Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Negative ion disrupters

The other day I was walking around the local mall with some friends
when I was approched by this young girl at a kiosk. She asked me if I
was
familiar with how all the negative ions in the air, which are caused
by cell phones, wireless equipment, etc interfere with the natual
processes of our bodies and disrupt our equalibrium. I truly have not
heard about this but being bored anyway I decided to let her lay this
rap on me. Besides she wasn't too hard to look at and so this made it
a lot more interesting.

She asked me to stand on my right foot only and stick my left arm
straight out and she asked me to try to balance. She then placed her
hand on my left wrist, applied some pressure and tipped me over. We
then repeated this process on the other side with the same results.

At this point she showed me what appeared to be simply a small rubber
"bracelet". She put this thing on my wrist and we repeated the
process. I was amazed to note that my balance was a lot better and she
was not able to tip me over on either side.

Being the sceptic, (and probably the most difficult person to try to
sell anything to) I had to confirm what had just happened. So we
repeated the whole process, twice more. Each time I was very careful
to note the position of her hand on my wrist, the downward force used,
etc. The seemingly ashtonishing results were the same.

It didn't seem to matter which hand the thing was on either. In fact
she offered that it would probably work if it was in my pocket,
although we didn't try that.

The "bracelet" was 25.00. I didn't buy one though. I told the girl
that I really wantd to find out more about this and she told me that
she would be there well into January. Surprisingly she wasn't pushy at
all.

Now this probably is going to sound a bit stupid but I do believe that
SOMETHIBG was happening there but I can't imagine what. I am sure that
I conducted the experiment using the same criteria each time and with
the same results. ( same pressure on the wrist, same position on the
wrist, etc.)

I'm not saying that I'm ready to go out and buy a bunch of these
things but I will admit I am truly intriguied.

I related this story to a friend and he suggested that I was obviously
too busy imagining what she must look like without her clothes on that
my judgement was clouded..Admitedly while I might have considered it
this was not what was going on. So other than to tell me to have my
head examined, does anyone have any thoughts on this?
Thanks, Lenny
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

klem kedidelhopper wrote in message
[...]

So what did the force gauge show ,measuring the force she was applying , in
both situations?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

klem kedidelhopper wrote in message
The other day I was walking around the local mall with some friends
when I was approched by this young girl at a kiosk. She asked me if I

cut

I related this story to a friend and he suggested that I was obviously
too busy imagining what she must look like without her clothes on that
my judgement was clouded..Admitedly while I might have considered it
this was not what was going on. So other than to tell me to have my
head examined, does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Aything that can disrupt negative ions in its neighbourhood
would kill you on the spot.

Your body is literally filled with neg. ions.
Disrupt them -- instant death.

So the lady tried to swindle you.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

This "effect" is simply the power of suggestion -- or a clever bit of street
magic.

It has long been believed that negative ions have a beneficial, not harmful,
effect on humans.

Furthermore, cell phones and various wireless equipment do not and cannot
ionize the air, because their photons do not have sufficient energy to knock
electrons loose from atoms.

Utter bilge.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 19/12/2010 16:09, klem kedidelhopper wrote:
The other day I was walking around the local mall with some friends
when I was approched by this young girl at a kiosk. She asked me if I
was
familiar with how all the negative ions in the air

yawn....

It's a scamming trick, it looks but is not the same position on the wrist.

Applied Kinesiology - How it's Done
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Piu75P8sxTo

http://cynicalreview.wordpress.com/2...rbalancebands/

--
Adrian C

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

**It's an old con-trick. Of course it's complete bull****.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 12/19/2010 11:04 AM, Adrian C wrote:
On 19/12/2010 16:09, klem kedidelhopper wrote:
The other day I was walking around the local mall with some friends
when I was approched by this young girl at a kiosk. She asked me if I
was
familiar with how all the negative ions in the air

yawn....

It's a scamming trick, it looks but is not the same position on the wrist.

Applied Kinesiology - How it's Done
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Piu75P8sxTo

http://cynicalreview.wordpress.com/2...rbalancebands/

That's all to funny.

Jeff

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

That's all too funny.

Not when people waste money on such junk. And please, no remarks about
audiophools, because I don't consider myself one.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 12/19/2010 9:04 AM Adrian C spake thus:

On 19/12/2010 16:09, klem kedidelhopper wrote:

The other day I was walking around the local mall with some
friends when I was approched by this young girl at a kiosk. She
asked me if I was familiar with how all the negative ions in the
air

yawn....

It's a scamming trick, it looks but is not the same position on the wrist.

Applied Kinesiology - How it's Done
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Piu75P8sxTo

http://cynicalreview.wordpress.com/2...rbalancebands/

Interesting review by a self-professed "skeptic", but it's a pity they
were so technically clueless as to not be able to simply refute the
hucksters' horse**** junk-science claims on their face:

POWER BALANCE'S Mylar Holographic Disk (the same substance used to
keep static electricity from damaging electrical components) has been
imbedded with an electrical frequency that restores your body’s
electrical balance, promoting a free exchange of positive and
negative ions and align your body’s energy pathways.

