Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Smoke detector testing

We do fire alarm system inspections. To test smoke detectors we use a
spray can which contains an inocuous compound.. When sprayed a few
feet below a smoke detector it emits a mist which temporarily obstucts
the sense chamber in a photoelectic detector and sets it off. The mist
quickly clears and the detector returns to quiescent conditions.
I recently offered to do annual testing for the local church and
synagogue in town as a donation. Both sanctuaries have high cathedral
ceilings. The detectors cannot be reached even from ladders. I have
learned that there is an extention pole assembly with a clamp on the
end to hold the spray can. The basic kit takes you up to 10 feet. Then
you add extention poles after that. The nozzle of the can is operated
by way of a cable or linkage through the hollow fiberglass pole from
below and sprays the can. I don't mind donating my time however buying
the equipment which is needed to reach these detectors in the
sanctuaries in both buildings will cost me over 400.00
I was thinking of trying to adapt something but I'm not sure what. I
was wondering if this has ever come up in any other trade that someone
may know of. Any advice will be most sincerely appreciated. Lenny.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 10/26/2010 10:34 AM, klem kedidelhopper wrote:
I don't mind donating my time however buying
the equipment which is needed to reach these detectors in the
sanctuaries in both buildings will cost me over 400.00

Go to a paint store or Home Depot and get a painter's extension
pole. And a 4-6" strap hinge. Duct tape the can near the top of
the pole along with the hinge so it lays over the push button on
the can, use a string to pull the hinge and push the button.

Make believe you're tagging your favorite freeway over pass.

Jeff
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Hi Lenny,

klem kedidelhopper wrote:
[...]

I assume by "spray can" you mean "aerosol" -- like a woman's
hair spray? (i.e., button on top that your fingertip depresses
to release the contents of the can)

What's the ceiling made out of (wallboard, wood, etc.)?

Could you firmly affix can to *a* pole (wooden dowel, aluminum
rod, etc.) and simply press it up *against* the ceiling (hence
my concern over what the ceiling is made of -- lest you mark
or damage it in the process) with its nozzle pointed towards the
smoke detector?

Alternatively, a tree pruning saw (the sort that uses a telescoping
fiberglass pole -- $40 at Home Despot) with saw blade removed and
can affixed below the "chopping blade" (different from the *saw*
blade) so that tugging on the rope pulls the actuating lever down
onto the spray can "button" (?)
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tue, 26 Oct 2010 08:34:16 -0700 (PDT), klem kedidelhopper
wrote:

I don't mind donating my time however buying
the equipment which is needed to reach these detectors in the
sanctuaries in both buildings will cost me over 400.00

Nice of you to leave off the necessary length for the extension pole.
Cathedral ceiling?

Yeah, the pro kit can cost $400.
http://www.brooksequipment.com/Fire_Alarm_Products/Fire_Alarm_Inspection%2C_Testing_and_Maintenance_P roducts/Smoke_Detector_Testing/SOLO
http://www.brooksequipment.com/images/products/600/SOLOST1.jpg
http://www.brooksequipment.com/Fire_Alarm_Products/Fire_Alarm_Inspection,_Testing_and_Maintenance_Pro ducts/Smoke_Detector_Testing
According to some friends in the fire alarm biz, the problem is
blowing the dust out of the smoke detector before running the test.

I was thinking of trying to adapt something but I'm not sure what. I
was wondering if this has ever come up in any other trade that someone
may know of. Any advice will be most sincerely appreciated. Lenny.

I use a 3 section fiberglass extension pole that's about 20ft long.
About $60. (Very handy for antenna tests). Over 20ft long, they get
kinda pricey. At 40ft, the aluminum versions are about $120.

You can get all manner of adapters for the top, including one for
spray cans.
http://www.amazon.com/Spray-Close-6001-Extender/dp/B0014HBQLA
http://www.gotchasprayer.com
http://www.gotchasprayer.com/GotchaSprayerPro.htm
Note that under "applications" it lists "smoke detector testing".
Smoke Check spray is about $10/can.

As an alternative, it might be easier to keep the can on the ground,
and simply project the spray. Get a 20ft long soda straw or
equivalent, attach it to the can nozzle, and spray from the ground. If
you need additional lift, use an air compressor to help move the spray
contents towards the ceiling.

