Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ron Ron is offline

Default Smoke detector testing

On 26/10/2010 17:58, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Tue, 26 Oct 2010 08:34:16 -0700 (PDT), klem kedidelhopper
wrote:

I don't mind donating my time however buying
the equipment which is needed to reach these detectors in the
sanctuaries in both buildings will cost me over 400.00

Nice of you to leave off the necessary length for the extension pole.
Cathedral ceiling?

Yeah, the pro kit can cost $400.
http://www.brooksequipment.com/Fire_Alarm_Products/Fire_Alarm_Inspection%2C_Testing_and_Maintenance_P roducts/Smoke_Detector_Testing/SOLO
http://www.brooksequipment.com/images/products/600/SOLOST1.jpg
http://www.brooksequipment.com/Fire_Alarm_Products/Fire_Alarm_Inspection,_Testing_and_Maintenance_Pro ducts/Smoke_Detector_Testing
According to some friends in the fire alarm biz, the problem is
blowing the dust out of the smoke detector before running the test.

I was thinking of trying to adapt something but I'm not sure what. I
was wondering if this has ever come up in any other trade that someone
may know of. Any advice will be most sincerely appreciated. Lenny.

I use a 3 section fiberglass extension pole that's about 20ft long.
About $60. (Very handy for antenna tests). Over 20ft long, they get
kinda pricey. At 40ft, the aluminum versions are about $120.

You can get all manner of adapters for the top, including one for
spray cans.
http://www.amazon.com/Spray-Close-6001-Extender/dp/B0014HBQLA
http://www.gotchasprayer.com
http://www.gotchasprayer.com/GotchaSprayerPro.htm
Note that under "applications" it lists "smoke detector testing".
Smoke Check spray is about $10/can.

As an alternative, it might be easier to keep the can on the ground,
and simply project the spray. Get a 20ft long soda straw or
equivalent, attach it to the can nozzle, and spray from the ground. If
you need additional lift, use an air compressor to help move the spray
contents towards the ceiling.

See if this gives you any ideas:
http://www.waynesthisandthat.com/airblasters.html
Fill the Wham-o Air Blaster with some magic smoke liquid, and fire
away.

If you're really cheap, fill a zip lock bag with a blast of your magic
spray. Attach it to a mouse trap. Attach to the fiberglass extension
pole. Connect a string as a trigger mechanism. When in the vicinity
of the smoke alarm, pull on the string, which springs the mouse trap,
which will pop the bag, and release the contents. Rube Goldberg would
be proud.

If you're avionically incline, purchase a remote control electric
helicopter and have a it drag a plastic bag full of the magic smoke
near the smoke alarm. Puncture the bag with whatever mechanism is
available. While not as practical as the other suggestions, this
might be the most fun. If too technically challenging, a helium
balloon on a string might provide the necessary lift. Use a laser or
dart gun from the ground to puncture the bag.

Ummm... this has what to do with electronic repair?

Or you could just tie a bit of smouldering rope/rag/cigar/other
combustible to the end of a long pole...