Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

Default Quest du jour- seeking T1.25 wire base blue tinted bulbs.

Anybody know a source for T1 1/4 wire base bulbs (NOT LEDs) with blue
tint? Trying to replace the lights on the HVAC controls for a 2005
Caravan. Dealer claims they are unserviceable, and wants to sell me a
whole new pod for hundreds of dollars. I have already replaced them with
T1's (too small) after buying T1 3/4 that were too big (I feel like
Goldilocks), but the T1s are too short, and the blue condoms make them
too dim. I am aware of McMaster-Carr and Allied- that is where I wasted
my money on the first two tries, for the condoms and bulbs respectively.
Allied has clear bulbs in the right size (now that dummy me figured out
what the size is), but not the tinted ones.

And yes, I already tried rec.autos.tech.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 26 Jan 2011 19:22:03 -0500, aemeijers wrote:

Anybody know a source for T1 1/4 wire base bulbs (NOT LEDs) with blue
tint? Trying to replace the lights on the HVAC controls for a 2005
Caravan. Dealer claims they are unserviceable, and wants to sell me a
whole new pod for hundreds of dollars. I have already replaced them with
T1's (too small) after buying T1 3/4 that were too big (I feel like
Goldilocks), but the T1s are too short, and the blue condoms make them
too dim. I am aware of McMaster-Carr and Allied- that is where I wasted
my money on the first two tries, for the condoms and bulbs respectively.
Allied has clear bulbs in the right size (now that dummy me figured out
what the size is), but not the tinted ones.

And yes, I already tried rec.autos.tech.

Can't you apply an acrylic blue tint to the bulbs. Or just suffer with a
white light?

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

On 1/26/2011 7:28 PM, Meat Plow wrote:
[...]

I'm no artist or painter- where would I get that in small quantity at a
decent price? I was just thinking blue nail polish or model paint of the
'candy' variety.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 26 Jan 2011 19:42:44 -0500, aemeijers wrote:

[...]

A clear blue tinted nail polish might work if the lamp didn't get too
hot. I used to tint Grain of Wheat lamps all the time with nail polish.

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

aemeijers wrote:
[...]

You should be able to buy acrylic spray paint at almost any hardware store
or home improvement store. Walmart, Kmart, Target, etc. should have acrylic
spray paint in their crafts section as well as the paint section.
Acrylic spray paint isn't hard to find.
--
David
dgminala at mediacombb dot net

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

On 1/26/2011 7:54 PM, Dave M wrote:
aemeijers wrote:
[...]

I suppose- I was thinking something that I could dab on, or just dip the
bulb in. I already have way too many spray cans sitting around going
flat, that I'll never finish.

No hurry at this point- the lights I put in are bright enough to at
lease SEE the damn controls. Maybe when it warms up again, I'll feel
more motivated.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

aemeijers wrote:

Anybody know a source for T1 1/4 wire base bulbs (NOT LEDs) with blue
tint? Trying to replace the lights on the HVAC controls for a 2005
Caravan. Dealer claims they are unserviceable, and wants to sell me a
whole new pod for hundreds of dollars. I have already replaced them with
T1's (too small) after buying T1 3/4 that were too big (I feel like
Goldilocks), but the T1s are too short, and the blue condoms make them
too dim. I am aware of McMaster-Carr and Allied- that is where I wasted
my money on the first two tries, for the condoms and bulbs respectively.
Allied has clear bulbs in the right size (now that dummy me figured out
what the size is), but not the tinted ones.

And yes, I already tried rec.autos.tech.

--
aem sends...

When I got tired of burned out lamps in the CD/radio in my Chevy truck,
I replaced them with T1 white LEDs from DigiKey (and dropping
resistors). They worked perfectly, and even dim evenly with the normal
instrument dimmer control.

http://wpnet.us/guts.jpg
http://wpnet.us/closeup.jpg
http://wpnet.us/display.jpg
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

On 1/26/2011 8:38 PM, Pete C. wrote:

aemeijers wrote:

[...]

