Robert11

Default House Wiring NM Wire Gage For 30 Amp Breaker Quest. ?

Hello:

For the standard Copper NM interior house wiring:

Am I correct than for (any) circuit breaker labeled 30 amps, the minimum
gage
of wire going to it should be # 10 AWG ?

Thanks,
B.

Speedy Jim

Robert11 wrote:

Hello:

For the standard Copper NM interior house wiring:

Am I correct than for (any) circuit breaker labeled 30 amps, the minimum
gage
of wire going to it should be # 10 AWG ?

You are indeed (correct).

[Now let's see who will trot out Art. 240-3 exceptions...]

Jim
The Real Tom

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 10:04:11 -0500, "Robert11"
wrote:

Hello:

For the standard Copper NM interior house wiring:

Am I correct than for (any) circuit breaker labeled 30 amps, the minimum
gage
of wire going to it should be # 10 AWG ?

Thanks,
B.

Per 2002NEC 240.4(d), YES. 10# for non 240.4(e-g) applications, 10
AWG can be used on 30 amp circuits.

Now just summerizing what the NEC says, so read for yourself if you
are serious about learning more.

hth,

tom

The Real Tom

wrote:

Hello:

For the standard Copper NM interior house wiring:

Am I correct than for (any) circuit breaker labeled 30 amps, the minimum
gage
of wire going to it should be # 10 AWG ?

Thanks,
B.

Per 2002NEC 240.4(d), YES. 10# for non 240.4(e-g) applications, 10
AWG can be used on 30 amp circuits.

Now just summerizing what the NEC says, so read for yourself if you
are serious about learning more.

hth,

tom

Oops, forgot to say copper. If you have alumium, then t310.16 says
8#.

hth,

tom

TURTLE

"Robert11" wrote in message
Hello:

For the standard Copper NM interior house wiring:

Am I correct than for (any) circuit breaker labeled 30 amps, the minimum gage
of wire going to it should be # 10 AWG ?

Thanks,
B.

This is Turtle.

Yes as to looking at any wire guage chart but you could possibly find a no if
you researched hard enough of the NEC code to find a flaw in your application.
So Yes if you don't like to arguee.

TURTLE