wrote:

Low energy lamps are not recommended for these uses. They do not like
short illumination.

That was the case in the early 1980s, when these bulbs were
introduced to the public. However, engineering has advanced since
then and there are models that cope with reasonably short on
periods.

Can you recommend one that will cope with short illumination periods,
give 100% output from switch on, and work down to -10 dec C?

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David Hansen wrote:

What about my sitting room lights on a dimmer?

Very inefficient. Dimmed bulbs consume nearly as much electricity as
undimmed ones.

Dimmers are actually highly efficient. All the ones I have do a very
good job of controlling the brightness of the lamps they control.

There is a bit of a clue in the name you know - it's called a "dimmer"
switch not at "energy saver" switch. The purpose is to control the
brightness of the light not its energy consumption.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Owain" wrote in message
Huge wrote:
I have been serially astonished at the speed with which the following
products disappeared from the mainstream; Betamax, LPs, CRT TVs and VHS.
Doubtless there are more.
I intend to start stocking up on the weird sizes and wattages of light
bulbs, starting now.

I think I might buy a spare dial for the telephone while I'm at it. The
impulsing can go out of spec after the first seventy years or so.

Owain

Just tap the handset receiver bar at the correct tempo! It's (used to be)
a good 'party trick!

tap-tap-tap ...... tap-tap-tap-tap ..... etc. ....brrr-brr.

--

Brian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote this:-

Low energy lamps are not recommended for these uses. They do not like
short illumination.

That was the case in the early 1980s, when these bulbs were
introduced to the public. However, engineering has advanced since
then and there are models that cope with reasonably short on
periods.

Thanks for that. I'll take a closer look now.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:

David Hansen wrote:

Low energy lamps are not recommended for these uses. They do not like
short illumination.

That was the case in the early 1980s, when these bulbs were
introduced to the public. However, engineering has advanced since
then and there are models that cope with reasonably short on
periods.

Can you recommend one that will cope with short illumination periods,
give 100% output from switch on, and work down to -10 dec C?

There are temperature problems as well? :0)

Dave