Yeah, I know, and that is what all the gearheads on the Dodge truck/van
forums said to do. But I am soldering-challenged, and haven't seen my
fine-point Weller in at least a decade. I'm sure it is SOMEPLACE here,
but....
The swap I did, and what I wanna do again with the correct parts, is
straight mechanical work, and totally reversible if I take the lazy way
out and find a real U-pick junkyard (none near here with anything newer
than 2000), and harvest some bulbs from shiny wrecks. I have no
convenient way to heat the board to tell which side of the hole in the
PC board is + and -, and no convenient way to solder to the trace and
get a good connection. These push-and-turn PC bases that the wire tails
wrap around are about 3 layers deep inside the mother. It took me about
3 tries to find a T9 torx bit to even open it up. In the Gen IV mopar
minis like mine, there are about 6 different variants of the HVAC
control pod. The documentation the parts guy had only applies to the
fancy version, with hard-mounted bulbs. 3 different dealers told me the
lights were not serviceable. I opened up the also-dark headlight switch
panel, and found holes for similar lights, but no lights and no feed
traces, and empty holes in the connector block. !#$%^& Chrysler had
'decontented' the vans by 05, to save a couple bucks here and there.

rant mode off

I know I have wasted way too much time and money on this already, but
'engineering' like this, done by bean counters, just ****es me off.

--
aem sends...

--
aem sends....
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
aemeijers wrote:

Anybody know a source for T1 1/4 wire base bulbs (NOT LEDs) with blue
tint? Trying to replace the lights on the HVAC controls for a 2005
Caravan. Dealer claims they are unserviceable, and wants to sell me a
whole new pod for hundreds of dollars. I have already replaced them with
T1's (too small) after buying T1 3/4 that were too big (I feel like
Goldilocks), but the T1s are too short, and the blue condoms make them
too dim. I am aware of McMaster-Carr and Allied- that is where I wasted
my money on the first two tries, for the condoms and bulbs respectively.
Allied has clear bulbs in the right size (now that dummy me figured out
what the size is), but not the tinted ones.

And yes, I already tried rec.autos.tech.

I don't know what "wire base" means. I don't think that's standard
terminology. But anyway, have you tried bulbs.com or one of those other
"we sell every light bulb known to man" type places?

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

On 1/26/2011 6:42 PM, aemeijers wrote:

I'm no artist or painter- where would I get that in small quantity at a
decent price? I was just thinking blue nail polish or model paint of the
'candy' variety.

Hit the tackle department of a fairly decent sporting goods supplier.
You'll find small bottles of paint for jigs and flies. That's what I've
used to touch up Christmas light bulbs.
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

Smitty Two wrote:

In article ,
aemeijers wrote:

Anybody know a source for T1 1/4 wire base bulbs (NOT LEDs) with blue
tint? Trying to replace the lights on the HVAC controls for a 2005
Caravan. Dealer claims they are unserviceable, and wants to sell me a
whole new pod for hundreds of dollars. I have already replaced them with
T1's (too small) after buying T1 3/4 that were too big (I feel like
Goldilocks), but the T1s are too short, and the blue condoms make them
too dim. I am aware of McMaster-Carr and Allied- that is where I wasted
my money on the first two tries, for the condoms and bulbs respectively.
Allied has clear bulbs in the right size (now that dummy me figured out
what the size is), but not the tinted ones.

And yes, I already tried rec.autos.tech.

I don't know what "wire base" means.

Like the old NE-2 lamp. Wire leads, no base.
http://www.donsbulbs.com/bulbs/g632/ib/a1a-ne2-a1a2~usa.jpg

Teflon coated.
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

On 1/26/11 8:27 PM, Smitty Two wrote:
In ,
wrote:

[...]

see
http://www.topbulb.com/find/Product_...ductID_E_42901

for clear T1.25 wire base bulbs
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

* *wrote:

[...]

seehttp://www.topbulb.com/find/Product_Description.asp_Q_intProductID_E_....

for clear T1.25 wire base bulbs- Hide quoted text -

Blue felt-tipped permanent marker applied several times to the bulb
while it is lit so speed up drying of the felt-tipped ink.
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

On 1/26/2011 10:27 PM, Smitty Two wrote:
In ,
wrote:

[...]

Yeah, I found the clears several places, usually at a high markup.
Allied was cheapest, and delivered overnight. M-C had the blue bulb
covers. (which a year ago before rice-rocket craze died out, every auto
parts store had.) But they don't have the 1 1/4 size.

