Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Trevor Wilson[_4_] Trevor Wilson[_4_] is offline

Default Smoke detector testing

"klem kedidelhopper" wrote in message
We do fire alarm system inspections. To test smoke detectors we use a
spray can which contains an inocuous compound.. When sprayed a few
feet below a smoke detector it emits a mist which temporarily obstucts
the sense chamber in a photoelectic detector and sets it off. The mist
quickly clears and the detector returns to quiescent conditions.
I recently offered to do annual testing for the local church and
synagogue in town as a donation. Both sanctuaries have high cathedral
ceilings. The detectors cannot be reached even from ladders. I have
learned that there is an extention pole assembly with a clamp on the
end to hold the spray can. The basic kit takes you up to 10 feet. Then
you add extention poles after that. The nozzle of the can is operated
by way of a cable or linkage through the hollow fiberglass pole from
below and sprays the can. I don't mind donating my time however buying
the equipment which is needed to reach these detectors in the
sanctuaries in both buildings will cost me over 400.00
I was thinking of trying to adapt something but I'm not sure what. I
was wondering if this has ever come up in any other trade that someone
may know of. Any advice will be most sincerely appreciated. Lenny.

**You're a fool. Churches get people to do stuff for nothing all the time.
Just don't do it. They're in business to suck money away from the gullible.
Charge them like any other client.

Awhile ago I quote a church on a sound system. They didn't like my quote and
got some idiots to do the job for free. Now I have to come in and fix it up
so it works properly. It'll cost them more than the original quote.

Pay peanuts, get monkeys and all that.

Charge them for the job at your normal rates, plus any extra equipment. Do
not be a patsy for these cults.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au