The high density Disk acts much like a switch, resonating within your
system and turning on your energy field while it clears the pathways
so the electro-chemical exchange functions like the well-tuned
generator it was designed to be.

When the static Power Balance Hologram comes in contact with your
body’s energy field, it begins to resonate in accordance with each
individual's biological, creating a harmonic loop that optimizes your
energy field and maintains maximum energy flow while clearing the
pathways so the electro-chemical exchange functions like the
well-tuned generator it was meant to be.

So, class, can you tell us what's wrong with:

o "imbedded with an electrical frequency"
o "high-density Disk acts much like a switch"
o "... begins to resonate in accordance with each individual's biological"?

So much hogwash to bamboozle the technically-challenged, so little time ...

who stands to make his point, then removes his hearing aid as a sign
that he is not going to hear any rebuttals.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 12/19/2010 4:26 PM William Sommerwerck spake thus:

That's all too funny.

Not when people waste money on such junk. And please, no remarks about
audiophools, because I don't consider myself one.

I think a reference to audiophools would be perfectly appropriate here.
And why, pray tell, are you so sensitive on the issue if you're not one?
Don't think anyone's accusing you of such here.

who stands to make his point, then removes his hearing aid as a sign
that he is not going to hear any rebuttals.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

That's all too funny.

Not when people waste money on such junk. And please, no remarks
about audiophools, because I don't consider myself one.

I think a reference to audiophools would be perfectly appropriate here.
And why, pray tell, are you so sensitive on the issue if you're not one?
Don't think anyone's accusing you of such here.

I'm an audiophile, thank you. The terms hardly mean the same thing. I saw no
reason not to dismiss any potential wise remarks before they occurred.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 19 Dec 2010 17:02:07 -0800, "William Sommerwerck"
wrote:

That's all too funny.

Not when people waste money on such junk. And please, no remarks
about audiophools, because I don't consider myself one.

I think a reference to audiophools would be perfectly appropriate here.
And why, pray tell, are you so sensitive on the issue if you're not one?
Don't think anyone's accusing you of such here.

I'm an audiophile, thank you. The terms hardly mean the same thing. I saw no
reason not to dismiss any potential wise remarks before they occurred.

There is a very simple test to distinguish between the audiophile and
the audiophool. What kind of wire was used to wind the primary and
secondaries of the power transformer in your amplifier?

PlainBill
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I'm an audiophile, thank you. The terms hardly mean the
same thing. I saw no reason not to dismiss any potential
wise remarks before they occurred.

There is a very simple test to distinguish between the
audiophile and the audiophool. What kind of wire was
used to wind the primary and secondaries of the power
transformer in your amplifier?

99.9999999999% pure silver litz wire, of course!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Is that a trick question? No tranformer is used. Real audiophiles
know that transformers cause distortion. Therefore, the best
amplifiers are those that run directly from the power mains in an
AC/DC configuration. Some care in wiring is necessary to avoid fatal
electrocution, but that's a small price to pay for less distortion.
However, if you must use a transformer, all copper should be oxygen
free so that it has the lowest possible resistance.

My recollection is that in previous discussions hereabouts, it was
generally conceded that the truest fidelity for transformers can only
be achieved using "wiring" consisting of metallic mercury, properly
contained in tubes consisting of the correct grade of silicone rubber.

Second grade went to wiring make of isotopically-pure silver. Either
of the two common, stable isotopes 107Ag and 109Ag may be used, as
long as you don't mix them... fortunately both 107 and 109 are prime
numbers, which contributes to the piquancy of the sound. Silver's
other isotopes are not commercially useful in this application, even
if successfully purified, as they are all radioisotopes with
relatively short half-lives, and most will decay into utter
worthlessness even faster than a current Top 10 hit.

The silver should be precipitated in-place from a saturated solution,
using the blood of ritually-blessed virgins as the flocculant. [For
tolerably obvious reasons, this means that this sort of wire is rarely
available in my home state of California.]

Even the most oxygen-freed copper is definitely in third place when it
comes to transformers (except of course for the Optimus brand).

( For the humor-impaired: I'm kidding... don't try making transformer
wiring by any of these methods :-)

--
Dave Platt AE6EO

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Is that a trick question? No tranformer is used. Real audiophiles
know that transformers cause distortion. Therefore, the best
amplifiers are those that run directly from the power mains in an
AC/DC configuration. Some care in wiring is necessary to avoid
fatal electrocution, but that's a small price to pay for less distortion.
However, if you must use a transformer, all copper should be oxygen
free so that it has the lowest possible resistance.

Real audiophiles know no such thing.

To -- for a moment -- take a facetious answer seriously, wouldn't using
line-operated amplifiers cause problems with ground loops, especially when
connecting your system controller to speaker amplifiers at a distance? My
controller and power amps have balanced outputs and inputs, and there is
nary a hint of hum even though they are well-separated.