'wire base' or 'wire terminal' was what the online catalogs called what
I knew as grain-of-wheat bulbs, a glass bulb with the long wires
trailing from it. Used to be dirt-common as radio dial lights and such,
and every radio shack had a whole multi-bin drawer of them. Mostly
replaced by LEDs in modern technology- I have a little plastic drawer
full of 5v LEDs from my PC-rebuilding days.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

[...]

Appreciate it, but that is 4x what Allied charges.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

aemeijers wrote:

[...]

Do you have a non-soldering-challenged friend or coworker who can do the
work for beer and pizza? It's only perhaps an hour job at most.
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Jan 26, 7:42*pm, aemeijers wrote:
[...]

either of those ideas should work, also you could get some transparent
paint intended for making fake stained glass. I've used nail polish
before to "make" 57Rs for dash bulbs for old Studebakers.

If you've already got the bulb condoms why not just get a higher
wattage bulb than the ones you've already tried? any tint/paint will
reduce light output as well.

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

I am a lighting service person and we use DEKA brand transparent LIGHT BLUE
glass stain. I have personally used this to dip antique x-mas lights and
#47 dial bulbs with EXCELLENT results.......most any glass or hobby shop can
get this.
the small size bottle is 2/3 fluid ounce for about $4ea. this will do
aprox 75 #40 lamps ( these were used as Christmas lights in the late
1940's)
clean the lamps with alcohol, dip, stick the wire leads into a piece of
Styrofoam at an angle so the paint drips down but not all over the
leads....one dip will give very good results....if you really want to do it
right bake these in a toaster oven at 200-300 degrees for aprox 15 minutes
after they are dry to the touch. THIS WILL STINK a little,, so make sure
the wife is away, but it wont damage the oven. or contact me by email and I
can do a few for you if your not in a big hurry.

Herb Harrison Oxnard Calif USA

"aemeijers" wrote in message
Anybody know a source for T1 1/4 wire base bulbs (NOT LEDs) with blue
tint? Trying to replace the lights on the HVAC controls for a 2005
Caravan. Dealer claims they are unserviceable, and wants to sell me a
whole new pod for hundreds of dollars. I have already replaced them with
T1's (too small) after buying T1 3/4 that were too big (I feel like
Goldilocks), but the T1s are too short, and the blue condoms make them too
dim. I am aware of McMaster-Carr and Allied- that is where I wasted my
money on the first two tries, for the condoms and bulbs respectively.
Allied has clear bulbs in the right size (now that dummy me figured out
what the size is), but not the tinted ones.

And yes, I already tried rec.autos.tech.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

On Jan 26, 5:22*pm, aemeijers wrote:
Anybody know a source for T1 1/4 wire base bulbs (NOT LEDs) with blue
tint? Trying to replace the lights on the HVAC controls for a 2005
Caravan. Dealer claims they are unserviceable, and wants to sell me a
whole new pod for hundreds of dollars. I have already replaced them with
T1's (too small) after buying T1 3/4 that were too big (I feel like
Goldilocks), but the T1s are too short, and the blue condoms make them
too dim. I am aware of McMaster-Carr and Allied- that is where I wasted
my money on the first two tries, for the condoms and bulbs respectively.
Allied has clear bulbs in the right size (now that dummy me figured out
what the size is), but not the tinted ones.

And yes, I already tried rec.autos.tech.

--
aem sends...

AEM

bulbman.com or google for more leads

Bob AZ

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

#47 dial bulbs with EXCELLENT results.......most any glass or hobby shop can
get this.
the small size bottle is 2/3 fluid ounce for about $4ea. this will do
aprox 75 #40 lamps ( these were used as Christmas lights in the late
1940's)
clean the lamps with alcohol, dip, stick the wire leads into a piece of
Styrofoam at an angle so the paint drips down but not all over the
leads....one dip will give very good results....if you really want to do it
right bake these in a toaster oven at 200-300 degrees for aprox 15 minutes
after they are dry to the touch. THIS WILL STINK a little,, so make sure
the wife is away, but it wont damage the oven. or contact me by email and I
can do a few for you if your not in a big hurry.

