Posted to sci.electronics.repair
isw isw is offline

Default Desk Lamp Mercury

In article m,
David Nebenzahl wrote:

On 1/26/2011 10:45 PM spake thus:

I got a new desk lamp from Staples and it has a warning about mercury. THe
fluorescent bulb that came with it has the same warning. Am I right in
assuming th emercury refered to the SBCFL? THe switch rotates on the same
axis as the buld screws in, so given the gooseneck, I have no reason to
believe the switch works with mercury (ie, gravity). Am I right?

Dang, I hope so. As far as I know, the only kinds of mercury switches in
common use, aside from speciality ones, are ordinary household light
switches. They're talking about the CFL.

Thermostats commonly have mercury switches.

Isaac