Just in case anyone takes the idea of direct powerline powering seriously...
Transformers permit almost any DC power-supply voltage. Without a
transformer, you're pretty much limited to DC voltages suitable for
thermionic devices.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 20 Dec 2010 15:30:36 -0800, "William Sommerwerck"
wrote:

Is that a trick question? No tranformer is used. Real audiophiles
know that transformers cause distortion. Therefore, the best
amplifiers are those that run directly from the power mains in an
AC/DC configuration. Some care in wiring is necessary to avoid
fatal electrocution, but that's a small price to pay for less distortion.
However, if you must use a transformer, all copper should be oxygen
free so that it has the lowest possible resistance.

Real audiophiles know no such thing.

Unfortunately, I have two audiophiles as customers. They don't
consider themselves audiophiles, but from my warped perspective, they
are.

To -- for a moment -- take a facetious answer seriously, wouldn't using
line-operated amplifiers cause problems with ground loops, especially when
connecting your system controller to speaker amplifiers at a distance?

Absolutely not. As long as you have exactly one connection to the one
true ground point, there's no ground loop. Were one to connect the
neutral side of the speaker to the house ground, there would certainly
be a ground loop. As I indicated "some care in wiring is necessary to
avoid fatal electrocution". AC/DC power supplies are dangerous, but
only if packaged and installed improperly.

My
controller and power amps have balanced outputs and inputs, and there is
nary a hint of hum even though they are well-separated.

Balanced designs are also good for eliminating odd order distortion
products. For the ultimate in balance, there should be completely
separate, identical, and isolated tuners and amplifiers for the left
and right channels.

I once built a DC coupled class A stereo amplifier prototype. It was
open PCB construction mounted on a wooden bookshelf board. Heat
sinking was water filled soda cans bolted to the TO-3 xsistors. Ugly,
but nice specs. Watching the loudspeaker move in and out slowly gave
me the clue that DC coupling to the speaker was a bad idea. Having
the voice coil blow up from overheating was the final inspiration to
get rid of DC coupling. When it was last worked on, it had big fat
caps to the speakers. Anyway, for a short while, it was running
directly from the AC line, just to see if it could be done. It
worked, but I decided that it was unsellable, so I reverted to a lower
voltage transformer infested design.

Just in case anyone takes the idea of direct powerline powering seriously...
Transformers permit almost any DC power-supply voltage. Without a
transformer, you're pretty much limited to DC voltages suitable for
thermionic devices.

I once worked on an ultrasonic cleaner driver amp that was essentially
an AC/DC design. It passed regulatory compliance testing because
everything was double insulated. I suspect the same could be done
with home stereo.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Unfortunately, I have two audiophiles as customers.
They don't consider themselves audiophiles, but from
my warped perspective, they are.

An audiophile is simply someone who takes sound reproduction seriously. I am
one. I am not an "audiophool".

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 12/21/2010 12:19 PM William Sommerwerck spake thus:

Unfortunately, I have two audiophiles as customers.
They don't consider themselves audiophiles, but from
my warped perspective, they are.

An audiophile is simply someone who takes sound reproduction seriously. I am
one. I am not an "audiophool".

Relax, William; I think we all agree with those statements. (Unless
there's some history here of you being labeled an audiophool that I'm
not aware of ...)

who stands to make his point, then removes his hearing aid as a sign
that he is not going to hear any rebuttals.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tue, 21 Dec 2010 12:19:32 -0800, "William Sommerwerck"
wrote:

Unfortunately, I have two audiophiles as customers.
They don't consider themselves audiophiles, but from
my warped perspective, they are.

An audiophile is simply someone who takes sound reproduction seriously. I am
one. I am not an "audiophool".

I don't take anything seriously, but that's just me. One of my two
audiophile customers has a pick-and-place robotic arm running his
system, that someone is building for him. It will flip records,
change CD's, push buttons, and even move patch cables around. It
doesn't do anything better than the current technolgoy, but it's a
great conversation piece, which I suspect is the intent. I suspect
that most audiophiles do as much show and tell, as they do listening
to their systems.

Random fun audiophile photos:
http://www.google.com/images?q=audiophile
Some really interesting and nifty looking stuff floated to the
surface:
http://www.madshrimps.be/articles/article/654/Audioengine-Audiophile-AE2-and-AE5-PC-Speakers-Review/
I like the PC motherboard with the built in tube sound card.
# 831-336-2558
# http://802.11junk.com
#
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com AE6KS

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

William Sommerwerck wrote:
I'm an audiophile, thank you. The terms hardly mean the
same thing. I saw no reason not to dismiss any potential
wise remarks before they occurred.

There is a very simple test to distinguish between the
audiophile and the audiophool. What kind of wire was
used to wind the primary and secondaries of the power
transformer in your amplifier?

99.9999999999% pure silver litz wire, of course!

I was a week late finding this thread, but that was going to be my answer
too- silver litz

Neon lamp negative resistance - neon negative resistance.pdf John Fields Electronic Schematics 14 January 21st 09 03:40 PM
Negative hook? mkr5000 Woodworking 2 February 3rd 08 02:45 PM
Negative gloat! Toller Woodworking 9 July 2nd 07 12:44 AM
Positive or Negative? Steve B Home Repair 15 December 6th 06 03:02 AM
positive and negative meirman Electronics Repair 5 January 18th 05 07:06 PM