Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Desk Lamp Mercury

I got a new desk lamp from Staples and it has a warning about mercury. THe
fluorescent bulb that came with it has the same warning. Am I right in
assuming th emercury refered to the SBCFL? THe switch rotates on the same
axis as the buld screws in, so given the gooseneck, I have no reason to
believe the switch works with mercury (ie, gravity). Am I right?

** Mercury switches and even Mercury thermometers have been banned from sale
in most places for a long time.

However, fluoro lamps using tiny amounts of Mercury (allegedly 5 to 20mg
each ) are still allowed.

As are swordfish.

Dunno about Columbia.

..... Phil