Herb Harrison Oxnard Calif USA

Thanks. I'll try 'Hobby Lobby' this weekend. (when they came in, the
ma'n'pa places went belly up.)

aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

On 1/26/2011 7:22 PM, aemeijers wrote:
Anybody know a source for T1 1/4 wire base bulbs (NOT LEDs) with blue
tint? Trying to replace the lights on the HVAC controls for a 2005
Caravan. Dealer claims they are unserviceable, and wants to sell me a
whole new pod for hundreds of dollars. I have already replaced them with
T1's (too small) after buying T1 3/4 that were too big (I feel like
Goldilocks), but the T1s are too short, and the blue condoms make them
too dim. I am aware of McMaster-Carr and Allied- that is where I wasted
my money on the first two tries, for the condoms and bulbs respectively.
Allied has clear bulbs in the right size (now that dummy me figured out
what the size is), but not the tinted ones.

And yes, I already tried rec.autos.tech.

Blue INK will work much better than blue paint.
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

On 1/26/2011 4:22 PM aemeijers spake thus:

Anybody know a source for T1 1/4 wire base bulbs (NOT LEDs) with blue
tint? Trying to replace the lights on the HVAC controls for a 2005
Caravan. Dealer claims they are unserviceable, and wants to sell me a
whole new pod for hundreds of dollars. I have already replaced them with
T1's (too small) after buying T1 3/4 that were too big (I feel like
Goldilocks), but the T1s are too short, and the blue condoms make them
too dim. I am aware of McMaster-Carr and Allied- that is where I wasted
my money on the first two tries, for the condoms and bulbs respectively.
Allied has clear bulbs in the right size (now that dummy me figured out
what the size is), but not the tinted ones.

Well, here's something novel for this thread: an actual possible source
of bulbs. Try donsbulbs. This search:

http://www.donsbulbs.com/cgi-bin/r/t...archb=t1-1%2F4

turned up a ****load of T1-1/4 bulbs. Sorry, too lazy to go through
them; maybe your bulb is in there somewhere. (Or you could contact the
guy; I think it's actually some guy named Don who runs this biz.)

who stands to make his point, then removes his hearing aid as a sign
that he is not going to hear any rebuttals.
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

#47 dial bulbs with EXCELLENT results.......most any glass or hobby shop can
get this.

wrote in message
Anybody know a source for T1 1/4 wire base bulbs (NOT LEDs) with blue
tint? Trying to replace the lights on the HVAC controls for a 2005
Caravan. Dealer claims they are unserviceable, and wants to sell me a
whole new pod for hundreds of dollars. I have already replaced them with
T1's (too small) after buying T1 3/4 that were too big (I feel like
Goldilocks), but the T1s are too short, and the blue condoms make them too
dim. I am aware of McMaster-Carr and Allied- that is where I wasted my
money on the first two tries, for the condoms and bulbs respectively.
Allied has clear bulbs in the right size (now that dummy me figured out
what the size is), but not the tinted ones.

And yes, I already tried rec.autos.tech.

--
aem sends...

I think we have a winner here. Local Hobby Lobby didn't have the exact
stuff specified, but they did have stained glass paint in daubing
bottles, that they claimed were from the same company, although it
didn't say so on the bottle. I tried it on a couple of the wrong-size
bulbs, and it seemed to work okay. I have ordered t1.25s from Allied,
and first warm (or at least above-freezing) day, I'll open it up and
give it another try. Bulbs should be here Monday or Tues, so I'll
pre-paint enough of them and leave them stuck in the foam block sitting
in a sunny window for several days, for maximum hardness (short of over
baking. After 4 years of non-use, I'm scared to open my oven.)

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
aemeijers wrote:

I'll
pre-paint enough of them and leave them stuck in the foam block sitting
in a sunny window for several days, for maximum hardness (short of over
baking.

Just power them. They'll give off plenty of heat to bake their fresh
coatings.

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

On 1/31/2011 2:12 AM, Smitty Two wrote:
In ,
wrote:

I'll
pre-paint enough of them and leave them stuck in the foam block sitting
in a sunny window for several days, for maximum hardness (short of over
baking.

Just power them. They'll give off plenty of heat to bake their fresh
coatings.

If I had a bench supply (other than that old Rat Shack POS with the plus
and minus markings on the case backwards), I would. I have some wall
warts in my collection that put out 12v, but don't know how clean the
waveform is, or how much current they provide. I guess I could duct-tape
a buncha D cells together, but I'm rapidly losing interest in this
project, and they are predicting 12-15 inches of snow tomorrow night, so
I anticipate being rather tired the next few days....

--
aem sends...