Posted to uk.telecom,uk.d-i-y,sci.electronics.repair

Default [OT] Seeking headset to plug into phone base unit (via 4P4C)

I want to use a regular headset (earphones & mic) with my landline
phone. The headset would plug into the socket on the phone instead
of the curly lead.

I'm in the UK and the cost of ready-made telephone headsets are
about £30 or £40 which is a bit steep for me.

So I guess it should be possible to modify an ordinary headset to
terminate with a 4P4C plug which would then go into the curly lead
socket on the phone. I'm hoping it's almost as simple as:

(a) replace the mic in the original handpiece by the mic in the new
headset

(b) replace the earphone in the original handpiece by the earphone
in the new headset.

What special considerations are there about headphone/mic impedance
or about any additional components which may be needed?

Is there any constructor info or a simple circuit diagram for this?
Posted to uk.telecom,uk.d-i-y,sci.electronics.repair
jkn jkn is offline

I've never tried it (though I keep meaning to...) but the wikipedia
entry for '4p4c'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4P4C

has a diagram which shows the 'usual' connections.

As Owain says, there is no guarantee about this. I have a Retell
Recorders box for recording via the headset lead; it has a six-way
switch to allow you to select the right wiring combination! From
talking to Retell some years ago I learned than 95% of telephones
correspond to their 'setting 1' or 'setting 2'. I haven't got my notes
on this to hand but suspect the wikipedia diagram is 'setting 1' and
might be worth a try.

HTH
J^n
Posted to uk.telecom,uk.d-i-y,sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 15:26:38 +0100, John wrote:

I want to use a regular headset (earphones & mic) with my landline
phone. The headset would plug into the socket on the phone instead
of the curly lead.

I'm in the UK and the cost of ready-made telephone headsets are
about £30 or £40 which is a bit steep for me.

So I guess it should be possible to modify an ordinary headset to
terminate with a 4P4C plug which would then go into the curly lead
socket on the phone. I'm hoping it's almost as simple as:

(a) replace the mic in the original handpiece by the mic in the new
headset

(b) replace the earphone in the original handpiece by the earphone
in the new headset.

What special considerations are there about headphone/mic impedance
or about any additional components which may be needed?

Is there any constructor info or a simple circuit diagram for this?

There was a similar thread on UK DIY about this a short while back -
but to precis my earlier comments you'd be better off with a
Bluetooth-enabled landline phone and a matching headset.
I've got a BT Glide and a Sony Akono headset. The phone's a bit cheap
and plasticky ( Siemens do a nicer one ) but the setup works a treat -
and the range is impressive.
It's been weeks since I picked up the old handset.

Regards,

--
Steve ( out in the sticks )
Email: Take time to reply: timefrom_usenet{at}gmx.net
Posted to uk.telecom,uk.d-i-y,sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

[...]

The bluetooth solution sounds great but it would blow my budget
to pieces.

I wanted to save on the £30 or £40 for a plug-in headset but the
BT Glide is over £150 and you would still need to get a
bluetooth headset ontop of that!
Posted to uk.telecom,uk.d-i-y,sci.electronics.repair

In message , Stephen Howard
writes
[...]

I think that was me - the requirement was for wireless - and needs a
DECT phone

When the OP thinks £30-40 is a bit steep, I don't think its a solution

--
geoff

Posted to uk.telecom,uk.d-i-y,sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 23:32:51 +0100, Matt H R
wrote:

On 22 Apr 18:29, Stephen Howard wrote:

snip

There was a similar thread on UK DIY about this a short while
back - but to precis my earlier comments you'd be better off
with a Bluetooth-enabled landline phone and a matching
headset. I've got a BT Glide and a Sony Akono headset. The
phone's a bit cheap and plasticky ( Siemens do a nicer one )
but the setup works a treat - and the range is impressive.
It's been weeks since I picked up the old handset.

The bluetooth solution sounds great but it would blow my budget
to pieces.

I wanted to save on the £30 or £40 for a plug-in headset but the
BT Glide is over £150 and you would still need to get a
bluetooth headset ontop of that!

I got my Glide for £1.50 on ebay!
OK, so it was listed as knackered ( no earpiece sound ) - but I
figured it probably still worked via a headset, which it did.
I took it apart and stuffed in the earpiece speaker out of an old
Ericsson...works fine now.
No way I'd pay £150 for the Glide.

If you can find a shabby one cheap and just use it as a 'headset
engine' you might come in on budget.
I don't know why the landline Bluetooth phones are so expensive - you
can get a Bluetooth enabled mobile for a very great deal less.

Regards,

--
Stephen Howard
Woodwind repairs & period restorations
Posted to uk.telecom,uk.d-i-y,sci.electronics.repair

[...]

Did you find a solution to your request?

Take a look at
http://www.jabra.com/sites/jabra/uk-...bragn9120.aspx

Yes it's expensive! But I've got one here unused - the box is a bit
tatty but all the bits and manuals are present. You can have it for
£45 including carriage.

Neil

Reply here in first instance.

Posted to uk.telecom,uk.d-i-y,sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 20 May 2009 00:26:38 +0100, Neil wrote:

On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 15:26:38 +0100, John wrote:
I'm in the UK and the cost of ready-made telephone headsets are about
£30 or £40 which is a bit steep for me.

You can have it for £45 including carriage.

Generosity abounds on UseNet News, eh?
Posted to uk.telecom,uk.d-i-y,sci.electronics.repair

In message , Neil
writes
[...]

I bought a Photonics one new for £65 a couple of months ago

--
geoff
Posted to uk.telecom,uk.d-i-y,sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 20 May 2009 20:28:56 +0100, geoff wrote:
Neil writes
[...]

And, I've purchased good-as-new AT&T units (and others) at 2nd-hand
stores from 4 to 9 USD.

They are a godsend for the times you have to deal with any government
agency, insurance company, bank or credit card company, some reservation
processes, and when you need to work a problem with most any pin-head
bureaucracy.

Jonesy
--
Marvin L Jones | jonz | W3DHJ | linux

Posted to uk.telecom,uk.d-i-y,sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 20 May 2009 20:28:56 +0100, geoff had this
to say:

In message , Neil
writes
[...]

But I thought the OP found £30 a bit steep...

Traditional headsets/handsets were fairly conventional in the days of
rocking armature receivers and carbon transmitters (and even the early
electret transmitters), and one could swap readily from handset to
headset.
Modern 'technology' seems to outlaw all this and demands that you buy
a 'high-tech' substitute...

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.telecom,uk.d-i-y,sci.electronics.repair

In message , Frank Erskine
writes
[...]

My point being that £45 is a bit steep for 2nd hand goods

--
geoff