Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Desk Lamp Mercury

I got a new desk lamp from Staples and it has a warning about mercury. THe
fluorescent bulb that came with it has the same warning. Am I right in
assuming th emercury refered to the SBCFL? THe switch rotates on the same
axis as the buld screws in, so given the gooseneck, I have no reason to
believe the switch works with mercury (ie, gravity). Am I right?

- = -
http://www.panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

One of the most common mercury switches in households for generations, has
been the mercury switch located in wall heating system thermostats.. very
well sealed in glass that used to be considerably thicker than CFL tube
glass (yes, I've broken the t-stat ones to get the mercury, but that was
older ones).

--
Cheers,
WB

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
s.com...

Dang, I hope so. As far as I know, the only kinds of mercury switches in
common use, aside from speciality ones, are ordinary household light
switches. They're talking about the CFL.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I got a new desk lamp from Staples and it has a warning about mercury. THe
fluorescent bulb that came with it has the same warning. Am I right in
assuming th emercury refered to the SBCFL? THe switch rotates on the same
axis as the buld screws in, so given the gooseneck, I have no reason to
believe the switch works with mercury (ie, gravity). Am I right?

** Mercury switches and even Mercury thermometers have been banned from sale
in most places for a long time.

However, fluoro lamps using tiny amounts of Mercury (allegedly 5 to 20mg
each ) are still allowed.

As are swordfish.

Dunno about Columbia.

..... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Jan 27, 12:45*am, wrote:
I got a new desk lamp from Staples and it has a warning about mercury. *THe
fluorescent bulb that came with it has the same warning. *Am I right in
assuming th emercury refered to the SBCFL? *THe switch rotates on the same
axis as the buld screws in, so given the gooseneck, I have no reason to
believe the switch works with mercury (ie, gravity). Am I right?

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * - = -
*Vasos Panagiotopoulos, Columbia'81+, Reagan, Mozart, Pindus, BioStrategist
* * * * * * * * * *http://www.panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm
* ---{Nothing herein constitutes advice. *Everything fully disclaimed..}---
* *[Homeland Security means private firearms not lazy obstructive guards]
*[Urb sprawl confounds terror] [Phooey on GUI: Windows for subprime Bimbos]

Of course!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Thanks - I DO think so (mercury would either be used for temperature or
gravity), but the label is pretty stupid ("COntains Mercury. Dispose of
accordingly. lamprecycle.org") it makes it look like the fixture and not the
bulb has the mercury.

BTW, this same new $12.99 gooseneck desk lamp from Staples topples over too
easily. Center of gravity is all wrong. Lucky I use LED lamps because if I
had used the CFL I wudda had a fire already. THe dang lens from the LED
popped off. I am going to find something either heavy or wide to attach to
the base.

- = -
http://www.panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Feb 6, 4:45*am, wrote:
[...]

"lamprecycle.org" if you went there...does not recycle fixtures or
appliances. It would have explained what your asking.
The "gooseneck" I bought from Staples was a "Tensor" and has a cast-
iron disc in the base. (Works well with CFL)
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

*+-"lamprecycle.org" if you went there...does not recycle fixtures or

True - but the label is still at least misleading

Lamp usually refers to fixture, bulb to bulb..

*+-appliances. It would have explained what your asking.
*+-The "gooseneck" I bought from Staples was a "Tensor" and has a cast-
*+-iron disc in the base. (Works well with CFL)

The one that needed replacing had a cast iron disc at the base. Unfortunately
the old neck got unscrewed from the base too much when I moved it around,
overtwisting the wires. And the wires where riveted onto the scoket, and my
(stock drawer) 600W sockets didn't fit where the old 60W riveted socket was.

THis one (e101956 MN 13061 003 UL g137) doens't seem to have a base weight
(haven't opened it though).

- = -
http://www.panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm

Fuse for Desk Lamp 10mm x 3.6mm 1.0 Amp 250 Volt Steve Lowe UK diy 14 February 12th 14 08:56 PM
Worn Friction Hinge on Desk Lamp Peter[_14_] Home Repair 10 April 24th 09 03:41 AM
Magnifying desk lamp? T i m UK diy 23 July 31st 06 10:00 AM
Power 1000W H36 Mercury lamp EJohnson Home Repair 1 April 9th 06 03:25 AM
LED,LED Lamp,LED Lights,LED Display,Automotive Lamp,LED Chip,LED Module [email protected] Electronics 0 December 4th 05 11:08 AM