See if this gives you any ideas:
http://www.waynesthisandthat.com/airblasters.html
Fill the Wham-o Air Blaster with some magic smoke liquid, and fire
away.

If you're really cheap, fill a zip lock bag with a blast of your magic
spray. Attach it to a mouse trap. Attach to the fiberglass extension
pole. Connect a string as a trigger mechanism. When in the vicinity
of the smoke alarm, pull on the string, which springs the mouse trap,
which will pop the bag, and release the contents. Rube Goldberg would
be proud.

If you're avionically incline, purchase a remote control electric
helicopter and have a it drag a plastic bag full of the magic smoke
near the smoke alarm. Puncture the bag with whatever mechanism is
available. While not as practical as the other suggestions, this
might be the most fun. If too technically challenging, a helium
balloon on a string might provide the necessary lift. Use a laser or
dart gun from the ground to puncture the bag.

Ummm... this has what to do with electronic repair?
--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ron Ron is offline

wrote:

[...]

Or you could just tie a bit of smouldering rope/rag/cigar/other
combustible to the end of a long pole...

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 10/26/2010 10:08 AM Ron spake thus:

On 26/10/2010 17:58, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

As an alternative, it might be easier to keep the can on the
ground, and simply project the spray. Get a 20ft long soda straw or
equivalent, attach it to the can nozzle, and spray from the
ground. If you need additional lift, use an air compressor to help
move the spray contents towards the ceiling.

Or you could just tie a bit of smouldering rope/rag/cigar/other
combustible to the end of a long pole...

.... and hope the smoldering stuff doesn't get caught on something
combustible attached to the ceiling and set the damn church on fire.

Have you ever been at the bottom of a 40-foot pole with a weight on the
top, trying to guide it somewhere? It ain't easy.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Ron wrote:

[snip]

Or you could just tie a bit of smouldering rope/rag/cigar/other
combustible to the end of a long pole...

+42
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Oct 26, 8:34*am, klem kedidelhopper
wrote:
We do fire alarm system inspections. To test smoke detectors we use a
spray can... high cathedral
ceilings. ...
the equipment which is needed to reach these detectors in the
sanctuaries in both buildings will cost me over 400.00

So, how about a smoke candle stub in a wire-cage, and one of those
little RC helicopters?

Or a smoke-ring blower (takes an oatmeal can and a rubber-glove and
a bit of string) on a stick? You can aim the smoke-ring in still
air...

It doesn't have to be 'official' equipment, does it?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:
We do fire alarm system inspections. To test smoke detectors we use a
spray can... high cathedral
ceilings. ...
the equipment which is needed to reach these detectors in the
sanctuaries in both buildings will cost me over 400.00

So, how about a smoke candle stub in a wire-cage, and one of those
little RC helicopters?

Or a smoke-ring blower (takes an oatmeal can and a rubber-glove and
a bit of string) on a stick? You can aim the smoke-ring in still
air...

It doesn't have to be 'official' equipment, does it?

*********

A lot of air movement with helicopter but I like the vortex generator idea.
Ascending to heaven in a stable interior environment should work very well,
those vortexes travel great distance before distorting or deviating

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Fix a cheapo laser pointer to the vortex barrel for sighting the target.
With cold smoke and barrel mounted vertically you are at an advantage being
able to let the smoke stabilise in the barrel before triggering, for very
symetrical and stable and far reaching smoke rings

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

David Nebenzahl wrote:

Have you ever been at the bottom of a 40-foot pole with a weight on the
top, trying to guide it somewhere? It ain't easy.

I assume guiding the pole is the basic problem. The OP didn't say how
high the ceiling was, which might help.

I changed a 300W bulb about 40 ft up working from a tall step ladder
then using a standard light bulb changing pole and extensions. Three
light ropes were tied at the top to control where the bulb grabber went,
with 3 people on the ground guiding. After about 1 extension, you have
to guide the top as you add extensions. Working on a ladder allows
adding an extension under the stack. Extensions were around 8 or 10 ft.
You could probably kludge the extensions with 1/2 or 3/4" EMT and good
couplings.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 10/27/2010 6:35 AM N_Cook spake thus:

Fix a cheapo laser pointer to the vortex barrel for sighting the target.
With cold smoke and barrel mounted vertically you are at an advantage being
able to let the smoke stabilise in the barrel before triggering, for very
symetrical and stable and far reaching smoke rings

Smoke rings, you say?

