Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Quest du jour- seeking T1.25 wire base blue tinted bulbs.

On 1/26/2011 7:54 PM, Dave M wrote:
aemeijers wrote:
On 1/26/2011 7:28 PM, Meat Plow wrote:
On Wed, 26 Jan 2011 19:22:03 -0500, aemeijers wrote:

Anybody know a source for T1 1/4 wire base bulbs (NOT LEDs) with
blue tint? Trying to replace the lights on the HVAC controls for a
2005 Caravan. Dealer claims they are unserviceable, and wants to
sell me a whole new pod for hundreds of dollars. I have already
replaced them with T1's (too small) after buying T1 3/4 that were
too big (I feel like Goldilocks), but the T1s are too short, and
the blue condoms make them too dim. I am aware of McMaster-Carr and
Allied- that is where I wasted my money on the first two tries, for
the condoms and bulbs respectively. Allied has clear bulbs in the
right size (now that dummy me figured out what the size is), but
not the tinted ones. And yes, I already tried rec.autos.tech.

Can't you apply an acrylic blue tint to the bulbs. Or just suffer
with a white light?

I'm no artist or painter- where would I get that in small quantity at
a decent price? I was just thinking blue nail polish or model paint
of the 'candy' variety.

You should be able to buy acrylic spray paint at almost any hardware store
or home improvement store. Walmart, Kmart, Target, etc. should have acrylic
spray paint in their crafts section as well as the paint section.
Acrylic spray paint isn't hard to find.

I suppose- I was thinking something that I could dab on, or just dip the
bulb in. I already have way too many spray cans sitting around going
flat, that I'll never finish.

No hurry at this point- the lights I put in are bright enough to at
lease SEE the damn controls. Maybe when it warms up again, I'll feel
more motivated.

--
aem sends...