Forget all these other ideas! Just get a man-lift and a cigar. Don't
have to go all the way "up to heaven", just far enough to get a nice big
fat smoke ring up to the detector.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Oct 27, 7:13*pm, David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 10/27/2010 6:35 AM N_Cook spake thus:

Fix a cheapo laser pointer to the vortex barrel for sighting the target..
With cold smoke and barrel mounted vertically you are at an advantage being
able to let the smoke stabilise in the barrel before triggering, for very
symetrical and stable and far reaching smoke rings

Smoke rings, you say?

Forget all these other ideas! Just get a man-lift and a cigar. Don't
have to go all the way "up to heaven", just far enough to get a nice big
fat smoke ring up to the detector.

I found a site that someone posted for a company out West. Their
product is actually made better than the 400.00 one and costs less
than 100.00 It comes with a 24 foot extension pole With that and me on
a ladder if necessary will do the job. Thanks to everyone who
responded for all your ideas and suggestions. iespecially liked the
hekicopter idea. It would be an interesting experiment to fasten a
spray can onto the helicopter take it up to the smoke detector and
have a servo depress the nozzle. Don't know if the people at the
church would appreciate the creativity of this though...Lenny
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article
,
klem kedidelhopper wrote:

I found a site that someone posted for a company out West. Their
product is actually made better than the 400.00 one and costs less
than 100.00 It comes with a 24 foot extension pole With that and me on
a ladder if necessary will do the job.

Lenny-

The cathedral ceiling presents another problem to the church: How do
they change batteries in the smoke detectors every six months? Perhaps
they already have a way to get to them if you ask.

Fred
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 10/29/2010 9:05 AM Fred McKenzie spake thus:

In article
,
klem kedidelhopper wrote:

I found a site that someone posted for a company out West. Their
product is actually made better than the 400.00 one and costs less
than 100.00 It comes with a 24 foot extension pole With that and me on
a ladder if necessary will do the job.

The cathedral ceiling presents another problem to the church: How do
they change batteries in the smoke detectors every six months? Perhaps
they already have a way to get to them if you ask.

Maybe they don't. Maybe they just pray really hard.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 29 Oct 10 at group /sci/electronics/repair in article
(Fred McKenzie) wrote:

The cathedral ceiling presents another problem to the church: How do
they change batteries in the smoke detectors every six months?
Perhaps they already have a way to get to them if you ask.

Why don`t call for the FAS-Brigade for changing & testing?

Flying Angel Service

SCNR

Saludos Wolfgang

Saludos Wolfgang

--
Meine 7 Sinne:
Unsinn, Schwachsinn, Blödsinn, Wahnsinn, Stumpfsinn, Irrsinn, Lötzinn.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"klem kedidelhopper" wrote in message
[...]

**You're a fool. Churches get people to do stuff for nothing all the time.
Just don't do it. They're in business to suck money away from the gullible.
Charge them like any other client.

Awhile ago I quote a church on a sound system. They didn't like my quote and
got some idiots to do the job for free. Now I have to come in and fix it up
so it works properly. It'll cost them more than the original quote.

Pay peanuts, get monkeys and all that.

Charge them for the job at your normal rates, plus any extra equipment. Do
not be a patsy for these cults.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

We do fire alarm system inspections. To test smoke detectors we use a
spray can... high cathedral
ceilings. ...
the equipment which is needed to reach these detectors in the
sanctuaries in both buildings will cost me over 400.00

So, how about a smoke candle stub in a wire-cage, and one of those
little RC helicopters?

Oh, I've always wanted one of the RC blimps. That would be great fun
flying around in a church.

"Say Deacon, it's been a month since I last tested the smoke detector
better get the blimp out."

George H.

Smoke Detector Camdor UK diy 8 May 18th 10 03:36 PM
Smoke Detector ? nr Home Repair 4 December 4th 07 12:48 AM
smoke detector No Name Home Repair 6 August 13th 07 12:46 AM
Smoke detector and CO detector installed next to each other? [email protected] Home Repair 2 October 16th 05 02:46 AM